Thread: Wheelin with the DNR

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    GLFWDA Member GLFWDA Member Greenway's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Wheelin with the DNR

Since the state Trails program has been handed over to Parks and Recreation, they finally decided wheeling is good for the economy. So, they want to promote it. They sent a photographer and a writer out to meet us at the St Helen scramble area for a story on what we do and why. They were interested in the rocks as a focal point.

We were supposed to have a bunch of people show up. Jeeps, quads, and UTVs. Unfortunately, only 3 people showed. Pat Kinne, Paul Hittie, and myself. At least the full size segment was represented. The DNR guys were Bob and Dave.

Pat was the first to demonstrate what the rocks were for. With the usual bouncing and bumping, he went right up. While the guys were still bewildered WHY we do this, they had to be at least a little impressed on how easy Pat made it look. Its amazing what an awesome Jeep can do with a great driver.

In order to present a more realistic side of things and to demonstrate what a mildly built Jeep could do, it was my turn to do some bouncing. With some good spotting from Pat and Paul, I made it almost all of the way up before gashing a sidewall.

About that time I remember telling one of the guys I usually leave the stupid stuff and damage to the younger guys that still have something to prove.

We then demonstrated proper winching technique and teamwork in getting a tire changed. Thanks for the help, guys.

With me having demonstrated failure, Paul had nothing to lose by trying a more difficult hill. He did quite well and made it about half way up.

More winch repair and safety lessons were shown and Paul made it to the top.

Having collected and documented the photographic proof they needed to declare us insane, they took final photos of our rigs and us. We took them back to their truck and we all went on our merry way.

It was good to finally feel we were on the same side as these guys in trying to promote one of the recreation opportunities our state has to offer.

Vertically Challenged 4x4 GLFWDA Member phittie1100's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Greenway View Post
    Its amazing what an awesome Jeep can do with a great driver.
    //
    In order to present a more realistic side of things and to demonstrate what a mildly built Jeep could do, it was my turn to do some bouncing.
    //
    With me having demonstrated failure, Paul had nothing to lose by trying a more difficult hill. He did quite well and made it about half way up.
    So as we can see from Gary's narrative, Pat has an awesome Jeep/great driver, Gary drives a mildly built Jeep, and Paul had nothing to lose.

Boy I could really get a complex hanging out with you guys!

Thanks for the write up Gary, and to you and Pat for making the trip. Watch for an article about the Rocks at St Helen in the next couple of weeks in your favorite hometown weekly publication.

Sent from my electronic tether
    Paul - 2005 Wrangler Unlimited
    KD8PAV

Thanks for helping out guys.
    KDSRGON GL#2665 KD8EGK
    Thanks to those that do all the hard work.