Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HOUSE & SENATE APPROVE ORV STICKER INCREASE - HB 4669

GLFWDA Member GLFWDA Member TWEAK's Avatar

Default HOUSE & SENATE APPROVE ORV STICKER INCREASE - HB 4669

June 19th, 2013
    For Immediate Release and Distribution:

Yesterday both the Michigan Senate and House passed HB4669 and is expected to be signed by Gov. Rick Snyder. This bill puts into affect a ORV sticker increase that is long overdue. This increase will continue to add to the funds that help with the maintenance and development of our ORV routes/trails/parks.

With the increase there is going to be an introduction of a two tiered sticker system. Although the logistics of how the stickers will work exactly have not been worked out yet, there will be a $26.25 sticker that basically is only good for ORV's to ride on the shoulder of county roads and then a $36.25 sticker that allows you to ride on state trails and parks where an ORV sticker is required. For SOS licensed ORV's you will be required to purchase the $36.25 sticker for areas that require the ORV sticker even with a SOS licensed vehicle (i.e. Silver Lake, Saint Helen, Drummond Island).

FOR A LICENSE VALID FOR A 12-MONTH PERIOD BEGINNING APRIL 1, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, OR 2018 AND THAT DOES NOT AUTHORIZE OPERATION OF THE ORV ON STATE ORV TRAILS, $26.25.

(C) FOR A LICENSE VALID FOR A 12-MONTH PERIOD BEGINNING APRIL 1, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, OR 2018 AND THAT AUTHORIZES OPERATION OF THE ORV ON STATE ORV TRAILS, $36.25.

Here’s a link with the full details of what is included in HB 4669:
    http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(5ev...e=2013-HB-4669
    Past Land Use Committee Chairman, now serving on the Land Use Committee
    Tri-City Trail Riders President since 2010
    83' CJ-7, I-6 Propane with HEI, SOA, 4.10's and lockers

So, are there enough projects in the works for full size orv users to justify doubling the price? My knee jerk reaction to doubling a fee (that I feel doesn't even support our sport) is to tear off all my stickers and say bad words then just avoid areas that require a sticker, spend money at private parks and go out of state.
    Maria: Can we ride in your Jeep again? Please!?
    Lily: My tooth feels loose, can you use your tools to pull it out again?
    Juliet: Can you carry me upside down to bed?!
    Violet: Cookie?

My pics

Well I still say that's where the state will push all this activity to...private parks. I know most don't agree..just MO.

Lower 41.5 GLFWDA Member Renegade II's Avatar

It must cost a lot more money now a day to drop trees across trails and post signs saying the area has been closed with our ORV fees.

To each their own on parks, no jab on anyone intended. Other than our Silver Lake friends reunion once a year I'm not a fan of park wheeling. Even then, 90% of the time we're just at camp or the beach hanging out. I like to travel off road, even if its just two tracking amongst nature in the middle of nowhere. If they close more trails up and push everything to parks (which all seem to be focused on smash every body panel obstacles) I'll be selling off my 4x4's.

Needin' Time to Wheel GLFWDA Member Jarhead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

For those involved in Trail Maintenance, this fee increase is long over due. GLFWDA receives much of their funding from trail maintenance and pass along a percentage to the clubs/individuals who perform the maintenance for the grants GLFWDA is responsible for. In short, each person that helps with Trail maintenance is giving of their time and monies to provide a service they may never personally use. The last fee increase for the ORV Program was back in the mid nineties or was that eighties; without the increase, the State would have had yet another reason to close our trails.
    Jarhead (Bob)
    Past President GLFWDA
    Former Membership Secretary
    Former Landuse Committee Chair

http://www.glfwda.org/join.html

I think we should start to use the word ROAD instead of TRAIL. After calming down a bit I understand the increase. But as a customer and he dnr the vendor, they are providing me with roads I can drive down in 2wd and anything remotely fun is closed off, I'm not getting a whole lot besides some rocks in a pile. If they can tell me about all the new dedicated full size trails they are planning, ill pay. Otherwise, maintenance on dirt roads? I would prefer unmaintained abandoned trails....

My pics

Vertically Challenged 4x4 GLFWDA Member phittie1100's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    For those involved in Trail Maintenance, this fee increase is long over due. GLFWDA receives much of their funding from trail maintenance and pass along a percentage to the clubs/individuals who perform the maintenance for the grants GLFWDA is responsible for. In short, each person that helps with Trail maintenance is giving of their time and monies to provide a service they may never personally use. The last fee increase for the ORV Program was back in the mid nineties or was that eighties; without the increase, the State would have had yet another reason to close our trails.
    Well put Bob - as I have mentioned in several threads over the last few years, the old $16.25 price rolled forward for inflation would be in the range of +/- $30 today. However the DNR has added 500-600 additional miles to the system, plus the rocks at St Helen and the Mounds, plus the routes on Drummond Island that have at least a modest amount of 4x4 challenge so from a purely geeky numbers guy point of view, $36.25 smells about right.
    Paul - 2005 Wrangler Unlimited
    KD8PAV

I've posted a couple replies to this over on gl4x4. Here's a couple thoughts. We're currently vacationing on the Outer Banks of NC. It cost me $50 for a week long pass to DRIVE ON THE BEACH....... ONLY. $150 if I want an annual pass. This pass gets me no hills, no scramble areas, no drag racing, no driving over 15 mph............ only the ability to drive on the beach.

Whether you like Silver Lake Sand Dunes or not, it is the ONLY dune area accessible to OHV activity east of the Mississippi. Then add in St Helen Motorsport area and you have nothing to complain about.

I'll be the first to say that I believe our trail system sucks for full size users. And I also think it sucks that the closure of Ant Trap and a sign at the bottom stating it is using our OHV dollars pisses me off. Especially since the closure is at the sole discretion of only one person with no revue process. These are issues that need to change. But the dollars we currently spend are worth it.

I see others saying money should be spent on private parks. Although I love our private parks and support them as much as I can, I think the mix of private and public is important. I'm also looking forward the elusive OHV park in SE Michigan.

We currently have some interest from our govm't for our sport. Let's keep it going.
    KDSRGON GL#2665 KD8EGK
    Thanks to those that do all the hard work.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteRhino View Post
    I'll be the first to say that I believe our trail system sucks for full size users. And I also think it sucks that the closure of Ant Trap and a sign at the bottom stating it is using our OHV dollars pisses me off. Especially since the closure is at the sole discretion of only one person with no revue process. These are issues that need to change.
    I agree with you here. It just seems like they open a few scramble areas up for us to use then slowly remove any challenge to the trail systems. They say, look here in my right hand all these cool things we are doing, while with the other hand they remove what should be more important to us.

I dont think this high of an increase is justified. How many people buy orv stickers that dont need to now? At work I have 3 trucks with them because they think if they go hunting in upper Michigan they need them! So, while private parks only get money to operate based on who drives through the gate, the dnr gets probably 10 to 1 on people who pay vs people who actually use plus gate fees for some parks! Granted the dnr deals with more miles of trail, enforcement, etc. But my made up number of 10x the gate fee seems like it has that more than covered.

So what I want to see is a dedicated trail system for full size users (open to quads and side by sides) with challenge areas that are part of the trail (with bypasses) whose challenge sections maintained by an adopt-a-highway method. In addition to all the current trails, parks , areas. Then I'll pay twice as much.

My pics

Lower 41.5 GLFWDA Member Renegade II's Avatar

This.
    Quote Originally Posted by lgottler View Post
    .....So what I want to see is a dedicated trail system for full size users (open to quads and side by sides) with challenge areas that are part of the trail (with bypasses) whose challenge sections maintained by an adopt-a-highway method. In addition to all the current trails, parks , areas. Then I'll pay twice as much.
    I'm not getting down on Silver Lake as a park, it's still fun to play there. Heck, we use to go there every weekend for many years when I stayed west. It just gets kinda "been there, done that" after 30 years of going there.

The DNR's closed unless posted open and grandma's Buick rules will keep parks & rec from making this state a true "trail riders destination" state.