Thread: Why are the NOTICE SOS licensing required signs still up?

Default Why are the NOTICE SOS licensing required signs still up?

A students father informed me during my last safety class that some ''NOTICE Secretary of State Licensing Required Beyond This Point'' signs are still in place even though the County has adopted an ORV ordinance under PA 240.

I think he said it was a section of the MCCCT trail for the Tomahawk cycle trail. If an ordinance was passed under PA 240 to now declare a portion of the roadway under the MCCCT as opened, than what purpose does the SOS sign serve except to CONFUSE operators?

I dont ride cycles too much anymore so anyone with more knowledge regarding this issue would surly be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Bill

Some of the roads that the SOS signs are on, are forest roads or have sections of forest roads or have sections of M roads, which still require a plated vehicle to drive on. If the trail has either of these designations that are necessary to complete, then it will receive the SOS sign.

Received this information from Amanda last month when seeking information specifically concerning the tomahawk to Atlanta connectors.

Quote Originally Posted by mrycar View Post
    Some of the roads that the SOS signs are on, are forest roads or have sections of forest roads or have sections of M roads, which still require a plated vehicle to drive on. If the trail has either of these designations that are necessary to complete, then it will receive the SOS sign.

Received this information from Amanda last month when seeking information specifically concerning the tomahawk to Atlanta connectors.
    Can a local municipality open up a forest roadway or a M highway under their jurisdication by using PA 240?

No, M roads are closed until new bill is made into a law, forest roads require county road commissioner to turn them into county roads, usually they have to work through several orgs and the expense can be high for all the studies required to open them.

So essentially, the roadway connectors from trail/trail for the MCCCT would have to be connected by either a forest trail/road or a State highway?

The mccct SOS signed connectors between indian river and atlanta uses county roads, forest roads state highway and a short 24 inch section. There are no current bypasses that go around the sections that require SOS plating, so the connector is limited to SOS vehicles.

I will be riding it in 2 weeks on my SOS licensed side by side.