Thread: The Tight n Twisties is no more

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    GLFWDA Member GLFWDA Member Greenway's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default The Tight n Twisties is no more

One of the best trails on the Drummond Island Trail system known as the Tight n Twisties has been obliterated by irresponsible logging operations. Much of the area has been clearcut. The trees that made it such a great trail are gone. The trees and confidence markers that marked the trail are gone.

We were able to follow the trail part of the way through during Michigan Wheelers Drummond Island Invasion on April 6 2013. For us, the trail ended at or about N46° 0.512' W83° 35.316'. The trail could not be continued because of a lack of markers and downed trees.

Further destruction of the ORV route system, if allowed to continue, will hurt the Drummond Island economy by decreasing the number of people that visit the island strictly for the wheeling. This is the best route system Michigan has to offer. We must let it be known that further destruction of this resource to Michigan Tourism must not be tolerated by either the public nor the agencies tasked to manage those resources for multiple users of the public lands.

I, myself. have no objection to the harvesting of Michigan Timber. I was employed in the industry a long time ago. I understand the need for wood products. However, the froest must be managed for multiple uses. This company that raped this area could have easily left a 50' uncut buffer zone on both sides of the route so that the route would remain intact. Not only would it be much better fo us, it would be much better for the animals and insects that inhabit the forest that use these border zones for cover and thermoregulation.

Below are links to discussions on on Michigan Wheelers forum. Please leave your thoughts there or here on this subject. But, most importantly, let the DNR and impacted tourism offices know you do not want this this practice to continue. The logging corporations do not own exclusive rights to public resources.

I have heard, but have no way to verify, that this method of logging was not supposed to occur according to the agreement between the DNR and the logging company. If that is the case, then the logging company should be responsible for the costs associated with relocating the Route. If, in fact, the DNR allowed this, then they should be brought to task. Either way, the route needs to be relocated.

Links

http://www.michiganwheelers.com/foru...ad.php?t=22716

http://www.michiganwheelers.com/foru...ad.php?t=22708

The question that comes to my mind is the logging companies fined or penalized for this? We have to jump through so manu hoops but the logging companies seem to be able to get away with whatwver they please.

Worse still, unless the "trail" is left where it is, more enviromental studies and meetingd and years worth of bureaucratic crap needs to take place before a new trail is allowed to be cut in another location. The "system" the DNR has in place is an absolute joke and recreational users, at least the full size comminuty, is continually given the run around.
    Oz
    KD8NFX

Vertically Challenged 4x4 GLFWDA Member phittie1100's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Greenway View Post
    One of the best trails on the Drummond Island Trail system known as the Tight n Twisties has been obliterated by irresponsible logging operations. Much of the area has been clearcut. The trees that made it such a great trail are gone. The trees and confidence markers that marked the trail are gone.

We were able to follow the trail part of the way through during Michigan Wheelers Drummond Island Invasion on April 6 2013. For us, the trail ended at or about N46° 0.512' W83° 35.316'. The trail could not be continued because of a lack of markers and downed trees.

Further destruction of the ORV route system, if allowed to continue, will hurt the Drummond Island economy by decreasing the number of people that visit the island strictly for the wheeling. This is the best route system Michigan has to offer. We must let it be known that further destruction of this resource to Michigan Tourism must not be tolerated by either the public nor the agencies tasked to manage those resources for multiple users of the public lands.

I, myself. have no objection to the harvesting of Michigan Timber. I was employed in the industry a long time ago. I understand the need for wood products. However, the froest must be managed for multiple uses. This company that raped this area could have easily left a 50' uncut buffer zone on both sides of the route so that the route would remain intact. Not only would it be much better fo us, it would be much better for the animals and insects that inhabit the forest that use these border zones for cover and thermoregulation.

Below are links to discussions on on Michigan Wheelers forum. Please leave your thoughts there or here on this subject. But, most importantly, let the DNR and impacted tourism offices know you do not want this this practice to continue. The logging corporations do not own exclusive rights to public resources.

I have heard, but have no way to verify, that this method of logging was not supposed to occur according to the agreement between the DNR and the logging company. If that is the case, then the logging company should be responsible for the costs associated with relocating the Route. If, in fact, the DNR allowed this, then they should be brought to task. Either way, the route needs to be relocated.

Links

http://www.michiganwheelers.com/foru...ad.php?t=22716

http://www.michiganwheelers.com/foru...ad.php?t=22708
    Nicely stated Gary
    Paul - 2005 Wrangler Unlimited
    KD8PAV

Blog Entries

Thank you

Because I Said So... GLFWDA Member srlbotanical's Avatar

Any new updates on the Tight n Twistys? Anyone been up this spring?
    HIGHER POWERED!!!

Blog Entries

We'll see next weekend.