Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: YJ Spring over info Needed

GLFWDA Member GLFWDA Member nick_n_ii's Avatar

Talking

OK hey all this is what I have a 93' YJ with a spring over that was done wrong.

wrongs:Blocks under the front, no high steer or "s"drag link, 4bager springs on a 4.0L Jeep, No SYE

Sye to go in this weekend, Looking at what driveshaft I want to buy for the rear, Rubicon Express Add-A-Leaf for the spring over YJ's being put on this weekend also. What other things should I know or look for? i know that wheel hop can be a issue looking in to different traction bars(ones that won't limit my articulation)Any other Ideas or does any one have a "S"Drag Link they want to get rid of, or better yet a High steer kit for a YJ's Dana 30. Any info will be helpful. Thanks all...........
    A family that wheels together, stays together.....

ganz

Hey Nick.

I have a 88 YJ, 4.3 vortec V6, 4.10s, Trutracs, with a spring over. I am running stock springs with Pro comp rearc springs front and rear. Stock shackels. My springs are mostly staight, maby a little arc. I have about 6 to 7 inchs lift and i run 33 12.50 tires on 15x8 wheels. I also rotated my axles to reduce some of the pinion angle problems. I removed my rear trak bar and made a custom front trac bar with hyem joints. You can use the stock one if you relocate it at the axle. (Raise it up ) I did for a while but it would hit my lower rad hose and put it into the fan. I run a drop pitman arm from Pro Comp, Bump steer isnt a problem. As far as the axle wrap, I built a custom ladder bar of sorts. It is bolted solid to the axle and has a shakel at the trans x-member. It is all in rubber bushings and dosent seem to hurt articulation. and I havent had any problem with wheel hop. Here is a pic of the type of bar I built for mine.

Ganz

I have the Rubicon Express spring over with reverse eyes. No track bars front or rear since I don't do alot of highway driving. I have a drop pitman arm. No bump steer at all. My drag link is staight & I do not have high steer. It has never been a problem. Drives fine but it would be a disaster to have to swerve to miss a dog running out in front of me.

I have the same traction bar that Ganz showed in his post. It is from Mountain Off Road. (MORE) It definitely limits articulation. In fact, from my research, there is not an anti wrap device out there that will not limit articulation on a spring over. MORE admitted this to me.

As a comparison, Ironman has the same spring over as me. Prior to his anti wrap installation, he could get much further up the RTI ramp than I could. I don't know if he has tried the ramp since he did his wrap bar.

I have no idea why you have blocks under your springs when running 33's. I would eliminate them. As far as driveshafts, I found that the Tom Woods heavy duty booted shaft is much more robust than the one I bought from 4wd hardware. A little more money but a nice unit. You should also check out the guys down in Ann Arbor that just joined GL as an associate member. That is what it is all about. Helping each other.
    KDSRGON GL#2665 KD8EGK
    Thanks to those that do all the hard work.

You know my RTI ramp is still set up in the yard, I will run up it today and see how much I am limited now.

I was able to get a perfect 1000 on the 23 degree ramp, but I doubt I will get that now!

I also would not run any track bar at all, just dont go with extra long shackles, they will create unwanted lateral movement and are unnecessary with an SOA. You can use a little longer than stock shackles if they are H style. And by all means get rid of those blocks!

Lifetime member,Past President, Past Memb. Sec.
    Past Corresp. Sec.
    https://www.facebook.com/CreativeFabWorks
    Thank you to our supporters and volunteers!

ganz

I do drive mine on the roads, Daily driver in the winter .
    Im sure that the trac bar limits the articulation. I guess if Im going to be climing rocks and no sand or mud to speak of I would take a minute and remove it . I normaly prep for the type of terrain I expect to be on. I cant say that I have had any problem with wheel hop with or without the bar.

Ganz

I've managed to throw a rear driveshaft right out of mine when I hit second gear low range before I put the anti wrap bar in.

Horsepower does that! :thumb-up:
    KDSRGON GL#2665 KD8EGK

We need to keep trac bar and traction bar seperate, or this could get confusing to someone reading it :doah:

When I said not to run a trac bar that is what I was refering to, not the traction bar in case there was a misunderstanding.

I just came in from running my Jeep up the RTI ramp with my traction bar hooked up and I have lost no articulation at all, scored a 1000! I was not expecting that at all after installing this device!!!!! Needless to say I am excited about these results.
    Lifetime member,Past President, Past Memb. Sec.
    Past Corresp. Sec.
    https://www.facebook.com/CreativeFabWorks
    Thank you to our supporters and volunteers!

Ironman, what Traction Bar are you running? I am sure you made your own. Did you make a ladder style like the MORE one?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ironman &#064; Feb 28 2006, 05&#58;18 PM) [snapback]11154[/snapback]</div>

I just came in from running my Jeep up the RTI ramp with my traction bar hooked up and I have lost no articulation at all, scored a 1000&#33; I was not expecting that at all after installing this device&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; Needless to say I am excited about these results.
    [/b]

Hmmmmm????

Pat, is your traction bar shackle setup similar to mine or did you do something different?
    KDSRGON GL#2665 KD8EGK

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ironman &#064; Feb 28 2006, 05&#58;18 PM) [snapback]11154[/snapback]</div>
    I just came in from running my Jeep up the RTI ramp
    [/b]
    time to modify that thing to 30* :thumb-up:

for what its worth i ramped 918 on a 30 and its all the flex i need