ORV Bills HB4299 and SB0050

There are at least two ORV bills that should interest some of you.

Probably the most important is House Bill 4299. This bill would remove the concept of "eligible counties" and provide that all counties in Michigan can determine for them selves (along with their respective townships and municipalities) to develop ordinances--or to not do so within their respective jurisdictions. Essentially, it makes statewide what is now only the north and some of the central counties, to be able to enact ordinances. I suggest you read it and advocate for its adoption by calling your Reps in the House and, if passed there, calling and writing your State Senators. To me its good news and puts in your hands the ability to influence the process toward an end for which we did not see a path last year.

The second bill is Senate Bill 0050 and it changes slightly the definition of ORV and introduces the definition of an ROV (Recreational off road vehicle). I think this bill, containing many other provisions should also be supported as it better encompasses all sorts of vehicles that could be considered--such as golf carts--but I think it has a firm requirement for these vehicles to be equipped with non-road tires. That is fine with me-we just need to make sure the cart people understand that point. There is lots of manufacturer stuff that needs more reflection than I have been able to do up to now.

If you support them, get others to support them as well by actively contacting their legislative officials. Remember one call is "ho hum," three or more is maybe "my constituency may be saying something to me," and ten or more calls means "the people who voted me into office want this to happen." Look up the committees to which these bills have been referred, and if one of your reps is on the committee--tell them you support the legislation and you want the bill(s) to be brought up, passed by the Committee with a recommendation to approve and placed on the House or Senate Calendar for approval votes. Even if not, call the Committee Chair's Chief of Staff and urge getting it out of Committee with a recommendation to pass the bill.

Steve