Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: What/who got you into wheeling?

Default What/who got you into wheeling?

Growing up in NW PA, my family was into agricultural services and lumber. So as my dad used to tell me the, family got paid to four wheel. My offroad rides were usually log skidders( commercial ones as well as homemade 6x6's and half tracks) and heavily modified 1 ton trucks used for spraying fields.

Pa is a wet and rocky state and fields were usually covered with both. So have much experience in mudding and Rock crawling. Usually doing things, to this day in vehicles that shouldn't be even attempting at doing.

As I grew older along came keys to the vehicles , but so also came responsibility to fix them. When your families' livelihood depends on having a fleet of offroad vehicles 100% available in the short window that the growing season permits, you learn to fix everything in the field quickly.

So this developed into a offroad enjoyment that I currently have the privilege of experiencing across the US today. I never let anything breaking from keeping me from reaching destination and home. Everything is repairable.

my proudest moment came 3 years ago when my wife told me to get out of the Jeep, she wanted to drive it thru the mud and make me film it....almost as good as when the dog relieved himself in the exact spot I did a few seconds before, #1 not #2, though I do carry a roll of Tp with me everywhere.

I got into wheelin because I like the skinny pedal and big tires lol and I love looking at something and saying that looks impossible lets try it

welfare wheeler GLFWDA Member joe_jeep's Avatar

i grew up riding shotgun in my dads 74 cj5 mostly on drummond island. lots of wheeling, hunting, and fishing on the island as a young boy.
    my dads cj was really nice! it was a renegade with a 390 go pack motor, a 4 speed, and scout axles. has alot of fun on the island as a boy.
    dad would flat tow his jeep behind a 1976 wolverine class 26' class c motorhome. my first truck was a 1976 chevy step side with a 396 4spd on 40" gumbos. mudded it alot in the up in college. always wanted a nice jeep. finally broke down and got a 1978 cj 7. then i got a 1997 tj, then a bigger 1997 tj, then my juggy i have now. i also have a lj rubicon sahara and wj grand cherokee limited. i dont wheel as much as i used to, but i still get out when i can.