Thread: TJ Steering Gear Box Replacement

Default TJ Steering Gear Box Replacement

Need some feedback about replacing vs. repairing the steering gear on my 2004 TJ Stock. I was told at the dealer that it's better to replace the entire assembly. Because the seal is on the top, it's possible to have the timing get messed up if you try to repair/replace the seals. Has anyone replaced vs. repair and what was the outcomes? Also are there are any shops out there that would be willing to PM me a quote.

Thanks,

Dave

Dave replacing it is VERY easy. there are very few people left out there that can rebuild steering gears, so it's best to just replace it.

Can u replace it for a dodge durango box?
    Direct bolt in for tj and yj jeeps and its a bigger cylinder. Mine works great..

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the feed back. I did look up the Durango Steering Gear and found a number of web sites that showed this being done. Now I need to go buy and install.

I replaced the one in my xj with one from PSC along with a high output pump... love it...

Is there anything you need to mark to make sure the new gear box lines up and your steering wheel lines back up? Are there any adjustments needed once the new box is on to make sure the steering is correct?

Thanks,

Dave

The pittman arm can only go on one way with a tj... it's "keyed"... I lucked out and my new box came centered already, just parked the jeep with the wheels straight, pulled the box, and re-bolted the new one.....

Go figure...dealer wants $847 for a re-built steering gear box...local parts dealer $247. Can you spell rip off...sure...sure you can.

Look into PSC.. the box has slightly higher output than stock to help with larger tires and lift.... around the same price as local parts dealer.... but better..