Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Thread: UFWDA convention & trail ride

GLFWDA Member GLFWDA Member DDS4X4's Avatar

Tuesday, I had planned to ride shotgun with Jim K, however, once at Windrock I picked up a couple of hitchhikers from Montana. Jim Anderson, the United Voice Editor and friend we're looking to take some pics on the trails.

A group of 3 of us split off from the others, so they could run #39 (an EXTREME trail) and we wouldn't limit their experience, due to us being more stock than built! We were to meet back up with them at the conclusion of our trail. We checked the map we had purchased at the registration shack and picked trail #3 which was listed on the map as a MODERATE trail and was in the same area as #39.

So off we went, my Grand now sporting a newly installed 2.5" lift by Kevin from Jeeperz Creeperz, a similarly equipped S-10 Blazer from Maryland and Chris Boucher (the mate to United's attorney, Carla Boucher) from Virginia in their mildly equipped CJ. The start of trail #3 is easy graded gravel road, after we cleared all the active gas/oil wells, the maintained service road ended and the trail took on more typical characteristics. However as we proceeded, the Moderate trail seemed to disappear into the rocks and climbs. At one point we stopped some ATVs to discuss what trail they were on, #3 they said but this was their first time and they didn't know how it was ahead or how far to the end of the trail.

We were committed and proceeded on UP the trail, expecting it to end around each bend or past each boulder we managed to get over or around. We tugged the S-10 up over a couple of rock ledges that he couldn't quite make with his open front diff. We did find the end of #3 and it was at the top of the final climb up from our last creek crossing. We met the Trail Leader and the rest of the group (including Jim M and Jim K) just climbing out of #39. I asked the Trail Leader (driving a TJ with Rockwells and 49s) if #3 was a MODERATE trail (maybe for him), it seems the NEW map contains a few errors and trail #3 is supposed to be rated EXTREME!

So lesson learned, don't always rely on maps, don't always rely on the locals when they are way BIGGER than you, and always wheel with friends and if possible, consult those who have BEEN THERE DONE THAT .... I should have asked Bob what trail #3 was like in is Hummer! If I had only known!

Oh well, the mild lift made all the difference ... Thanks Jeeperz Creeperz!
    Doug - KD8EDH
    UFWDA http://www.ufwda.org/
    GLFWDA http://www.glfwda.org/
    IFWDA http://www.ifwda.org/

2000 WJ Grand Laredo V8 QD UC, trail rated & Doug tested
    Kevins Sliders, 265/75R16 Cooper Discoverer STT, Cobra 76XTR,
    ARBw/Warn 9.5XP, EMU lift, JKS Discos, Icom V-8000, Garmin GPS

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DDS4X4 &#064; Jul 18 2006, 06&#58;01 AM) [snapback]15797[/snapback]</div>
    it seems the NEW map contains a few errors and trail #3 is supposed to be rated EXTREME&#33;
    [/b]
    Hmmmmmmmmmm, Running an Extreme trail with 31&#39;s :wow:
    So much for uniform ratings Eh&#33;
    j-kb8ymf

Even though I wasnt on the trails the 2nd day I would never drive that far to visit Windrock in the future. It does not even compare to Tellico, or Paragon for that matter, I would rather spend my vacation and money at either of these two.

To that end we are planning on hitting Tellico again soon as I recently found out that my cousin owns a small camp in Tellico Plains
    Lifetime member,Past President, Past Memb. Sec.
    Past Corresp. Sec.
    https://www.facebook.com/CreativeFabWorks
    Thank you to our supporters and volunteers!

One of things I had planned to post was the outstanding gesture by Doug. (DDS4x4) I thought Doug made a real stand up effort to suggest to our one and only trail leader to send him off without a leader just so a couple of us could run a tougher trail.

Doug............. my hat is off to you. Thanks&#33; :thumb-up:

Jim
    KDSRGON GL#2665 KD8EGK
    Thanks to those that do all the hard work.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(WhiteRhino &#064; Jul 18 2006, 08&#58;45 AM) [snapback]15804[/snapback]</div>
    One of things I had planned to post was the outstanding gesture by Doug. (DDS4x4) I thought Doug made a real stand up effort to suggest to our one and only trail leader to send him off without a leader just so a couple of us could run a tougher trail.

Doug............. my hat is off to you. Thanks&#33; :thumb-up:

Jim
    [/b]
    I agree&#33;
    jim-kb8ymf