Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Changes within the MDNR

GLFWDA Member GLFWDA Member Trail_Fanatic's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Changes within the MDNR

This email is being sent on behalf of DNR Director Rodney Stokes.
    Please see below information that outlines changes to the organization of the Department of Natural Resources that were announced today.

I am announcing some major organizational changes at today’s Natural Resources Commission meeting, and I want to share the details with all of you.

We have to do everything we can to sustainably manage and protect Michigan ’s natural resources, while capitalizing on the economic opportunities they offer. In recent years, it has become clear that our department has a central and growing role in Michigan ’s natural resource-based economy and in the promotion of outdoor recreation opportunities.

The Forest Management Division (FMD) staff has carried a large portion of these responsibilities across a wide range of timber, oil, gas, mineral, land, fire management and recreation program activities. Because I believe it’s better for each of our divisions to operate with a more singular focus, I am splitting FMD into more function-specific units.

For that reason, I am establishing the Forest Resources Division, with the responsibility of working closely with the new Timber Advisory Council. This division chief will also serve as the state forester, initially reporting directly to me. This new division will manage state forests and be a major partner in Michigan ’s vital timber industry. The Forest Management Division will no longer exist.

I am also establishing the Office of Land Administration, as part of the DNR’s Administration Bureau. This office will include the oil, gas and mineral responsibilities currently housed in FMD, along with the existing Real Estate section currently within the Finance and Operations Division. In addition, all department issues of trespass, easements and use permits will be consolidated into the Real Estate section’s area of responsibility.
    I am transferring the personnel and functions of FMD’s Recreation and Trails section into the Parks and Recreation Division. Right now, we have two different DNR divisions that promote and manage camping and trail use. Uniting our camping and trail management and promotion responsibilities within a single division will help us realize greater efficiency, improve outreach and greatly boost our ability to establish Michigan as “the Trail State .”

These are big changes, but I believe these are necessary, right steps in order for the DNR to be successful in meeting its priorities and performing its mission.

All changes become effective January 8, 2012. I look forward to working with you as we implement these changes in the weeks and months ahead.

Rodney Stokes
    Director
    Pat Brower

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

If I read this right, the permits for our trails will fall under the Real Estate section of the Office of Land Administration but the trails will fall under the Parks & Rec division. This could potentially be a hiccup. Other than that, does this change mean much to us?
    KDSRGON GL#2665 KD8EGK
    Thanks to those that do all the hard work.

Vertically Challenged 4x4 GLFWDA Member phittie1100's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I always found it curious that the State Forest Campgrounds were under FMFM but the State Parks were under Parks & Rec division. There was talk this summer that the new Recreation Passport system was generating enough excess revenue that P&R might be able to take over the management of the State Forest Campgrounds, not only retaining the campgrounds still open by possibly even re-opening some that had recently been closed. I am reading between the lines a bit, but I am assuming this would now all come under P&R with these changes. It will be interesting to see if the land use, easements, trespass etc through the new Land Administration division includes our event permits if their intention is to pull everything related to recreation into P&R.
    Paul - 2005 Wrangler Unlimited
    KD8PAV

Lower 41.5 GLFWDA Member Renegade II's Avatar

Is this a shell game. money grab of the passport revenue for trails? If so I approve.

We have been in P&R before, But it puts Silver Lake back togeather with Trails and that is a good thing in many ways. Parks got a big boost from ORV use at Silver Lake, We recevied the sticker money, they recived the entrance money.Hope Pete stays at Silver Lake a bit longer he is a BIG asset to ORV,s.

Needin' Time to Wheel GLFWDA Member Jarhead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by signman View Post
    ...Pete stays at Silver Lake a bit longer he is a BIG asset to ORV,s.
    Pete's been retired for over a year now; the State has yet to identify a permanent replacement, but the gal filing the position is very user friendly and accomondating. Pat and I have been to a number of places wherein she has attended the meetings as well. She has plans to do 4WD Awareness Training for the summer workwers at Silver Lake again.
    Jarhead (Bob)
    Past President GLFWDA
    Former Membership Secretary
    Former Landuse Committee Chair

http://www.glfwda.org/join.html

GLFWDA Member GLFWDA Member Greenway's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I see a new problem for departmental infighting. Instead of balanced forest use, I fear the P&R people will be at odds with the timber management people. Which is the most profitable for the state?

Blog Entries

Just received more info:

I have received a number of inquiries asking for clarification related to the Director’s November 10th announcement regarding the reorganization of Forest Management Division. Three positions have been eliminated : FMD Chief Lynne Boyd, FMD Assistant Chief Cara Boucher, and Recreation and Trails Section Manager, Jim Radabaugh.

In addition two administrative support positions (Chief’s Administrative Assistant and Recreation and Trails Section Manager’s Administrative Assistant) will be reassigned.

The Department has created a transition team that will be working on the details which should include relationships with advisory committees. As the Department works through this transition additional information should be forthcoming.

Cara A. Boucher
    Assistant Division Chief
    Forest Management Division
    Michigan Department of Natural Resources
    Michigan Registered Forester #543
    SAF Certified Forester #3388
    Pat Brower

free market capitalist timbercruiser's Avatar

This could be our chance to improve our ORV route system.
    93 FZJ 80 Locked!!

Chainsaws don't kill trees, I DO!!

Blog Entries

Default **UPDATE**

Today's mail attached below:
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Pat Brower