Even if you aren't interested in Jeep Rides (because you have done that!), this is a GREAT opportunity to try out almost anything you can do in the outdoors (with your clothes on). Go check out the IDNR website link for this event or search for it on Facebook. I helped last year then took a couple of hours and checked out just a few of the opportunities (shot rifle, shot gun, bows, cross bow, visited other motorized & equine methods to see the back country). They have water & historical activities and FOOD too!

I'll be in PA this year, so someone else will have to tell me what I missed in 2011.
Doug

2011 Hoosier Outdoor experience - Sept. 17/18
« on: August 07, 2011, 06:49:44 PM » Quote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hoosier Outdoor Experience 2011
September 17 and 18
Fort Harrison State Park
Indianapolis, IN

Jeep Rides!

Once again, the Indiana Four Wheel Drive Association (IFWDA) and our partners at the Indiana DNR, Eastgate Chrysler Jeep Dodge, and the local host club JPFrog Offroaders, will be providing “Jeep” Rides during the Hoosier Outdoor Experience. We are looking for volunteers, drivers, and vehicles to make this event a success!

What is this event?
The Hoosier Outdoor Experience is Indiana’s largest, hands-on outdoor recreation event. Featuring more than 50 activities and 120 grassroots partners, this free weekend provides opportunities to learn about the great Indiana outdoors.
http://www.in.gov/dnr/5009.htm

We will be giving guests a short ride around a dirt trail. The trail has a few “obstacles” in the form of bumps, rocks, and a few little hills. Not extreme 4-wheeling, but enough to give folks new to the sport a taste.

How can I help?
We have lots of opportunities! The biggest need is for vehicles and drivers. We expect to give HUNDREDS of rides throughout the weekend. To keep the lines short, we need to keep a steady stream of vehicles moving around the trail. Roughly a dozen vehicles should be going at any one time, and a few more “in reserve” will give other drivers a break. We will have two 4-hour shifts on each day, and you can sign up for one or more. See below for driver and vehicle requirements.

What if I don’t have a vehicle? Can I still help?
Of course! We also need volunteers to help with loading and unloading (we’ll have a step stool for the taller trucks), and volunteers to work our tent. The tent will have a sign-off form for the riders, and information about off-roading in Indiana.

What are the vehicle requirements?
Pretty standard stuff, with a few special requirements for this event. First, we prefer open-top vehicles (Jeeps, Suzukis, H1’s, etc...), especially if the weather is nice. Other unique and interesting vehicles would be great. ANY 4WD vehicle is welcome. Seating for 3 passengers is preferred, though 2-seaters will be put to use. Other requirements:

Vehicles must be licensed and registered (plated)
Drivers must carry insurance
Functional seat belts or harnesses for ALL passengers MUST be worn while moving.
Roll-over protection (cage, bar, or steel roof) over all passengers
No open headers
Vehicles may be subject to a brief safety inspection by IFWDA and/or DNR. Any vehicle deemed unsafe will not be allowed on the trail.

How do I volunteer?
In an effort to keep this event coordinated, one of IFWDA’s local clubs (JPFrog Offroaders) is managing the logistics. More info and a link to registration is here: http://jpfrog.org/modules.php?op=mod...orum=7&start=0. Contact either Eric Dudley or Ryan Sweany (info below).

I want to do more!
Well, since you asked..... We have also scheduled 2 work days to prep the trail. These are Saturday, August 20th and Saturday September 10th, from 9AM - 1PM each day. We are making a larger and more “interesting” trail this year, so there is real work to be done! Contact Eric or Ryan if you would like to help.

Contact Info - for cleanups, vehicles, and other volunteers:

Eric Dudley
eric@dudleyfamily.com

Ryan Sweany
rsweany@gmail.com
317-709-4813 (cell)