Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How about a build thread? An offroad teardrop...

Default How about a build thread? An offroad teardrop...

There is no section for builds, nor are build threads every really posted here, but I figured some guys may be interested and could offer input from time to time, so here goes...

I've been wanting to build an offroad teardrop for a while. After many years camping in tents, a trip last June set the ball in motion. It rained. A bunch. My trusty tent that had never leaked before, decided it had enough. There were constant streams of water coming through in multiple spots and camping was miserable. After about 3 nights of this, the little lady told me to build the trailer. Woo hoo for leaky tents!

Then we came up with a plan to take a scenic drive while on the way to Florida for our wedding and take the teardrop and camp along the way. So, here we are in February, and the wedding in is April. I've never built one of these before so this could get interesting.

I've been gathering materials for a while now, but haven't started anything until today. I started with a pile of steel.

A torsion axle...

A little work done...

And finally with the axle mounted but still some work to do...

Was only able to work on it for about 3 or so hours today and that is where it ended. The frame still will get a cross brace in the center and the sides need to be finished.

The original plan was to have the wheels set into the body with only about half the tires sticking outside. However, I screwed up. When I ordered the axle, I didn't account for the deep offset on the stock Jeep wheels. They would hit the torsion arms, so I had to get some wheel spacers. This pushed the wheels out so far that my originally planned outside measurement of 65 inches would only be about 3 inches wider than the inside of the tires. 3 inches just isn't worth going through all the work of building wheel wells, so the plan is changed to narrow the cabin to fit between the tires and then standard fenders can be mounted.

Tomorrow, finish up the frame and final weld.
    Oz
    KD8NFX

Sweet! Keep posting those pics . . . I love teardrops!

GLFWDA Member GLFWDA Member Kixx007's Avatar

Can I borrow it for a fishing trip I have planned with a buddy next fall?

Gonna be cool. Good idea.
    I'VE GOTTA HAVE MORE COWBELL, BABY!!!

'86 cj7

oz, not sure if youre a member on ExPo.. But not to long ago there was an extensive teardrop build thread. Alot of good ideas and just about every step was chronicled and photographed.

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    oz, not sure if youre a member on ExPo.. But not to long ago there was an extensive teardrop build thread. Alot of good ideas and just about every step was chronicled and photographed.
    Yup, I'm a member over there too. I've actually cross posted this thread there too. You're probably talking about the Sawtooth build. That one is basically what put the bug in me to build my own.
    Oz
    KD8NFX

Today, I didn't get as much done as planned. Did most of the final welding and got it narrowed down to the new width. Still need to do a few cross braces and such and then the frame will be done.

Also for kicks, while doing a few other things in the garage, I pulled the frame out and set it up behind the jeep to see how it would set. Looks about perfect...

This is how it sets right now. Doesn't look much different...

Back to work tomorrow. I'll finish up the welding and then next Monday will start with the wood.
    Oz
    KD8NFX

STICKY THIS....
    I WANTED TO DO THE SAME THING AND HAVE TALKED ABOUT IT BEFORE GLAD U TOOK THE PLUNGE FIRST AND LEARN FROM YA.
    KD8HLT

Lookin good.. I picked up a cheap pop-up camper and am considering doing a lift on it to pull behind the jeep... kinda like a jayco baja pop-up.

Looking good, Oz. I'm not familiar with teardrop trailers. Will this thing have a soft top or a hard top? Will the bunk(s) be built in, or will the trailer be set up for sleeping bags?
    K1QD--
    '77 CJ7, 360 AMC w/ DUI, headers, Edelbrock intake, Holley 4150, TF999, D300, D30 & AMC20, 4.56 gears, lockers, winch, fiberglass body. York Air Comp, 6" total lift, 35" BFG MTs, Garvin bumpers/racks.