Thread: 1965 IH Scout 80

Default 1965 IH Scout 80

What, nobody's selling anything? Not a post in 3 months? Oh well, I'll liven it up.

'65 IH Scout 80, 196ci 4-cyl, Dana 44 axles, 3 spd man w/ 2 speed tcase, Warn front disconnects, 4wd.

Fully restored a few years ago...not frame-off, but as close as I could do in my garage....it took me nearly a year. I swapped out the 152 for the 196, replaced all brake lines/wheel cyl/master cyl/drums/pads. New clutch/master cyl/slave cyl. Lots of new metal, rebuilt the whole doghouse, new fenders/rocker panels, new floors, new seat perches, new seats. New poly fuel tank on the left, room for another on the right. New windshield/seal. New chrome door handles & emblems. No rust, kept in the garage till the salt's all gone. Removeable soft-top. Custom stainless dash panels, Stewart Warner guages. 30x10.5 BFG's. 3 inch re-arched spring lift kit. Custom front/rear bumpers. Old-school Warn 6000 lb winch custom installed behind the grill with custom fairlead/license plate holder cover.

I've had her for 19 yrs now, I'm sure I missed some things, must see. Runs great, but it is 45 yrs old & has it's quirks. It would make for a great lift project, maybe cram a V8 in there, make her a crawler.... all I use her for now is nice summer day cruises, hasn't been wheeling since the rebuild...I can't stand the thought of scratching it up.

Looking to get $6000 out of it, I've got about 7-8k into it.

crisb@cbphoto.com
    Cris Burkhalter
    313-407-3693

nice looking binder!

GLFWDA Member GLFWDA Member DDS4X4's Avatar

Brings back memories.
    We had a dark green one, white hard top and Meyers snow plow.
    First four-wheeler in our family and we used to go north in the summer and run MI two-tracks.
    So began my passion.
    We worked it and enjoyed!

I forgot to mention, ours had the dealer installed, under dash mounted, optional heater.
    Snow plowing got cold, even in Ohio.

I think I still have the IH emblem from the middle of the front grille, somewhere around here?

And this is the vehicle I learned to drive a stick shift on, back in the day.

Also, it had no seatbelts, until my 2 brothers rolled it one cold winter evening. When it returned from the bodyshop with a new top and a new paint job (that is when it went from stock white to 2 tone green body), it also came back equipped with seat belts, and I have worn them ever since! The roll over (wheels to wheels) made a believer out of me.
    Last edited by DDS4X4; January 23rd, 2011 at 07:25 AM.
    Doug - KD8EDH
    UFWDA http://www.ufwda.org/
    GLFWDA http://www.glfwda.org/
    IFWDA http://www.ifwda.org/

2000 WJ Grand Laredo V8 QD UC, trail rated & Doug tested
    Kevins Sliders, 265/75R16 Cooper Discoverer STT, Cobra 76XTR,
    ARBw/Warn 9.5XP, EMU lift, JKS Discos, Icom V-8000, Garmin GPS

sweet rig...

Maybe I should take her to Barrett/Jackson....naw, not stock enough for the purists...

GLFWDA Member GLFWDA Member Trail_Fanatic's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ah, if I only had money.
    Love Scouts.
    Pat Brower

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Nice ride for sure. If I only had the money........ and the room.
    KDSRGON GL#2665 KD8EGK
    Thanks to those that do all the hard work.

I miss my 67 Scout 800 after seeing it out at the Mounds today.