Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: ORV Education Advisory Committee

GLFWDA Member GLFWDA Member Trail_Fanatic's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default ORV Education Advisory Committee

The Michigan DNRE has elected to form an ORV Education Advisory Committee. The Committee will begin to meet in 2011 and will advise the Department on the administration and improvement of the ORV Safety Education Program.

2011 will also mark the first year in Michigan's history that 4x4 and extraction information will be a part of the Education Program.

I am proud to announce that GLFWDA has been able to secure a position on this Advisory Committee!

Congratulations GLFWDA!!

Pat Brower

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Needin' Time to Wheel GLFWDA Member Jarhead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Jarhead (Bob)
    Past President GLFWDA
    Former Membership Secretary
    Former Landuse Committee Chair

http://www.glfwda.org/join.html

Congradulations on GL securing a spot on this workshop.Its a pleasure seeing that full size gets some recogniziton too.

How does one find out about all the folks who were appointed to this workshop?

Blog Entries

I received a phone call from DNRE today telling me that we're "in" and that an information package has been sent out USPS. If the information lists the other members, I'll post them up here. Otherwise, the Committee is so new, I doubt anything is on the DNRE site yet. I'll do my best to keep you informed.
    Pat Brower

Pat,
    By the way, who's the lucky person/persons from GL to be appointed to this ORV Safety Education Workshop?

Anything on a start date for this workshop?

What was the selection process used to appoint those to this workshop, DNR selction I suppose?

Blog Entries

Sorry Rocky. I somehow missed this the last time I logged in.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    Pat,
    By the way, who's the lucky person/persons from GL to be appointed to this ORV Safety Education Workshop?
    Me. Jarhead will be the alternate to represent 4x4s.

Anything on a start date for this workshop?

What was the selection process used to appoint those to this workshop, DNR selection I suppose?
    They will start later this month and, yes . . . Standard DNRE selection process.
    Pat Brower

Pat,
    you mentioned that you and Bob were selected to secure a spot on this advisory education board.

Until this Advisory workshop,were you or Bob ever licensed thru the DNR ORV safety program as licensed ORV safety Instructors before?

In the past,did you or Bob actually instruct these types of safety classes [ full size extraction ] under the DNRs Administration and hand out safety certificates?

Or did the DNR pick you two based on your many years of experience regarding full size ORVs & your level of experience extracting these types of vehicles? [ I understand both of you are very experienced full size ORVers ]

I completely accept the need to understand proper full size extraction, however, I do not beleive that its the DNRs position to allow youth under the age of 16 to operate full size ORVs and the ORV safety program is suppose to be structured to certify youth under the age of 16, not adults. Therefore, why do we need to add full size extraction to the ORV safety program for a group of kids under the age of 16 who should'nt be operating full size ORVs in the first place?

Perhaps it is your position that it is OK to allow youth under the age of 16 to operate full size ORVs as long as they are certified under the DNRs safety education program?
    Last edited by Rocky; January 19th, 2011 at 04:13 AM.

Blog Entries

My answers are included in the quote of your post, but written in RED to distinguish them from your post.

Pat,
    you mentioned that you and Bob were selected to secure a spot on this advisory education board.

Until this Advisory workshop,were you or Bob ever licensed thru the DNR ORV safety program as licensed ORV safety Instructors before?
    In the past,did you or Bob actually instruct these types of safety classes [ full size extraction ] under the DNRs Administration and hand out safety certificates?

Not under the DNR program but rather under the United Four Wheel Drive Associations' program. There has never been any reason for 4x4 enthusiasts to become State Certified as the program hasn't included any 4x4 information. We are both United certified Master Trainers of their program.

Or did the DNR pick you two based on your many years of experience regarding full size ORVs & your level of experience extracting these types of vehicles? [ I understand both of you are very experienced full size ORVers ]

We were selected based upon our UFWDA certification and involvement with the ORV Program as a whole.

I completely accept the need to understand proper full size extraction, however, I do not believe that its the DNRs position to allow youth under the age of 16 to operate full size ORVs and the ORV safety program is suppose to be structured to certify youth under the age of 16, not adults. Therefore, why do we need to add full size extraction to the ORV safety program for a group of kids under the age of 16 who shouldn't be operating full size ORVs in the first place?

Perhaps it is your position that it is OK to allow youth under the age of 16 to operate full size ORVs as long as they are certified under the DNRs safety education program?

I agree that those under 16 shouldn't be operating a full sized 4x4 (at least without having been through driver's training yet), but there is no law forbidding it. there is only an administrative rule preventing this from happening at Silver Lake SP.

It is now the Department's position to include all forms of ORV in the certification program. I believe (but could be mistaken) that the thought process is that those youths who enjoy the motorized outdoor sports are more likely to eventually obtain a 4x4 once they are old enough. It is in the interest of future safety that they will be exposed to proper driving and more importantly, extraction techniques. Improper extractions kill several enthusiasts every decade. I believe the Department is also concerned about the increased use and popularity of RUVs. RUVs have more in common with 4x4s than OHMs or ATVs when it comes to driving and extraction. While it is true that the youths will probably not use the information before they are 16, having the information disseminated will improve safety in the future.
    Last edited by Trail_Fanatic; January 19th, 2011 at 02:37 PM.
    Pat Brower