Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: A One-Two Punch to the Drummond ORV Route System

GLFWDA Member GLFWDA Member Trail_Fanatic's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default A One-Two Punch to the Drummond ORV Route System

Folks, GLFWDA and the Drummond Island Off Road Club need your help!

We are in jeopardy of loosing the Drummond ORV Route System that was JUST designated this year. We need all of you to please help spread the work that WE MUST STAY ON THE DESIGNATED ROUTE SYSTEM!

Sometime on or around the weekend of September 18th and 19th some 4x4s drove sown a couple of the Island's ORV Trails smashing trees down and widening it out from its original 50" to 72". One trail in particular was a favorite of the ATV crowd because it was very tight for a quad. They are extremely unhappy that it is now ruined. The DIORC is now going to have to spend many, many man hours repairing it and thousands of dollars putting barriers up to keep 4x4s off the repaired trail.

Sometime shortly after that, C.O. Kyle Publiski caught a group of Jeeps from Ohio who had driven around the "No Motor Vehicles Beyond This Point" signs and the large boulders that were placed to block off access on Marble Head and were parked out on the top of the cliff. They were issued tickets.

Needless to say, the DNRE is now quite unhappy with the 4x4 crowd. Unhappy enough that we are starting to hear talk of closing the Route if we can't stop this type of behavior! WE MUST STOP THIS BEHAVIOR! Too many people put in too much work and too many of us REALLY enjoy the Drummond System to let a few uninformed or malicious miscreants screw it up for all of us!

Drummond is the FIRST ORV Route designated for the full-sized crowd. Because it is the first, it is being watched closely by the Department AND the greenies. If we want MORE Routes designated for us (and I know I do!), then we MUST prove to them both that we can follow the rules.

PLEASE PASS THE WORD AROUND:

THIS IS FOR VEHICLES LESS THAN 50" WIDE ONLY, NO 4x4s ALLOWED!

THIS IS FOR EVERYONE, INCLUDING FULL-SIZED 4x4s

If you see a "No Motor Vehicles Beyond This Point" sign, DON'T go past it! You just might cost ALL of us our access on the Island as well as ALL FUTURE 4x4 ROUTES that we might otherwise be able to get designated!

PLEASE help us save our driving privileges!
    Pat Brower

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Needin' Time to Wheel GLFWDA Member Jarhead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have to confess this discourages the crap out of me. How does one continue to fight the ignorance of a few when we have so many that are readily standing by to reduce and or eliminate our access.

I can think of many people that have put a great deal of time and money, not to mention credibility to help put in place what we have on Drummond Island, only for a few to ignore it all for their own personal enjoyment. Their personal enjoyment will cost us all.
    Jarhead (Bob)
    Past President GLFWDA
    Former Membership Secretary
    Former Landuse Committee Chair

http://www.glfwda.org/join.html

I know I just posted this on Michigan wheelers... but how about seeing if the ferry opperators could hand out a flier to every 4x4 entering the island.... after all everyone has to pass thru there... even if it was one just like pat's post above... except also stating the legal consequences of their actions if they coose to go off trail... just a thought

GLFWDA Member GLFWDA Member Trail_Fanatic's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That is actually in the works Dusty.
    We're looking into the price and logistics of having 5 signs made up.
    One would be placed right where you get off the Ferry.
    The other four would be put out at the four entrances to the System.
    Pat Brower

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

GLFWDA Member GLFWDA Member DDS4X4's Avatar

Dumb Ohio people (and others that FAIL to obey)
    I hope their tickets are for BIG $$$$
    Doug - KD8EDH
    UFWDA http://www.ufwda.org/
    GLFWDA http://www.glfwda.org/
    IFWDA http://www.ifwda.org/

2000 WJ Grand Laredo V8 QD UC, trail rated & Doug tested
    Kevins Sliders, 265/75R16 Cooper Discoverer STT, Cobra 76XTR,
    ARBw/Warn 9.5XP, EMU lift, JKS Discos, Icom V-8000, Garmin GPS

It pisses me off that people do this kind of thing. However, it also pisses me off that the DNR is considering closing the route due to a couple idiots. LE knows that no matter how many laws are made, there will still be people who violate them. I don't know how many "incidents" there have been since the trails were designated last year, but it sounds like it's relatively few. With all the work that has gone into this whole thing, it's not like anyone is advocating this behavior. In fact, people are going out of their way to encourage staying on the trail and educating the people who don't know any better. I believe this education needs to continue, but I just don't know what the DNR expects.
    Oz
    KD8NFX

Makes me sad to hear news such as this. Hard to repair the damage on the ground and the damage done with the DNRE. When are these people gonna learn that you just CAN'T tear up our trails and woods with off road vehicles just because you're away from home and act like a jerk!!

Lightbulb

I remember talking about the signs at the fall quarterly, but they only do good if people stop to read them.. that's why I suggest putting a flier right in their hands when the ferry opperator takes their money... much better chance they will read it. maybe something like this.. drummond island route.doc
    Last edited by dustyxj; October 30th, 2010 at 08:59 PM. Reason: added link to document

Lower 41.5 GLFWDA Member Renegade II's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
    It pisses me off that people do this kind of thing. However, it also pisses me off that the DNR is considering closing the route due to a couple idiots. LE knows that no matter how many laws are made, there will still be people who violate them................
    x2

People poach animals that can be legally hunted, are they going to shut down hunting?

You can use something as a reason or an excuse depending on your predisposition toward that user group.

A reason to have stricter enforcement and increased educational awareness.
    Or an excuse to turn their back and say "oh well, we gave them their shot."

They should try a little LE 101 first; Saturation patrol with zero tolerance.

If you do signs or fliers, be sure to post that a reward is given for info resulting in the conviction of violators. I'd pitch in $ for that account.

Angry signs weren't enough?

hi pat this is dan from the drummond isle jjusa group. I couldn't stand the ignorance any more and had to register here to help the cause. I hope the tickets issued were costly enough to send a message to those jeepers from ohio. were they from a club or just a group of friends out wheeling? as far as the trail modifyers. maybe we need some signs placed at major junctions and entery points with brief language describing what trail modifcations are not allowed.
    Last edited by superjoop; October 31st, 2010 at 10:01 AM.