Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: HAM: Drummond Island Repeater Project

Default HAM: Drummond Island Repeater Project

Many of us hams at DOA this year discussed the need for a repeater on the island.

Dave (N8IT) was going to do some checking on towers (existing) and locations, Dan Smith (WG8A) and I (KD8OOL) are commited to try and figure out a way to get this done.

I'm posting here to guage interest and to garner support. Being a newbie myself I'm pretty confident that I am not the right person to head this up, I am hoping that a more experienced ham will jump on board and help out. I know Dave is very knowledgable in this area, but I'm not sure if he wants to head this up or not, we didn't didn't discuss beyond the need for a location study and the potential use of an existing but abandoned tower on Channel road.

It was pretty cool to finally use the 2m out on the trail. The repeater in Pickford is just too far to be of much use, time to get something going on the island!

Volunteers, ideas, thoughtss, etc. ?

I wonder if it would be worth talking with the DI Fire & Rescue guys about a joint venture? They recently picked up a new quad with tracks to get to remote parts of the island quicker. They may need/want better radio coverage for the areas that cell phone coverage is bad.
    75 Wagoneer : 01 TJ : 06 Chevy 2500HD 4x4

I Agree that I think there is a need for a repeater on the island that can be hit from the main land to marble head
    WG8A

MUD SWEAT AND GEARS 4X4 CLUB MEMBER

GLFWDA Member GLFWDA Member Greenway's Avatar
    Blog Entries

We certainly could have used it.

GLFWDA Member GLFWDA Member

The fire and rescue guys are on a State/Fed Installed repeater. That Tower is Off Limits to Civilians. There's the Cable. "Sunrise Communications" Someone could contact them... There is also the ATT cell phone tower. I know that Pat Kelly owns one of the highest spots on the Island... actually not far from the campground. I suggest starting with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Walker View Post
    The fire and rescue guys are on a State/Fed Installed repeater. That Tower is Off Limits to Civilians. There's the Cable. "Sunrise Communications" Someone could contact them... There is also the ATT cell phone tower. I know that Pat Kelly owns one of the highest spots on the Island... actually not far from the campground. I suggest starting with him.
    Steve, who owns the tower that is located between TH Campground and Chuck's? Or is that the one that is owned by the Gov ?

GLFWDA Member GLFWDA Member JerryD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rtikql8 View Post
    Steve, who owns the tower that is located between TH Campground and Chuck's? Or is that the one that is owned by the Gov ?
    This sounds like a great idea! I can't answer the question directly, but there's a great website to check... http://www.antennasearch.com. Just put in a street address and you can have your pick of identifying towers or antennas (and registrants)

Check this out...
    Jerry
    N2JPZ
    "Caveat lector..."

Quote Originally Posted by JerryD View Post
    This sounds like a great idea! I can't answer the question directly, but there's a great website to check... http://www.antennasearch.com. Just put in a street address and you can have your pick of identifying towers or antennas (and registrants)

Check this out...
    Thanks for that website, that's the info we need! The bad news... The tower that I was wondering about is the State Owned tower. That would have been a great location too!

GLFWDA Member GLFWDA Member JerryD's Avatar

I'm not knowledgeable at all about this, but it might be worthwhile to contact the local ARES/RACES chapter up there. I was trying to find a current link for the Chippewa County ARES/RACES, but no joy. Recently there was a posting in GA where the local hams were able to get space an a state-owned tower. I think it would take something like an EmComm group - with GLFWDA support - to even attempt to get on that tower.
    Jerry
    N2JPZ
    "Caveat lector..."

GLFWDA Member GLFWDA Member

Rob, regret it took so long to reply... that is the Goverment tower. I did talk to Pat, he mentioned that you called him,, but as of this morning he hadn't gotten back to ya. Pat is open to the idea... in fact because of his his various interests...he wants to know more...

It maybe you can get on the Goverement tower... but othes have tried and failed. However they may not have gone thru the right channels...