Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: St. Helen Trails

Default St. Helen Trails

Planning on taking my Jeep to St. Helen area in a couple weeks. How are the trails and the scramble areas up there? Worth the trip???

It all depends on what your looking for. There are miles and miles of trails to explore and there are quite a few with decent scenery. However, if you are looking for hardcore crawling stuff, you'll be disappointed.
    Oz
    KD8NFX

Quote Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
    It all depends on what your looking for. There are miles and miles of trails to explore and there are quite a few with decent scenery. However, if you are looking for hardcore crawling stuff, you'll be disappointed.
    Nothing hardcore. Just taking my 6 year old up for a fun time. Are most of the trails open to a Jeep with an ORV sticker? I'm a little confused on where I can and can't go with the sticker. I guess it's safe to assume that the cycle only trails are off limits--pretty self explanatory. What about the rest? I just don't want to take the same loop all weekend.

There is some ORV Routes up there that you could run and require the ORV sticker. There are also a bunch of two tracks and such that are legal to run. Just keep an eye on the posted signs, stay on existing trails, and don't go on anything that looks iffy and you should be fine.

Do you have a Garmin gps? If so, i can send you boatloads of tracks.
    Oz
    KD8NFX

It's worth spending the money on an ORV and going to the scramble area at the St. Helen Motorsport area.
    KDSRGON GL#2665 KD8EGK
    Thanks to those that do all the hard work.

If you don't already have one get a copy of the latest ORV Handbook. There is also one online on the Michigan DNRE site.

There is some ORV Routes up there that you could run and require the ORV sticker.

You do not need an ORV sticker on a SOS licensed vehicle on an ORV route, however you do need one within the Motorsport Area at St. Helen.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7...8330--,00.html
    Last edited by Creative Fab; June 11th, 2010 at 04:59 PM.
    Lifetime member,Past President, Past Memb. Sec.
    Past Corresp. Sec.
    https://www.facebook.com/CreativeFabWorks
    Thank you to our supporters and volunteers!

Quote Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
    Do you have a Garmin gps? If so, i can send you boatloads of tracks.
    Yeah, you might want to ask OZ which of these "designated trails" are wide enough to allow a jeep through without damage. He's like a mouse... if he can fit his nose through, the rest of his (and our) jeep(s) should make it!

Honestly, for what you've described as your intent... there's a lot of fun to be had there. If at all possible don't go alone, though IMO.
    I'VE GOTTA HAVE MORE COWBELL, BABY!!!

'86 cj7

Quote Originally Posted by rentalrider View Post
    Yeah, you might want to ask OZ which of these "designated trails" are wide enough to allow a jeep through without damage. He's like a mouse... if he can fit his nose through, the rest of his (and our) jeep(s) should make it!

Honestly, for what you've described as your intent... there's a lot of fun to be had there. If at all possible don't go alone, though IMO.
    Hey, I was leading (breakin trail in the snow even) with my big wide JK and made it through unscathed. Its not my fault the narrower, more agile CJ had a bad driver. Besides, it shut you up from talking **** about the JK, didn't it? lol

We should go back and run that trail again now that the ground isn't covered in snow and ice. I know of a couple others north of your place that are tight and will twist up your rig too.
    Oz
    KD8NFX

Vertically Challenged 4x4 GLFWDA Member phittie1100's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm game, when do we leave?
    Paul - 2005 Wrangler Unlimited
    KD8PAV