Thread: Skid Plates

Default Skid Plates

Hey everybody. I was just curious what everybody suggests for skid plates. I ordered a poison spider cover plate for my evap canister. What are some good manufactures that offer JK protection?

I run a Skid Row oil pan skid plate. I have heard that polyperformace has a good one but haven't seen it.

I also run a skid row skid plate to protect the engine oil pan.

I have a Skid Row on my JK and I'm happy. I've actually lofted the front end into the air trying to clear a concrete obstacle landing on the skid. I did it about 3 times before I figured out it wasn't going to happy without more throttle than I had wanted to give. It did bend it slightly, but considering what I did to it, it's held up real well. It's also fairly cheap!

On the other hand, I doubt I will run one on my next JK. If you look at the JK, you can see the crossmember and the t-case skid hang needlessly low. The crossmember can't go up too much because of the exhaust, but the t-case skid hangs a couple inches below where it needs to be. Skids from Poly or Treks tuck up much higher, they replace the relatively weak crossmember, and provide a much flatter surface underneath. Both companies are going to run you about $800 for the complete set, but you buy as you go. In the end, it's a much better route, especially on the 4 door.
    Oz
    KD8NFX

I myself have been looking at the Polyperfomance skid plate kits !! I realized after going on the Black Diamond trails and doing some rock climbing at Rocks and Valleys after the Jeep Blessing that the JK's are not protected very well at all !! The thing is through on the Poyperfomance web sight there is different options to buy, if you buy the budget kit its $805 raw steel, if you buy it powder coated its like $975, and then there is the better bigger kit that is $1,275 powder coated and all are $250 extra for shipped !! Then you still have to buy the emissions box skid plate !! Does anyone know if the Poly budget skid kit is just as good or is it worth the extra money to get the moe expensive one ? As far as I can tell they are both the same 3/16th thickness but the budget seems to be smaller in width and have different support points !! Does anyone know what the major difference is ? And does anyone know if I buy the Skid Row engine plate will the Poly tranfer plate and tranmission plate bolt up to it ?? I cant find the tranfer and transmission plates by Skid Row , Do they even make them ?? I know that is allot of questions but any help would be appreciated !! Plus anything cheaper but just as strong would be great !! What should I do ?

Quote Originally Posted by Crazygrady127 View Post
    I myself have been looking at the Polyperfomance skid plate kits !! I realized after going on the Black Diamond trails and doing some rock climbing at Rocks and Valleys after the Jeep Blessing that the JK's are not protected very well at all !! The thing is through on the Poyperfomance web sight there is different options to buy, if you buy the budget kit its $805 raw steel, if you buy it powder coated its like $975, and then there is the better bigger kit that is $1,275 powder coated and all are $250 extra for shipped !! Then you still have to buy the emissions box skid plate !! Does anyone know if the Poly budget skid kit is just as good or is it worth the extra money to get the moe expensive one ? As far as I can tell they are both the same 3/16th thickness but the budget seems to be smaller in width and have different support points !! Does anyone know what the major difference is ? And does anyone know if I buy the Skid Row engine plate will the Poly tranfer plate and tranmission plate bolt up to it ?? I cant find the tranfer and transmission plates by Skid Row , Do they even make them ?? I know that is allot of questions but any help would be appreciated !! Plus anything cheaper but just as strong would be great !! What should I do ?

First, about the powder coat. If you wheel, don't waste your money on the powder coat. When you smack a rock or something it'll just get ripped off anyway so it'll be a waste of money. Rattle can them and call it good. Also, in my experiance, powder coat on anything only lasts a couple years on a jeep in michigan before it'll crach and then water gets under it and it'll go to hell quickly after that. Paint may not last as long, but it's cheaper and easier to sand blast off and much cheaper to apply.

As for Poly stuff, I love everything I have from them. It's all top quality and their prices aren't out of line from any of the other kits out there. If it were me, I'd go Poly or even Treks. Treks is a bit cheaper. Both Treks and Poly have a "budget" kit. Basically, the budget kit is so it'll work with a long arm kit. The bigger plate may not work with all long arms. Also, the budget kit still covers everything that's important. They don't really cover the cats, but they are tucked up pretty good anyway so I doubt it would be a big deal. Still though, the Treks complete system is like 800 bucks. Also, to save on shipping, UORC or Ironman, or even Jeepers Creepers can order either and then save you the shipping.

As for the Skid Row, it attached to the factory crossmember. I don't know the compatibility with the aftermarket crossmembers. If they are stock design it should work, but I don't know. Then again, that would be a waste because the engine skid is about the same price for any of them if you are only looking at that piece. In other words, if you are buying a different crossmember, just buy the matching engine skid. Also, to my knowledge, Skid Row doesn't make any other skids to go with it. Besides, you would need to replace that crossmember anyway.
    Oz
    KD8NFX

Thanks for the advice , I agree about the powder coat , I will probably just stick with Poly , and just use the rock guard paint and touch it up as needed just to try to keep the rust under control ! And Im glad you mentioned that about the buget kit being smaller to fit a long arm because I plan on putting a Full Traction long arm on my Jeep and in a way I think the bars from the long arm will protect the cats to a certain degree !! Thanks Again !!

The biggest problems with the unlimiteds are that they are low as hell. I have skid row skidplate but I managed to bend my transmission crossmember. Hence am ordering poly standard skid plate system in which they replace the oem transmission crossmember with a beefier crossmember and cover it up with a skid plate. It cost $1055 and you can call them for shipping. To Oak park its $150 max shipping. Also the skid row skid plate will not fit poly's transmission skid plate. So you have to replace the skid row skid plate if you are putting poly skid plates..