PDA

View Full Version : Sept. trail maintenance and the pig gig

Zookeeper
January 13th, 2006, 11:48 PM
Yogi's Pig Gig in West Branch will be on Sept. 9 this year. That's a GLFWDA trail maintenance date for West Branch. We really should think about how to bring these two events into harmony.

Thoughts?

Jeeperz-Creeperz
January 14th, 2006, 02:24 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Zookeeper &#064; Jan 13 2006, 11&#58;48 PM) 8084</div>

Yogi&#39;s Pig Gig in West Branch will be on Sept. 9 this year. That&#39;s a GLFWDA trail maintenance date for West Branch. We really should think about how to bring these two events into harmony.

Thoughts?
[/b]
Yes, and no.

I think that it would be great if we could get some of the attendees of the pig gig out for trail maintenance but I don&#39;t think the pig gig should be seen as a GL event since it is kind of it&#39;s own monster.

What I mean is that the pig gig is Yogi&#39;s thing and we should let him do it the way he wants to. If you&#39;re a GL member going out for trail maintenance I would recommend you think about going to the pig gig afterwards.

Roadhouse
January 14th, 2006, 02:40 PM
I had planned on being at the Pig Gig, not so much for the trailriding but more for the social part of it....as really thats the only good part about the event. I will come help with maint for the day, and see if I can get anyone to head out there with me.

Zookeeper
January 14th, 2006, 05:34 PM
I wasn&#39;t suggesting we make a sanctioned event, but it seems a tremendous opportunity to spread the word about GLFWDA. Maybe a short -- very short -- presentation during the awards ceremony. I have gone to the pig gig for several years now and have a good time. I want to do trail maintenance this year, too. In trying to figure out how to do this, I came up with my "can&#39;t there be some harmony?" question.

We certainly should do a membership drive of some sort at the pig gig regardless. The new question is what could we do? I will touch base with Yogi and see if he has any thoughts on how we can help and/or participate in the gig this year.

Roadhouse
January 14th, 2006, 06:43 PM
Hopefully Pat or Jim will chime in here, but what is the purpose of the Sept trail maint in West Branch? I see we are doing two days in WB in the spring......is the fall one just the run through to check everything out?

kb8ymf
January 14th, 2006, 08:50 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Roadhouse66 &#064; Jan 14 2006, 06&#58;43 PM) 8120</div>

Hopefully Pat or Jim will chime in here, but what is the purpose of the Sept trail maint in West Branch? I see we are doing two days in WB in the spring......is the fall one just the run through to check everything out?
[/b]

Two days in the spring was based on us getting the additional miles that Over the Hill Gang didn&#39;t take. Latest word from Paul is that They DID end up coming on board and taking the miles. So we&#39;re probably down to one day in the spring.
The Fall maintenance is a DNR requirement. We must give the trail a &#39;once over&#39; If never needs much just a sign or two.

On the whole &#39;conflicting date&#39; thing. Well...............I think G.L would/(did) have gotten thrown out on their ear in the past, but maybe if we can get this bus to turn the corner we might be able to gain some momentum from attending Marv&#39;s gig. I don&#39;t want to take away from his event and I don&#39;t think the maintenance will.

We&#39;ll just have to see how the relationship goes this summer.
jim - kb8ymf

DDS4X4
January 14th, 2006, 09:36 PM
At one time, Yogi had suggested allowing GL a brief slot for a safety/education presentation. Perhaps this could be a teaser to others outside the GL ranks to participate in a full blown Safety Awareness course, if Pat could have it scheduled and ready to go sometime after the Gig.

WhiteRhino
January 14th, 2006, 09:48 PM
Yes, I believe we have been invited both of the last two years. Personally, I have had conflicts both times. I suggest stopping too much conversation here until someone contacts Yogi direct. It really doesn&#39;t matter what is discussed here until we get Yogi&#39;s reaction.

Roadhouse
January 14th, 2006, 10:21 PM
What is it that we really need to contact Jim(Yogi) about? I can do that if need be. If the fall maint date is the follow up to make sure things are okay, then we shouldn&#39;t need much help.
I know Jim cant switch the date, as I beleive that was the only one that worked out for Marv. I know Jim would like some representation from GL, he did last year, but it conflicted with GG.

Zookeeper
January 14th, 2006, 11:47 PM
I&#39;ve contacted Yogi via PMs here and at Michigan Jeepers. I should hear something soon, if not, I&#39;ll contact via a more direct method.

Zookeeper
January 15th, 2006, 09:39 AM
MAybe we could use the Pig Gig as part of a membership drive and offer prizes and discounts to get attention.

Every year, Jim (Yogi), collects some good prizes to raffle off. Why couldn&#39;t we make one of the raffle items a one-year membership and anothe prize a half-price membership?

Also, we could set up an info table about GLFWDA that can be around during the meal, etc. Then we can continue the membership drive by offering discounted memberships for people who sign up while at the pig gig or offer a buy one get one half off type of deal?

Creative Fab
January 15th, 2006, 10:57 AM
All good ideas, any word from Yogi yet?

GL owns a easy up canopy and a table we could use.

Brian
January 16th, 2006, 06:15 AM
This all sounds like a good idea to me. I was not there last year but two years ago Yogi handed out a GLFWDA brochure to everyone while we waited in line for dinner. I have his phone number so let me know if you have a problem getting a hold of him though PMs and I will call him.

yogi
January 16th, 2006, 06:48 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Brian &#064; Jan 16 2006, 03&#58;15 AM) 8182</div>

This all sounds like a good idea to me. I was not there last year but two years ago Yogi handed out a GLFWDA brochure to everyone while we waited in line for dinner. I have his phone number so let me know if you have a problem getting a hold of him though PMs and I will call him.
[/b]

hey iam here any if you want to set up a booth you can do it iam sure we can get some volenteers for trail mantenance too.part of the raffle donation can come to GL JUST LET ME KNOW I DONATED ALL MONEYS TO RED CROSS d.r FUND LAST YEAR

YOGI

WhiteRhino
January 16th, 2006, 10:00 PM
Not to hijack this thread but......................

Welcome back Yogi&#33; :bigemo_harabe_net-64:

Jim

Zookeeper
January 16th, 2006, 10:57 PM
Yogi and I have been in contact and we are starting to plot the conspiracy...um, I mean, "discuss ideas related to the pig gig and glfwda." :ph34r:

T-way
January 22nd, 2006, 08:22 PM
It&#39;s a possibility that I could swing by there after trail maintenance. I&#39;d be happy to man a booth and do whatever I could to promote Great Lakes.

Perhaps set up the canopy, set up a TV and DVD player, and run the DVD that Muddy Paws put together from GG last year. That would be a great way to showcase GL and some of the wheeling we do&#33;

Zookeeper
January 22nd, 2006, 10:20 PM
:bigemo_harabe_net-179:

yogi
January 23rd, 2006, 10:23 AM
well try and get there by 5 cuz thats when we eat :bigemo_harabe_net-74:

then raffle give away at dark around 8-830

yogi