PDA

View Full Version : Parking garage / Diesel Unlimited?

Creative Fab
January 13th, 2006, 11:24 AM
Now that I let you guys chew on some pics from inside the auto show I will tell you what was in the Joe Luis arena parking structure. It is not a big secret as the gentlemen was driving it around town and elsewhere.

It was I first thought to be, an Unlimited, not out of the ordinary to see right? But this was rattleling a bit as it drove by, and it had a familiar aroma rising from it's tail pipe. Could it be Diesel? The next time it passed us in pursuit of a parking space, I concluded it was a Diesel but not an Unlimited. Much longer it seemed, I had to flag the driver down and ask questions.

As it turns out I correct in both observations, it was also being driven by an ex GL member who now works for DC and more specifically Jeep Special Programs Engineering. And of course I asked if it is something we will see and drive sometime down the road and of course he couldnt say one way or the other. However he did say that if it is in the Liberty and going into the new Grand that I could decide for myself. I took that as a yes!

This engineer is also a member of the Mudchuggers and will be helping out with Sno-Blind this year so maybe you will see this Jeep there? We did talk a little GL and I told him what we have been up to and encouraged him and his wheeling buddie to come and take a look at the "New GL", so we will see where that goes.

Someday in the future look for me on the trail in a Diesel version of the TK, or whatever they designate it as when the time comes to release it. And hopefully it will be dressed in the Rubicon Outfit!

Pat

Roadhouse
January 13th, 2006, 05:47 PM
I'm 99% sure I know who you are talking about, and I'm glad you had a chance to talk to him, as he is a member of two clubs.

I don't know the reliability of the 2.8L in the Libbys, but we have two at work and they are awesome little motors for now. Tons of power for a 4cyl.
I'm holding out and hoping they offer that Gladiator pickup or some form of it with the deisel. I'm also interested and seeing if Ford or Chevy will follow through on the V-6 diesels in Expedition/F-150 and Tahoe/Yukon........I just hope it isn't 5 or more years out.

joe_jeep
February 3rd, 2006, 10:05 AM
i drive a semi for a living and i realize the power of a good deisel, but i wouldnt want one to use off road. there so heavy, no rpms, expensive repair bills, too much torque will break driveline components like a blown big block.
plus they just smell like hell. a tow rig sure not on the trail though!