View Full Version : ORV/State Park Permit laws

Zookeeper
January 5th, 2006, 08:37 PM
I told folks a while ago that I was working with Sen. Michelle McManus to update the ORV laws so that if you need a replacement ORV permit you could get one. This was prompted when I changed bumpers and had to buy a new permit.

The senator and her staff have been very good to work with on this and the result is Senate Bill 924. In addition, they addressed the issue of people who need replacement motor vehicle stickers for the state parks.

The change to the law is pretty basic. It essentially says that if you need a replacement ORV permit or state park sticker, the department shall give you one free of charge if you can provide sufficient evidence of loss or destruction of the original permit or sticker.

This bill has been referred to the Senate's Committee on Natural Resources. I'll keep you posted on what is happening with this bill, but if you'd like to show support for the senator's efforts, you can do so here: Sen. McManus' legislative comment form (http://www.senate.michigan.gov/ima_form.asp?name=COMMENT35&form_path=c:/webforms/rep)

SKIP
January 5th, 2006, 08:41 PM
:bigemo_harabe_net-64:

Jarhead
January 6th, 2006, 05:54 AM
AWESOME! :bigemo_harabe_net-64:

kb8ymf
January 6th, 2006, 07:44 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Zookeeper &#064; Jan 5 2006, 08&#58;37 PM) 7666</div>

The change to the law is pretty basic. It essentially says that if you need a replacement ORV permit or state park sticker, the department shall give you one free of charge if you can provide sufficient evidence of loss or destruction of the original permit or sticker.

This bill has been referred to the Senate&#39;s Committee on Natural Resources. I&#39;ll keep you posted on what is happening with this bill, but if you&#39;d like to show support for the senator&#39;s efforts, you can do so here: Sen. McManus&#39; legislative comment form (http://www.senate.michigan.gov/ima_form.asp?name=COMMENT35&form_path=c:/webforms/rep)
[/b]

This provision was in the original ORV law P.A. 319 but was removed when it redone @ P.A 451.
One other provision I&#39;d like to see but BACK in that was there before and is in other ORV laws through out the U.S., that is reciprocity. Meaning, if I don&#39;t need to buy your ORV sticker when I&#39;m in your state, you don&#39;t need to buy mine. I believe it was thrown out because it was felt that there was little or no way of checking.
jim - kb8ymf

Zookeeper
January 6th, 2006, 09:38 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kb8ymf &#064; Jan 6 2006, 04&#58;44 AM) 7698</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Zookeeper &#064; Jan 5 2006, 08&#58;37 PM) 7666

This bill has been referred to the Senate&#39;s Committee on Natural Resources. I&#39;ll keep you posted on what is happening with this bill, but if you&#39;d like to show support for the senator&#39;s efforts, you can do so here: Sen. McManus&#39; legislative comment form (http://www.senate.michigan.gov/ima_form.asp?name=COMMENT35&form_path=c:/webforms/rep)
[/b]

This provision was in the original ORV law P.A. 319 but was removed when it redone @ P.A 451.
One other provision I&#39;d like to see but BACK in that was there before and is in other ORV laws through out the U.S., that is reciprocity. Meaning, if I don&#39;t need to buy your ORV sticker when I&#39;m in your state, you don&#39;t need to buy mine. I believe it was thrown out because it was felt that there was little or no way of checking.
jim - kb8ymf
[/b][/quote]

That&#39;s in the works, too. Senate Bill 398 (Stamas) is designed to allow for "mutlistate recreation passes."

The bill has passed the Senate and is in the House Committee on Conservation, Forestry, and Outdoor Recreation. I haven&#39;t heard about its chances in committee yet. You might contact the committee chairman (Rep. Casperson) to encourage his moving the bill.

Zookeeper
November 15th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Great news&#33; SB 924 passed the state Senate unanimously yesterday and was sent to the House. It was referred to the Committee on Conservation, Forestry, and Outdoor Recreation, chaired by Rep. Tom Casperson.

There are only a couple of weeks of session left in which to get this bill completed, but I&#39;ve heard there&#39;s a decent chance of this happening.

Please take a minute to contact Rep. Casperson at tomcasperson@house.mi.gov and ask him to move the bill out of committee and to the House floor for a full vote ASAP.

Time is running out&#33;&#33; :ahhh:

mytacoma
December 12th, 2006, 06:44 PM
Good deal&#33; Yea i actually heard back from them. This is a first for me. Pretty cool&#33; It is easy to do and it could make a difference. That&#39;s something everybody could do and if you continue to provide the instructions I&#39;m sure more people would be willing to write.

December 7, 2006

Dear Mr. Wine:

Thank you for contacting me with your support for Senate Bill 924. I appreciated hearing from you.

You will be happy to know the bill passed the Senate unanimously on November 14, 2006. It is currently before the full House for consideration.

Again, thank you for contacting me. If you have any further questions on this or any other state matter, please do not hesitate to contact me again.

Sincerely,

Michelle A. McManus

State Senator

35th District

MAM:ag

Trail_Fanatic
December 12th, 2006, 10:29 PM
Sweet&#33;

Thanks Ari.
Keep us informaed&#33;

WhiteRhino
December 13th, 2006, 07:07 AM
Good job Ari&#33;

By the way, when I visited the Iron Range ORV park, they told me my Michigan sticker would be honored. Don&#39;t know if that is true for sure but it sounded good.............

Zookeeper
December 16th, 2006, 02:46 PM
We&#39;re almost there folks&#33;&#33; The House and Senate have both approved Senate Bill 924 and it&#39;s headed to the governor&#39;s desk. She has to decide within two weeks to sign it or veto it, or she can sit on it until the end of the year and do a "pocket veto" which means it doesn&#39;t take effect and she doesn&#39;t have to take a position on it.

If you want, you can send an e-mail to Jenny G. and ask her to sign it.

http://www.michigan.gov/gov/0,1607,7-168-2...65331--,00.html (http://www.michigan.gov/gov/0,1607,7-168-21992_21995-65331--,00.html)

The bill was given "immediate effect" by the Legislature, so if the governor signs it, it takes effect immediately&#33; :monkeydance:

Zookeeper
December 21st, 2006, 10:57 PM
We did it -- it&#39;s the law&#33;&#33;&#33;

Senate Bill 924 has been signed by the governor and is now Public Act 477 of 2006.

It means that if you need a replacement ORV sticker or a DNR park permit window sticker, the DNR must issue one to you if you can prove the old one has been damaged or destroyed. :monkeydance:

Thanks to all who wrote to their legislators and/or the governor about this.

n8big
January 3rd, 2007, 09:26 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Zookeeper &#064; Dec 21 2006, 10&#58;57 PM) 20843</div>

Senate Bill 924 has been signed by the governor and is now Public Act 477 of 2006.

It means that if you need a replacement ORV sticker or a DNR park permit window sticker, the DNR must issue one to you if you can prove the old one has been damaged or destroyed. :monkeydance:

[/b]

Sweet&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; You guys ROCK.... :yourock:

Trail_Fanatic
January 3rd, 2007, 07:54 PM
Nate?
Your here?&#33;

GREAT&#33;
GLAD to see it&#33;