PDA

View Full Version : Tahquamenon Swamp Rats

phantomjeep
January 16th, 2010, 12:11 AM
Returning member from the great 4X4 days. 70's & 80's . Still 4 wheeling with the same 63 j200 truck and adding to the fleet with M 715 and 6X6's too.
Just looking to see if any other swamp rats are still around???

DDS4X4
January 16th, 2010, 07:12 AM
HELLO and WELCOME back! :wave:

Been to Whitefish, but not with the GLFWDA Swamprats :thumb:
My schedule just must not have worked out back then.

Did make a Smokey Mountain Trek with Clyde and Linda Christmas in the early '80s. :thumb::thumb:
Even have a trophy to prove it somewhere around here.

And a few Sand-O-Ramas. :woot:

Don't have my '78 IH Scout any more, the family out grew it.
The kids have moved on so now we're wheelin' a 2000 WJ.
Then again, we do have 5 Jeeps in the family too, so they (the kids) must have picked up some interest along the way.

Where you located?

Come to Traverse City in June and you might see some folks that are still around at the UFWDA AGM. :blahblah:

WhiteRhino
January 16th, 2010, 07:35 AM
I'm also a returning member from the 70's and 80's. I rejoined in 2002 or 3. I ran the Tahquamenon runs back then with a Chevy powered fiberglass CJ5. ahhhhh....... the good old days.

Welcome back!

phittie1100
January 16th, 2010, 09:27 AM
I'm too wet behind the ears to have any idea what you are talking about, but welcome back to GLFWDA!

calvynandhobbs
January 16th, 2010, 10:05 PM
Welcome back :wave: I haven't been around long enough to know about the old days.

phantomjeep
January 16th, 2010, 11:23 PM
Yes have spent many year in the Traverse city area on the power lines and fife lake area. I was with the wildweed club for years. worked for davis electric co., but live up in Horton Bay.

DDS4X4
January 17th, 2010, 08:32 AM
Hey, we were close to your area last Fall for the Trolls Fall Color Tour. We met in Boyne City, I believe, and made our way over to Wolverine.

http://www.glfwda.org/showthread.php?t=8514

T-way
January 17th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Welcome back! I've been around a long time, but never took part in any of the Tahquamenon Swamp Runs back in the day.

Nice to see you here again!

:thumb:

Creative Fab
January 17th, 2010, 07:47 PM
I never made the TQ runs but did participate in the Smokey Mountain Trek, or venture as it was later known. I ran with Delta for a few years before starting the Tri_City Trailriders, welcome back by the way.

timbercruiser
January 18th, 2010, 12:00 AM
Nice avatar. Crisp Point lighthouse

Jarhead
January 18th, 2010, 10:48 AM
:wave:Hello and Welcome Aboard!

phantomjeep
January 18th, 2010, 10:00 PM
I never made the TQ runs but did participate in the Smokey Mountain Trek, or venture as it was later known. I ran with Delta for a few years before starting the Tri_City Trailriders, welcome back by the way.

Was Delta the club that ran the TOR drags and obstacle course, by the now Zilwaukees bridge. were there many times, and ran the drag start line.

phantomjeep
January 18th, 2010, 10:14 PM
Nice avatar. Crisp Point lighthouse

CP is one of the lighthouses I have helped restore. Do you know where this one is??? did the power up on this one after many years of neglect heavy fog and stayed over nite on 10-30 ,to 11-3 boooooo got the power back on at 2:30 AM 10-31. yup couldn't sleep. to creepy

phantomjeep
January 18th, 2010, 10:27 PM
River crossing big no no now, but it was fun and a chalange to do. Stuff our kid will not get to do.

Creative Fab
January 19th, 2010, 12:43 AM
Was Delta the club that ran the TOR drags and obstacle course, by the now Zilwaukees bridge. were there many times, and ran the drag start line.

Yes that was Delta, before my time however.

oz97tj
January 19th, 2010, 02:31 AM
The old pictures are cool!

timbercruiser
January 20th, 2010, 09:30 AM
CP is one of the lighthouses I have helped restore. Do you know where this one is??? did the power up on this one after many years of neglect heavy fog and stayed over nite on 10-30 ,to 11-3 boooooo got the power back on at 2:30 AM 10-31. yup couldn't sleep. to creepy

I don't know where that one is. Cool river crossing pics.

phantomjeep
January 20th, 2010, 06:15 PM
I don't know where that one is. Cool river crossing pics.

Beaver Island south head lighthouse, were there 7 days and 4 wheeled 3/4 the way around the island on the beach, there were very few homes on the water front back then. great driftwood picking.