PDA

View Full Version : Question from Florida

ripp6957
December 24th, 2009, 06:29 PM
I'll be moving to the UP soon, and I need some advice about plowing snow. But first, I'm 52 and recently retired from the fire department. I can't wait to move north and get out of this heat! We bought a house near Munising. I have an '80 CJ-5 with a Buick V-6. Will this be suitable for plowing snow? I was going to get an F-250 4 door, but I'm betting it'll be difficult to manuver around the driveway. As agile as my -5 is, it seems it would be great to plow with. Will the light weight be a factor against me?
Any input will be greatly appreciated, as I sure love my Jeep and don't want to leave it here in FL. Also, any rock crawling in the UP?
Thanks! Mark the fireman

Jarhead
December 26th, 2009, 10:37 AM
I'll be moving to the UP soon, and I need some advice about plowing snow. But first, I'm 52 and recently retired from the fire department. I can't wait to move north and get out of this heat! We bought a house near Munising. I have an '80 CJ-5 with a Buick V-6. Will this be suitable for plowing snow? I was going to get an F-250 4 door, but I'm betting it'll be difficult to manuver around the driveway. As agile as my -5 is, it seems it would be great to plow with. Will the light weight be a factor against me?
Any input will be greatly appreciated, as I sure love my Jeep and don't want to leave it here in FL. Also, any rock crawling in the UP?
Thanks! Mark the fireman
Send a PM to Mr-S, he lives in Sault Ste Marie and may have an idea.

kb8ymf
December 26th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Thanks! Mark the fireman

Mark,
Depending on how much snow you plan on moving around a 5 might be just fine. However, you'd be destroying a great trail vehicle that could be used in the summer months.
The UP get's its fair share of snow and Munising gets a few hundred inches of snow every year.
Relative to rock crawling, the UP has more lenient ORV rules that the lower pennisula. However the UP is not MOAB or Tellico. We have many trails open but real challenging (legal)trails will be hard to find here. There are private parks opening up almost every year but mostly in the lower. However crossing over the border to Canada you will have your choice of trail riding opportunities including Trestle Offroad park which has trails that will challenge any level of vehicle.
As Jarhead indicated get a hold of Mr-S, Tim. He'll be able to answer your UP questions
jim -kb8ymf

DDS4X4
December 26th, 2009, 10:56 PM
HELLO & WELCOME :wave:

I am from NW Ohio, but have pushed snow here off and on for 40 years.
The UP gets a whole lot more than NW OH, per Jim M numbers.
The BIG question is just your driveway OR for others for $$$.
Your own driveway, I would say probably could get by.
Others for $$$, I would say it would be very HARD on the CJ-5.

Mr S, Tim, can provide better input and he can likely hook you up with others that push snow on a regular basis in MI.

rentalrider
December 28th, 2009, 09:14 AM
I've done it both ways. I currently have a plow on the f350 4-dr like you mentioned. And I've plowed with a wrangler. I'd agree with the last post. If it's just your driveway and that isn't a long straight shot (private road) then I'd actually prefer the 5. Of course you'll have to start the banks back further as you won't be able to move the banks as easily after they're set. The good, light snow isn't gonna hurt you. It's (in my opionion) the heavy, wet half sleet/half snow we get down here that wants to twist your short wheel-based rig on the run. My $.02. I'd say it at least good for a start and if necessary have a "big rig" come in once a year or so to move the banks. Let them break their rig! :idea:

ripp6957
December 28th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Thanks for all the good input, I'll be contacting Mr S for his input. kb8ymf. you stated However, you'd be destroying a great trail vehicle that could be used in the summer months. Why is that? Will plowing really tear up my Jeep that bad. or do you mean the extra weight of the pump, ram, ect will hinder it in the summer? I'll be just plowing my own drive and MAYBE the 1/2 mile road out of my neighborhood. Thanks again for all your thoughts and ideas! mark the fireman

kb8ymf
December 28th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Thanks for all the good input, I'll be contacting Mr S for his input. kb8ymf. you stated However, you'd be destroying a great trail vehicle that could be used in the summer months. Why is that? Will plowing really tear up my Jeep that bad. or do you mean the extra weight of the pump, ram, ect will hinder it in the summer? I'll be just plowing my own drive and MAYBE the 1/2 mile road out of my neighborhood. Thanks again for all your thoughts and ideas! mark the fireman

It's been years since I plowed but the strain and weight of extra mass of a plow frame and blade wreak havoc on suspension components. Especially a little 5. Plus the constant jaring of the blade into the snow banks will loosen many a bolt on the vehicle and potentially parrallegram the frame if you're not careful. 5's still had open framerails if I remember correctly.
My belief is that it's a 10-15 to 1 ratio on wear and tear -vs- normal usage. You'll also need to remove the plow frame every year as that bracket will stop you 10 feet into a potentionally enjoyable experience in the back country.
I'm sure that are current plow guys here that could offer up the same experiences. You can also go and pose the '5 for plowing and trail riding' question over on <greatlakes4x4.com> and see what opinion they have. That site has more local 'opinionated' traffic that we do here in the State Assn website.
P.S. a 1/2 mile of 'UP' snow is a s*&^ load of snow.
Jim-kb8ymf

ripp6957
December 29th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Interesting information, I never considered it to be that damaging. Maybe I'll reconsider and use the Jeep for fun only! Thanks, Mark the fireman

akojsp
December 30th, 2009, 08:33 PM

The salt that we put on the roads does nothing to help the frame or body! I'd just buy an old beater to drive in the winter. Demolition derby drivers wont use a vehicle from the southern border of Ohio on up because the salt damages the frames.

Rattler
January 3rd, 2010, 03:43 AM
I am jealous! I would love to be moving to Munising. Sign up here:

http://www.upoverland.org/forum/index.php

The website is ran by Tom Doloskie. He is a great guy and knows everyone and everything about that area. I believe his dad works for the county (another Tom) too. I think he is related to everyone up there also.