PDA

View Full Version : LOGGING IS THE MAJOR CAUSE OF GLOBAL DEFORESTATION

Jarhead
December 15th, 2009, 11:39 AM
LOGGING IS THE MAJOR CAUSE OF GLOBAL DEFORESTATION

by the World Wide Fund for Nature Australia

The World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) released a report in December '97 which shows that the international timber trade is now the major cause of global forest destruction . The main findings of the report, entitled Bad Harvest? include:
- an estimated 500,000 hectares of forest are cleared or degraded each week;
- half of the world's 233 most important sites for plant diversity are threatened by commercial logging;
- most commercial logging takes place in forests that are the richest in biodiversity.

The research carried out by WWF reveals that the international timber trade is now the primary cause of loss in those forests that contain the highest levels of biodiversity.

This conclusion is based on a number of important findings resulting from:
- correlating logging sites with species-rich forests;
- looking at forest quality as well as quantity;
- extending the assessment to all forests, rather than just rainforests;
- including an assessment of illegal logging.

"Half of the most important sites for plant diversity are threatened by commercial logging"

To read more: http://www.rainforestinfo.org.au/good_wood/log_maj.htm

To read more: http://environment.nationalgeographic.com/environment/global-warming/deforestation-overview.html

WhiteRhino
December 15th, 2009, 12:21 PM
I guess I'm kind of stupid. Isn't this a no brainer?

Jarhead
December 15th, 2009, 01:10 PM
I guess I'm kind of stupid. Isn't this a no brainer?

Just the opposite.

While we may readily agree to this studies findings, the reallity is they have proven time and again that logging is far more devastating on the environment and cause for erosion than a lifetime of wheelers going through an area. Yet we still continue to do clear cutting across our state and others.

Paragon?

Tellico?

This study is twelve years old. There are many more since than, all with the same conclusions. The only way this stops and is by getting more involved in the process.

It is time to educate the politicians that represent us at every level of government of the devastation caused by others, not us!

timbercruiser
December 16th, 2009, 10:17 AM
OK. A couple points here.

WWF isn't about wildlife or trees, they are anti-capitalism, "American Imperialism" etc...

We have been getting reports for 30 years about how much forest is "lost" each year. According to their claims, the planet should be "deforested" by now. (It's not) The founder of Greenpeace flew over the Amazon rainforest a few years ago and was amazed that it was all forested. He is an advocate for forest management. (I believe he "saw the light" before his trip).

Clearcutting is an effective method for regenerating certain timber species-specifically Aspen and jack pine. Aspen will send hundreds of "suckers" up from the root system. Jack pine cones will fall to the ground and the pitch will melt, opening the cones and the seeds will fall out and germinate on the exposed soil. (which also happens after a fire!)