PDA

View Full Version : Trailers for Hauling Jeep

lgottler
December 16th, 2005, 07:08 PM
Asking this question, I have done a bit of research already, but would like to hear from real people in my area.

I'm going to be picking up a used trailer in about a month or so to tow my Jeep around with a nonexistant truck! I borrowed a Yukon I used for the first time for GG towing a rented U-Haul 14' trailer...the Yukon had a towing setup on it rated for 7k something, but it towed and stopped fine, it would stay in OD on the flats, but I left in in D when I remembered!! Got 13mpg!!

Anyways, what seems to be the going price these days for a wooden decked dual axle dual brake trailer? I'd like to have about a 16', don't need longer. Dovetail is nice, but it really doesn't matter....83" in between the fenders, or I could always cut and weld to make my Jeep fit.

I have found them new no less than 2k with dual brakes, but I'd have to go pick it up out of state and thats new. I'm going to start looking in the papers when I get a chance.

I can use a standard 7k gross setup, don't need 10k etc... my Jeep is around 4k, with a 2k trailer I should be OK.

Any hints, tips, ideas, or trailers?

Lucas

Ridgerunner
December 16th, 2005, 08:01 PM
hey there , i have also been inthe trailer market and find it hard to find a used one .if youdo find one in good shape grab it because it wont last long. I have decided to buy a new one in the spring. I going with an 18' dove tail. I found 3 dealers in my area within $800.00 of each other. cheapest was in ortonville on M15 for around $1,900.00. trailer was ok Quality built from angle iron. there is also adealer in oxford who sells a nice heavy duty unit for around $2,300.00, all built from angle iron. Both of these units were 7000 gvw.the best deal I found though was from thumb express trailers in brown city on m53. this trailer was 9000gvw, built all from 5"x 2" tubing for around $ 2600.00 he told me that they can also build to your specs.workmanship is very nice on this trailer and it was undercoated.

MuddyPaws
December 16th, 2005, 09:45 PM
Yea, they seem to hold value like crazy too. Going rate for use up here is between 1200 and 1600. I looked at one for 900 and then ran home to tell the wife and get a check and when I got back, it was gone.

They move fast. I'm still looking for one in the grand or less area. I know, hard to do, but I have seen them in the past. I'll wait...for a bit at least.

keithshotrodshop
December 16th, 2005, 10:48 PM
Well, you and I have talked this subject to death, but to remind you (and help others) the laws for trailers changed last year in Michigan. Things that are new:

1. Any trailer with a GVWR of over 1,500 lbs must have brakes on EVERY axle

2. Any trailer with the deck over the axles is limited to 45 mph when loaded

3. Trailers equiped with brakes MUST have a breakaway box

4. The longest deck allowed on a flatbed trailer without going to a 5th wheel hitch is 20 feet unless it is clearly marked (oversize load) on the back. And there is a certain length/width in which a chase vehicle is nessesary, but I don't know what it is.

Plus, even many new trailer manufacturers are using used tires and axles, so always find out what you are getting. Some are even still using the obsolete "trailer house" axles that have the rim that splits apart from a large center hub. Even though these can be fine to deal with, they can be extremly troublesome to deal with when repairing. I prefer the newer style that bolts on like a normal car or truck.

MuddyPaws
December 17th, 2005, 01:29 AM
Is that new stuff or all trailers? I wouldn't think they would make every trailer without brakes on all axles to retrofit them...along with a breakaway box.

45mph for any trailer with a deck? Like ATV trailers and shnowmobile ones? :bigemo_harabe_net-163: They are gonna bust alot of trolls heading up here going 80 with the sleds behind them.

WhiteRhino
December 17th, 2005, 11:29 AM
If you are looking to save some $$$$, don't look for a car hauler. Look for used landscape trailers. They are the same distance between the fenders & are typically alot cheaper. Keep in mind that many of these trailers do not have axle brakes or ramps.

I know of a 16 footer that just sold for $600.

keithshotrodshop
December 17th, 2005, 04:33 PM
No, not any trailer with a deck, any trailer with a deck that sits over the tires, instead of between them. Basically your bulldozer trailers. As for snowmobile trailers, thats a good point. However one thing to look at on alot of snowmobile trailers is those little tiny tires, many of them are not rated for speeds over 45 and even more are not even street legal. The trailers themselves seem pysically small behind most vehicles, so I don't think many cops look at them. However a guy towing a 4,000 pound jeep on a dual axle trailer behind a 1/2 ton truck might warrant more looks, whether or not he is legal.

As for whether or not old trailers are "grandfathered" in I have not been able to get a straight answer out of any cops, or the secretary of state. I do know that if you buy an old trailer from someone else after the changes were made in Oct 2004, you do have to retrofit it, or it cannot be on the road. All an officer has to do is look up when you titled the trailer, and if it is after oct 2004 your'e screwed. If an old trailer stays in the same owners hands, I would believe (but may be mistaken) that it IS grandfathered.

And as to whether or not any cops care about trailer law, I've talked to a few now that have written MANY MANY MANY Tickets, and even impounded trailers that do not meet code, so I think it's best just to try and follow the laws.

Roadhouse
December 19th, 2005, 12:27 AM
Lucas, you might want to contact Brian or Daryl at www.jcroffroad.com They are not making trailers, and will make them to your spec. They mentioned prices would be around $2k

Creative Fab
December 20th, 2005, 05:33 PM
Call Antique Auto Sales in Edmore MI, also called Gold Star Trailers.

I bought my flatbed 16' 7000# with one axle brake and used tires from them a couple years ago for $1,100
out the door.

I have used the crap out of this trailer and it has held up great.

kb8ymf
December 21st, 2005, 12:08 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ironman &#064; Dec 20 2005, 04&#58;33 PM) 7171</div>

I bought my flatbed 16&#39; 7000# with one axle brake and used tires from them a couple years ago for &#036;1,100
out the door.

[/b]

Lucas,
I went to Sikeston, Mo. (trailer capital of the world, I swear&#33;) and picked up 2 new flatbed trailers with deck, 84" between fenders, &#39;C&#39; channel construction, (NEVER, NEVER, get a tube framed trailer living in Michigan, I&#39;ll show you pictures of my rusted out box framed trailer that gave up the ghost years ago.) Dexter brakes one axle, used tires, all for &#036;1200 a piece. Got it this spring. Get a hold of Bryce, he has the details if you&#39;re interested. I can&#39;t build one for that price. Don&#39;t get a beavertail, they drag to much where we go.
As was pointed out in a previous post, go with brakes on both axles, (we&#39;re adding the second brake this winter to Bryce&#39;s)
j-kb8ymf

WhiteRhino
December 21st, 2005, 09:13 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kb8ymf &#064; Dec 20 2005, 11&#58;08 PM) 7174</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ironman &#064; Dec 20 2005, 04&#58;33 PM) 7171

I bought my flatbed 16&#39; 7000# with one axle brake and used tires from them a couple years ago for &#036;1,100
out the door.

[/b]

Lucas,
I went to Sikeston, Mo. (trailer capital of the world, I swear&#33;) and picked up 2 new flatbed trailers with deck, 84" between fenders, &#39;C&#39; channel construction, (NEVER, NEVER, get a tube framed trailer living in Michigan, I&#39;ll show you pictures of my rusted out box framed trailer that gave up the ghost years ago.) Dexter brakes one axle, used tires, all for &#036;1200 a piece. Got it this spring. Get a hold of Bryce, he has the details if you&#39;re interested. I can&#39;t build one for that price. Don&#39;t get a dovetail, they drag to much where we go.
As was pointed out in a previous post, go with brakes on both axles, (we&#39;re adding the second brake this winter to Bryce&#39;s)
j-kb8ymf
[/b][/quote]

I like my beaver tail, so there&#33;