View Full Version : BillaVista's Recovery Bible

Jarhead
December 8th, 2005, 02:04 PM
After reading the brief post (write-up) on "This past weekends adventure" and reviewing the pictures, I remembered reading an article that discussed in detail the equipment involved in how to winch properly and safely. One of the things commented on from those involved with "This past weekends adventure", was the importance of SAFETY for everyone involved. Accolades to all involved for a Safe and Successful Recovery.

It took me a bit, but I found the article again. To take one paragraph from the article:

Lethal business:
If you take nothing else away from this article, know this: EVERY time you mount an operation to recover a stuck 4x4, be it by winching, jacking, yank strap or whatever, you are playing with lethal force. The damage caused by equipment failure, or improper operation, can and WILL maim and kill people. NEVER underestimate it. There is a line in a movie that expresses it best. I forget to what it was the speaker was referring, but he may as well have been talking about any piece of recovery gear - particularly the winch and wire rope. He said "The minute you stop respecting this, it kills you." KEEP THAT IN MIND AT ALL TIMES.

Enjoy: http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Recovery/