PDA

View Full Version : This past weekends adventure

Creative Fab
November 28th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Slippery hill plus loss of momentum = disaster for Jim "WhiteRhino" Kitson.

And my shorts will never be the same :bigemo_harabe_net-163:

Damage report: Trans burnt in Jeep from running while on the trailer, Driveshaft on truck, marker lights on trailer. That is all we know of so far, the trailer needs a once over as does the truck.

We drove the truck home in front wheel drive and the Jeep and trailer is in Indian river at the Brasseurs to be picked up at a later date.

Jarhead
November 28th, 2005, 11:29 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ironman &#064; Nov 28 2005, 09&#58;29 AM) 6815</div>

Slippery hill plus loss of momentum = disaster for Jim "WhiteRhino" Kitson.

And my shorts will never be the same :bigemo_harabe_net-163:

Location: Searchmont Ont. Canada, far from anywhere really&#33;

Damaga report: Trans burnt in Jeep from running while on the trailer, Driveshaft on truck, marker lights on trailer. That is all we know of so far, the trailer needs a once over as does the truck.

We drove the truck home in front wheel drive and the Jeep and trailer is in Indian river at the Brasseurs to be picked up at a later date.
[/b]

OUCH&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; :wacko:

SKIP
November 28th, 2005, 12:42 PM
[/quote]

OUCH&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; :wacko:
[/quote]

X2&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

Everybody&#39;s ok other than the shorts I hope?????????

Ah, you left it at the Great Lakes vehicle recovery station&#33; LOL&#33;

WhiteRhino
November 28th, 2005, 12:44 PM
Nothin that a few good reliable pals couldn&#39;t conquer.

I gotta say that with the crew we had, after 4 hours of recovery, it was handled safe, and without a problem.
Pretty much textbook.

I am grateful and proud of how the guys just dug in and helped. After all done & said, other than the obvious risk and damage, I think the guys had a ball&#33; They did more winching & re-rigging in 4 hours than most people do in a year&#33;

But, I didn&#39;t have a ball...........

Jim

Creative Fab
November 28th, 2005, 12:49 PM
We were fine, and yes it is at the official GL holding pen :bigemo_harabe_net-163:

For thiose who dont know what Skip and I are refering to, Vic Brasseurs plce in Indian River has been used a lot for a place to leave broken toys and tow rigs until the owner manages to retrieve them. Once in a while the rig even gets fixed during it&#39;s stay in Indian River, we think it is the wheeling fairy with a set of wrenches but no one knows for sure.

WhiteRhino
November 28th, 2005, 02:01 PM
Yup, I&#39;m expecting that when I get back up there in a couple weeks the trans will have been repaired & we will be ready to go&#33; :bigemo_harabe_net-163:

Roadhouse
November 28th, 2005, 04:17 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(WhiteRhino &#064; Nov 28 2005, 01&#58;01 PM) 6823</div>

Yup, I&#39;m expecting that when I get back up there in a couple weeks the trans will have been repaired & we will be ready to go&#33; :bigemo_harabe_net-163:
[/b]

I should seriously think about leaving my Jeep at Vics :P

I just got home from Pats where I checked out all the pics of the weekend. That accident seems like it could of been soooooooo much worse. I&#39;m glad the hear and see you guys are okay. The wheelin&#39; pics looked like a lot of fun.

Brian
November 28th, 2005, 06:00 PM
WOW&#33; Glad to hear everyone is ok.

Bult4mud
November 28th, 2005, 07:52 PM
Glad everyone came out ok
Man i gotta meet this VIC guy :D

MuddyPaws
November 28th, 2005, 09:06 PM
Don&#39;t forget that there can be a NEW holding pen for you guys...and this one has 75 little wrench monkeys that can fix things, and a complete welding and machine facility.

Anyone is welcome to drop at my house or at the shop if they can&#39;t get it home, and i&#39;m just over the bridge.

I have one question though....how did the trans burn from running on the trailer?

lgottler
November 28th, 2005, 09:20 PM
Did you slip backwards or something???

That looks like it would take a few years off my life&#33; Scary&#33;

Creative Fab
November 28th, 2005, 09:27 PM
The pump on the trans ran without fluid due to the angle.

And yes we slid backwards after not making the hill.

JohnnyJ
November 29th, 2005, 12:12 AM
Wow, sounds pretty scary. Glad that everybody is ok.

Jim, let me know if you need anything to get your stuff home. My trailer is just around the corner from you.

cj7fun
November 29th, 2005, 10:31 AM
Good to hear everybody is ok. It&#39;s nice to see that the situation did not get out of hand and you guys didn&#39;t have to rely on outside help to get back home.

How was the Jeep secured to the trailer; straps/chains? Stake pockets/tube mounted d-rings/in-floor d-rings? Did the accident damage the trailer or straps/chains?

WhiteRhino
November 29th, 2005, 10:56 AM
Tim, we came very close to calling you. Both to see if you could drum up a drive shaft and also as a holding pen. Although I am sure you are in the book, I didn&#39;t have your number to call from BB. But, after a good assesment, we figured we could get further south. Again, and sincerely, thanks for the offer.

John, thanks for the trailer offer. Vic is going to look over my trailer a little better. We think it is fine. Fred thought it looked a little low on the passenger side rear while on the highway but it may have always been that way. The only possible issue with the trailer is while going down, a spring hanger or u-bolt may have been damaged. I figure it will come home safely.

I have a new driveshaft on order & should be in this week. I am leaving this morning for business & gone the rest of the week so I will not be ready to go back up till the following weekend.

Regarding the trans.: We had stopped at the bottom of the hill to take pics of the waterfall. Since we were only a mile or 2 from where we were going to unload and it was cold, (mid 20&#39;s) we all started our rigs to warm up. In hind sight what a huge mistake. When we crashed, the trailer hitch was broken off and the trailer was hanging by only one safety chain. In addition, we had no idea if something was going to settle & allow it to fall further. We discussed the concern over losing oil pressure in the engine & since the oil pump is in the rear of a small block, we figured not to worry. AND, AS FAR AS I&#39;M CONCERNED, IT COULD HAVE BURNED TO THE GROUND BEFORE I WOULD LET ANYONE RISK INJURY&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; We never considered that the trans was spinning at the same time. A big lesson&#33; The problem was that by the time all the other rigs got unloaded, we assessed the situation, got every one into position & had everything secure, the jeep ran for close to an hour.

The funny thing about the trans was that we had to back the jeep further down into the woods to get it off the trailer. After the trailer was up, we ran the jeep winch up and the jeep drove up with winch assist. I moved it around & we said &#39;let&#39;s go get regrouped". I figured we would still go wheeling since we were already at the trailhead. While driving the 1/8 mile down the hill, the trans started slipping. We thought that maybe some of the fluid had drained back into the transfer case. Not so. We drained the trans (into a tub) and it was black & burned. The filter was plugged. We cleaned the filter & put new fluid in hoping that would get by. No such luck&#33;

Regarding tie downs: Over the years, I have trailered with full chains & binders, single ratchet straps front & rear and a combo. I stopped using a rear rachet strap after reading some discussion about whether a strap would hold up in a head on collision allowing the jeep to rocket forward into the tow vehicle. I lock down the axle even though some say to tie down the frame. I have never been able to keep things tight because of suspension flex. So my current setup is this. I have a 3/8 logging chain that goes around my rear axle & is hooked into and around the stake pockets. Up front, I have a rachet strap on each side that ties around the front axle & hooks on the knuckle. The other end is attached to the stake pocket. It held fine&#33; We had to cut one ratchet strap because it would not release with all the pressure on it.

Another point: We had three 8,000 pound winches. Even though a single winch would hold the trailer and another would hold the truck with a straight line, we snatch blocked all 3. This gave us superior pulling power along with slower line speed which allowed us to do everything with as much control as possible. I wouldn&#39;t do it any other way.

Thanks for all the concern.
Jim

timbercruiser
November 29th, 2005, 02:12 PM
Will we have an article in one of the national mags-or even an oops photo?

I also hope you guys found some good new trails for us for next year&#33;&#33; (but not the one in the pics&#33;)

WhiteRhino
November 30th, 2005, 07:33 AM
C&#39;mon Dave&#33;&#33;&#33;
Don&#39;t you think some of my victories belong in a mag rather than a defeat??? :( :(

timbercruiser
December 1st, 2005, 05:14 PM
I was thinking of the winching angle for a story&#33;&#33; I don&#39;t remember Four Wheeler showing how to extract a tow rig and trailer from a cliff&#33;&#33; That was a victory&#33;&#33;&#33;

December 5th, 2005, 08:19 AM
Glad to see everyone is ok Jim&#33;&#33; That sure was a well planned and thought out recovery&#33; :clap: Very nice&#33;

Brian81CJ
December 5th, 2005, 08:24 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest &#064; Dec 5 2005, 07&#58;19 AM) 6909</div>

Glad to see everyone is ok Jim&#33;&#33; That sure was a well planned and thought out recovery&#33; :clap: Very nice&#33;
[/b]

OOPS... I didn&#39;t know I wasn&#39;t logged in. :blush:

WhiteRhino
December 5th, 2005, 10:14 AM
Well, the new driveshaft is in the truck & all is well. After a closer inspection of the trailer hitch, it appears that the only damage was to the 4" drop insert. (broke in half)

Vic has done a good inspection of the trailer and the only damage was to the front marker lights, the license plate bracket and a twinge on the ramp bracket underneath. The jeep is back on the trailer & ready to come home.

Then I just gotta pull the trans for ANOTHER rebuild. (it was just gone through in August)

Shakr
December 5th, 2005, 11:25 AM
On the "pucker factor " rating system how would you rate yourself on the ride down the hill ??? . did you say to yourself this is going to leave a mark. I have experienced this only going forward and sliding toward a stop sign , I can&#39;t imagine how it felt going backwards down a grade.

lgottler
December 5th, 2005, 12:31 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(WhiteRhino &#064; Dec 5 2005, 06&#58;14 AM) 6914</div>

Well, the new driveshaft is in the truck & all is well. After a closer inspection of the trailer hitch, it appears that the only damage was to the 4" drop insert. (broke in half)

Vic has done a good inspection of the trailer and the only damage was to the front marker lights, the license plate bracket and a twinge on the ramp bracket underneath. The jeep is back on the trailer & ready to come home.

Then I just gotta pull the trans for ANOTHER rebuild. (it was just gone through in August)
[/b]

:cough:Manual:cough:

WhiteRhino
December 5th, 2005, 12:52 PM
Not trying to imply tough guy here but I think it was pretty calm. I remember saying to Pat "we&#39;re going down" and then just hanging on.

To me it was more emotional after it was all done realizing that nothing catastrophic had happened and how much hard effort was put in by the guys without so much as a whimper. 4 hours later and hardly anyone had even stopped for water. (Except for Brad who kept the cigars lit)

And Lucas: cough, throw out bearing, cough

Jarhead
December 5th, 2005, 04:18 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(WhiteRhino &#064; Dec 5 2005, 11&#58;52 AM) 6921</div>

.... (Except for Brad who kept the cigars lit)

[/b]

If Brad is anything like myself (no harm intended): a lit cigar helps my ability to focus. :jam:

lgottler
December 5th, 2005, 07:44 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(WhiteRhino &#064; Dec 5 2005, 08&#58;52 AM) 6921</div>

[/b]

yeah, I was waiting for it&#33;&#33;

motrctyman
December 5th, 2005, 08:24 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(WhiteRhino &#064; Dec 5 2005, 08&#58;52 AM) 6921</div>
And Lucas: cough, throw out bearing, cough[/b]
:bigemo_harabe_net-163:

Good one, Jim&#33;

hunter2005
December 7th, 2005, 03:24 PM
:na-na: the trip looked like alot of fun... that had to be one heck of a ride... me i would have been saying bye bye to truck and trailer.... look forward to more pics....

Creative Fab
December 7th, 2005, 06:56 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hunter2005 &#064; Dec 7 2005, 11&#58;24 AM) 6982</div>

:na-na: the trip looked like alot of fun... that had to be one heck of a ride... me i would have been saying bye bye to truck and trailer.... look forward to more pics....
[/b]

Go to the next post, it says more pics from thanksgiving weekend.

I dont know why the guy who posted them didnt put them all together :bigemo_harabe_net-130:

MuddyPaws
December 7th, 2005, 10:26 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(WhiteRhino &#064; Dec 5 2005, 11&#58;52 AM) 6921</div>

[/b]

:bigemo_harabe_net-163: :bigemo_harabe_net-163: :bigemo_harabe_net-163: :bigemo_harabe_net-163: :bigemo_harabe_net-163: :bigemo_harabe_net-163: :bigemo_harabe_net-163: :bigemo_harabe_net-163: :bigemo_harabe_net-163: :bigemo_harabe_net-163: :bigemo_harabe_net-163: :bigemo_harabe_net-163: :bigemo_harabe_net-163: :bigemo_harabe_net-163: :bigemo_harabe_net-163: :bigemo_harabe_net-163: :bigemo_harabe_net-163: :bigemo_harabe_net-163: :bigemo_harabe_net-163: :bigemo_harabe_net-163:

T-way
December 10th, 2005, 07:08 PM
Jim.....glad to see that all is well after such a close call, and that the White Rhino will be back and tough as ever next year&#33;&#33;

Sounds like you guys had a great time on the trip despite your mishap&#33; I&#39;m glad to see that the recovery went smoothly and no one was hurt&#33;&#33;

timmy_69
January 6th, 2006, 07:42 AM
Well glad to see that everyone is ok.

Tim Y.
MSG Sect.