PDA

View Full Version : Glad to own a 4x4 again!

TwinLake4Wheeler
August 14th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Hello to all you 4x4 fanatics out there! I recently joined GLFWDA and look forward learning more about the organization and getting involved not only with events but also standing up for our off road rights.

Purchased a '94 Ford 4x4 extended cab pickup a month or so ago for light four wheeling and generally getting back into the sport again. Wont do too much modification as it has 192000 and getting some rust, but the 5.8 liter engine is still running strong.

Previous 4x4s include a '74 Chevy Blazer, Jeep J4000 Pickup ('73?), '87 Toyota Pickup, '91 Dodge Dakota Pickup.

What are the rest of you guys out there driving?

DDS4X4
August 14th, 2009, 09:36 PM
WELCOME :wave:

Read for yourself

oz97tj
August 14th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Welcome!

Hope to see you on the trail soon.

timbercruiser
August 15th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Why did you sell the Toyota??!!:poke:

Jarhead
August 15th, 2009, 10:23 AM
:wave:Hello David, Welcome Aboard!

Trail_Fanatic
August 15th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Welcome!!
:wave:
GREAT to see a fellow Muskegon County resident!
I'm in Fruitport now. Grew up in Whitehall.
Maybe I'll see you in 'da woods some time.

:thumb:

calvynandhobbs
August 15th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Welcome aboard:wave: I'm from Muskegon originally, but have a house and family currently in Ypsilanti, MI while I'm working out in Connecticut. I get to Muskegon a couple times a year for holidays though since a lot of my family is still there.

T-way
August 15th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Howdy! Welcome to the forum!

I drive a modified '97 Jeep TJ, with a matching off-road trailer.

TwinLake4Wheeler
August 16th, 2009, 09:39 AM
:wave:Hello David, Welcome Aboard!

Thanks. I just realized I didnt officially join when I signed up back in July. Anyway, paid my membership dues and now it's official.

I believe since you are GLFWDA president you know your stuff about the state of Michigan off roading, issues off roaders are facing etc.

I want to start getting involved with supporting the organization as well as the rights of off roaders and would appreciate some guidance.

I am sure there are land-access battles going on as well as other long-term threats to off road access (I think it is called the Wilderness Act - don't think it currently affects Michigan but I would guess it is only a matter of time if this keeps building momentum).

I am somewhat familiar with the Michigan DNR website and where to find information on trail maps (ORV/ATV), legal riding areas, the quarterly public meetings in Lansing etc as I temporarily owned an ATV. I started digging into this website as I wanted to better understand issues facing ATV use in Michigan. This is where I learned of GLFWDA as seeing the organization name in the list of attendees at the quarterly meetings.

Long story short I sold the ATV and bought a 4x4 truck so I could legally ride on forest trails and bring my daughter and wife along for the fun. I live on the southern edge of the Manistee National Forest in Twin Lake and there are forest roads all around here to drive and enjoy. (Though I am learning many are not legal forest roads so I am trying to stay on the legal ones, which is not always easy to determine; note: I read the story about the Cedar Creek off road run in with DNR and was wondering how expensive were the tickets for the Manistee families? I 'donated' $143 to them and Muskegon county for operating my atv on the side of the road...)

I understand there is a MVUM for my area of due out in the next few months and I look forward to obtaining it so I can better understand what roads I can legally ride. I did purchase a map of ORV trails for Michigan for about $20 and though it is helpful, I dont think it is entirely accurate in detailing what roads have legal.

My biggest concern is becoming 'a repeat offender' and receive a second ticket from the DNR by my mistakenly riding on a trail that is not legal. I am sure the MVUM will help better define this, but who knows when it will actually be released and how accurate it will be.

Basically, as I mentioned earlier in this correspondence, I want to get involved in GLFWDA and help pro-actively support the rights of off roaders as well as enjoy off roading with other families. I truly love being out in the forests in this great state and want to ensure others can do the same for generations to come.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide.

Dave

Greenway
August 16th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Hey Dave, Welcome to GLFWDA. As soon as they get you set up on the forum as a member, you'll have access to the members only Land Use section. There you will find out a lot more about what's going on and what can be done in Michigan to stop closure of our public lands.

FaselZ71
August 16th, 2009, 10:42 AM
hey there fella nice to see and meet ya I liked your speech there man I too would like to become more proactive in our sport but I didn't really know where to start... So I came here! In responce to you original post I myself am a GM fan.(Don't worry I'm no brand basher by any means) However I drive a 1992 GMC Z71 with quite a bit of rust and 226000 some odd miles on it... The trans is currently getting rebuild for the second time since I've owned but the original 350 still cranks out the power with no knocks or ticks. Which brings me to ask why are you worried about cutomizing your truck with high miles and refresh kit to the motor and your good for another 200,000 miles and as far as the rust goes body panels can be replaced. Just a question of curiosity because it easier to work on the older trucks then the newer ones. I'm going solid axle my truck run crossover steering 3/4 ton axles swap out my 241 transfer case for a 208 and run 37" super swamper tsl's and abunch of other stuff there's no limit to what can be don't to an older truck... But it's your truck not mine so have fun out there be safe...

Fasel

TwinLake4Wheeler
August 16th, 2009, 09:17 PM
hey there fella nice to see and meet ya I liked your speech there man I too would like to become more proactive in our sport but I didn't really know where to start... So I came here! In responce to you original post I myself am a GM fan.(Don't worry I'm no brand basher by any means) However I drive a 1992 GMC Z71 with quite a bit of rust and 226000 some odd miles on it... The trans is currently getting rebuild for the second time since I've owned but the original 350 still cranks out the power with no knocks or ticks. Which brings me to ask why are you worried about cutomizing your truck with high miles and refresh kit to the motor and your good for another 200,000 miles and as far as the rust goes body panels can be replaced. Just a question of curiosity because it easier to work on the older trucks then the newer ones. I'm going solid axle my truck run crossover steering 3/4 ton axles swap out my 241 transfer case for a 208 and run 37" super swamper tsl's and abunch of other stuff there's no limit to what can be don't to an older truck... But it's your truck not mine so have fun out there be safe...

Fasel

Good to hear there are people out there modifying older/high mileage trucks. Guess all I notice on the roads are the newer trucks all lifted up with the big wheels. Probably the main reason I wont modify this truck too soon is lack of extra $$$ to spend and I dont want to do something that may make it unreliable (meaning a lift and tires that may make driveline parts wear out quickly or break). This thought is more so due to my lack of experience as I have pretty much always left my trucks stock with minor upgrades.

Anyway, I really like the mid-90's Chevy/GMC trucks and that was the type of truck I was looking for. Then I ran across a deal I couldnt pass up on the 94 Ford 4x4. Besides two tracking, I can't wait to play with my truck in the snow. :)

TwinLake4Wheeler
August 16th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Hey Dave, Welcome to GLFWDA. As soon as they get you set up on the forum as a member, you'll have access to the members only Land Use section. There you will find out a lot more about what's going on and what can be done in Michigan to stop closure of our public lands.

Thanks and it will be interesting to see what is and has been going on around the state, in particular west Michigan since there is where I most likely will do most of my 'wheelin.

I see you are in a club located in Whitehall? I am looking to get involved with a local organization too to meet more four wheelers and find family friendly events to participate in.

Dave

DDS4X4
August 16th, 2009, 09:56 PM
The Land Use Committee is ALWAYS looking for volunteers (NO EXPERIENCE NECESSARY) to help monitoring the activities in Michigan.

Gary and Pat B will be happy to start your education!

THANKS for coming on board.
See ya on the trails!

Renegade II
August 17th, 2009, 06:52 AM
Hello & welcome :wave:

DieselMTU
August 17th, 2009, 08:09 AM

TwinLake4Wheeler
August 17th, 2009, 12:00 PM
The Land Use Committee is ALWAYS looking for volunteers (NO EXPERIENCE NECESSARY) to help monitoring the activities in Michigan.

Gary and Pat B will be happy to start your education!

THANKS for coming on board.
See ya on the trails!

Sign me up! Is there a way I should contact either of them other than the forum to get the ball rolling or will they track me down?

Dave

TwinLake4Wheeler
August 17th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Hello & welcome :wave:

Thanks to you and all for the welcome. The Jeep is a sweet looking rig!

DDS4X4
August 18th, 2009, 03:57 AM
They will likely track you down since you have indicated an interest! :thumb:

Trail_Fanatic
August 18th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Sign me up! Is there a way I should contact either of them other than the forum to get the ball rolling or will they track me down?

Dave

Dave,

We can use all the help we can get. We're up against entire departments of people working 40 hour weeks and even more rich, anti-access groups who routinely sway policy with money. I haven't seen the figures for last year, but the year before that the Sierra Club donated $500,000 to various Michigan politicians.

Here's a link to the LUC Membership Application:
http://www.glfwda.org/showthread.php?t=2262

THANKS for your interest!!!

TwinLake4Wheeler
August 18th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Dave,

We can use all the help we can get. We're up against entire departments of people working 40 hour weeks and even more rich, anti-access groups who routinely sway policy with money. I haven't seen the figures for last year, but the year before that the Sierra Club donated $500,000 to various Michigan politicians.

Pat, thanks for contacting me and providing the link to the LUC application. Though I have been in the forum for a month or so, I just paid my membership dues and I dont have full forum access yet. My attempt was blocked so I will keep trying until I am fully setup on the forum.

I understand land access issues and keeping our land open will be a challenge and the opposition is well funded and connected. I look forward to the future challenges to keep OUR lands open and working alongside and four wheeling along with fellow GLFWDA members.

Dave

RockyTop
August 24th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Welcome and the motivation will be grateful and can only help benefit this Community.

TwinLake4Wheeler
August 24th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Welcome and the motivation will be grateful and can only help benefit this Community.

Thanks and I am ready to get rolling and contributing, just kind of waiting for clearance to all Forum sites so I can fill out Land Use Membership application.

Dave

TwinLake4Wheeler
August 28th, 2009, 07:04 PM
Pat, thanks for contacting me and providing the link to the LUC application. Though I have been in the forum for a month or so, I just paid my membership dues and I dont have full forum access yet. My attempt was blocked so I will keep trying until I am fully setup on the forum.

I understand land access issues and keeping our land open will be a challenge and the opposition is well funded and connected. I look forward to the future challenges to keep OUR lands open and working alongside and four wheeling along with fellow GLFWDA members.

Dave
Any idea when I will have access to the full forum content? Is there someone I should contact, or does this take several weeks to complete? Dave

Jarhead
August 28th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Any idea when I will have access to the full forum content? Is there someone I should contact, or does this take several weeks to complete? Dave

Give Eric a holler via a PM @ mitrail400ex

or Send Him an E-mail @ fastrt6dakota@aol.com

DDS4X4
August 28th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Hang in there, someone will make it happen OR contact you with instructions.

WELCOME :wave:

DDS4X4
August 28th, 2009, 08:44 PM
See, Bob beat me to the post by 1 minute.
I type too slow!

TwinLake4Wheeler
August 28th, 2009, 09:35 PM
See, Bob beat me to the post by 1 minute.
I type too slow!

Thanks for the response and the help. Dave

TwinLake4Wheeler
August 28th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Give Eric a holler via a PM @ mitrail400ex

or Send Him an E-mail @ fastrt6dakota@aol.com

Ok and thanks for the contact info. I sent a PM to him.

I am sure he is busy with many other activities as well as GLFWDA obligations. I just want to get involved to see what all is going on in the area and apply to join the Land Use Committee.

Dave

TwinLake4Wheeler
September 1st, 2009, 01:21 PM
Dave,

Bob, I am unable to make the application link work from the thread and dont see any other way to gain access to the membership application.

Can you help or direct me towards the person who can?

Dave