PDA

View Full Version : ORV Advisory Board Meeting

Jarhead
July 9th, 2009, 09:45 AM
All meetings are scheduled to start at 6:30 PM. unless otherwise noted. All meetings will be held at the following location:

The Lansing West Hotel & Conference Center (formerly The Lansing Holiday Inn-West), 7501 West Saginaw Highway, Lansing, Michigan 517-627-3211.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/2009ORVSCHEDULE_256979_7.pdf

Jarhead
November 1st, 2009, 12:53 PM
All though each meeting is historic in its own right, this meeting may truly be very historic (as several of us are very busy at the Capital Building right now).

Don't miss your opportunity to be a part of history in the making.

Jarhead
November 1st, 2009, 12:58 PM
I have attached the November 2009 Meeting Agenda and the the August 2009 Meeting Minutes to this post.

Creative Fab
November 2nd, 2009, 05:56 PM
Now I will bump this thread

phittie1100
November 2nd, 2009, 07:16 PM
Not sure if Deb and I can juggle schedules this time Bob - won't know until lunch on Wednesday

Shaguardriver
November 2nd, 2009, 08:03 PM
Give me a call before hand I will be in Lansing for work that day.

DDS4X4
November 2nd, 2009, 08:46 PM
I have to go south to Findlay on this evening.

WhiteRhino
November 2nd, 2009, 09:55 PM
I'm trying to make it but won't know till mid day.

junk90xj
November 3rd, 2009, 06:13 PM
i am available and i dont live too far from there so i can go.

i have one question though?

im not involved and had no idea of the topics involved. is there a purpose for me being there and is my being there helpful in anyway?

Rocky
November 3rd, 2009, 07:18 PM

im not involved and had no idea of the topics involved. is there a purpose for me being there and is my being there helpful in anyway?

Yes,
Dick Ranney [ ORV Chairperson ] is going to tell us ORVers WHY we want to pay 30.50 for an ORV sticker next year and an additional 6.00 per year registration fee per ORV.

We need to be there to tell the guy we ORVers have been the culprits of DNR mismanagement and abuse of our current 16.25 ORV fee's for years now and we wont support this type of ignorance from any of our legislators.

Mr-S
November 3rd, 2009, 07:54 PM
Can't make this one. I have a funeral to attend tomorrow.

Make a good showing for us.

sumpter1
November 4th, 2009, 08:39 AM

I think everyone should attend that can. It will give you a good idea on how things get done or sometimes don't get done.

phittie1100
November 4th, 2009, 09:25 AM
I am not going to make it tonight

DieselMTU
November 4th, 2009, 10:57 AM
I want to be there but we are having some work done on our house, so depending on how that goes will determine if I can make it.

jeepfreak81
November 4th, 2009, 01:56 PM
****, I thought these were on Thursdays, I thought it was tomorrow. I may have to call the wife and see if she had plans for tonight so I can steal the car with gas mileage to go.

jeepfreak81
November 4th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Looks like I should be there tonight as well :thumb:

Jarhead
November 5th, 2009, 11:34 AM
I would like to Thank Each and Every Member that took the time out of their busy lives to attend last nights meeting. Once again, Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association Members outnumbered the other user groups. It is your willingness and participation in meetings like this that is helping move our sport forward.

Thank You!
:yourock:

jeepfreak81
November 5th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Great meeting some of you, and great talking to those of you I have met, but never really spoken to before!

WhiteRhino
November 5th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Great meeting some of you, and great talking to those of you I have met, but never really spoken to before!

x2.
Best part was hearing Paul Mulder give his sappy speach.:lmao:

sumpter1
November 22nd, 2009, 10:34 AM
I posted this at ATVOffroad:

ORV Advisory Board Meeting 11-4-09.

This is what I got out of the meeting and I do not guarantee it is 100% accurate because I cannot always hear what is said nor do I take shorthand.

Everyone in attendance was invited to introduce themselves (I like this). The budget for 2010 is $1.8 million for maintenance and trail development, $527,300 for restoration (damage caused by orv’s.) and $353,000 for law enforcement. There are 27 maintenance and trail development grant applications for $1.9 million and 6 restoration requests for $474,000.
There was a lot of discussion about the Governor’s Executive Order 2009-45, which eliminates the ORV Advisory Board; along with many other changes. The orv program, along with many other programs, will fall under the Michigan Trails Advisory Council. The Council will be made up of 7 members appointed by the Governor. What this means is our voice just got a lot smaller! The Council will report to the Governor and the Director of the newly formed Department of Natural Resources and Environment. This Council will cover orv’s, snowmobiles, biking, equestrian, hiking, skiing… etc. No one knows where, when or how often this Council will meet. The term of a Council member is 4 years and will not be paid for their time. Several people spoke of their concerns about the Executive Order. The person in charge of the transition is Bruce Rasher (spl?). The MUCC has organized opposition to the EO.
Changes to the grant date deadlines are being considered – apply from February to May 1 and grants approved by October.
Dick indicated there about 80 orv clubs in Michigan. He also went over several changes to the orv program that may be submitted. This was also discussed at our dinner in South Branch. The actual bill has not been written as of yet.
For the fiscal year ending October 2009, there were 204,000 orv permits (stickers) sold compared to approximately 180,000 in 2008.
Grant money has been approved to build a new trailhead in Alcona County. This will be for a trail on NSF land and county roads.
A large portion of the Old State House trail remains closed because of the possibility of old unexploded ordinance being in the area. It will remain closed indefinitely until the Department of Defense evaluates the situation. I got the impression not much is being done about this.
The final report by the Off-road Vehicle Route Standards Committee in regards to the new routes established on Drummond Island was provided. I posted this report earlier. Note the following – this is a huge step: “In some circumstances, designating an ORV route that contains water filled depressions or mud holes may be acceptable, but in some cases it may not be. Each potential site must be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.” It further states that a by-pass should be considered for those that do not want to drive thru the mud/water. This is a big deviation from what was acceptable in the past from the DNR. We need to applaud those that put this together.

This was very likely the last meeting for this board I am sad to say. I have been attending these for about the last five or so years. I have seen a lot of progress and better communication between the users, DNR, USFS, law enforcement...etc. I have met and established relationships with a lot of great people that really care about our sport. This disbandment of this board will likely be a huge step backwards for us.

T-way
November 22nd, 2009, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the report Bruce. Nicely done! Everyone here will appreciate this information!

Thanks also for taking so much time to attend all of these meetings. I applaud ALL of the volunteers who give their time so unselfishly!!

:yourock:

Jarhead
November 23rd, 2009, 04:23 PM
Nice notes/minutes, THANKS!