PDA

View Full Version : Migration 2010

oz97tj
June 17th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Ok, I'm looking for ideas for next years Migration. What sort of places do people recommend. I am even considering taking a group out of state.

Doug, I read in the Boondocker about some place in Ohio. Would it be worth while to take a group there, and then to a place like the Badlands?

If anybody has any ideas of fun wheeling locations, or even interesting sights we can plan during travel days please let me know.

Also, now that we have this year out of the way and know what to expect, I want to advertise more and have a bigger group for next year. However, this also means I'm going to need some help. Tim Tull and I worked our butts off, with some help from Pat Brower, but we will likely need some help from others. If you are interested in going on a couple day trip to multiple locations and meeting some great people who become extended family, then please contact me to help out.

Thanks a bunch!

Jarhead
June 18th, 2009, 07:33 AM
The location in Ohio would provide a nice side trip if you were on your way to Penn's Cave in route to Rausch Creek. Otherwise, the location in Ohio would do little to provide entertainment for more than a day (at present). The location is still being improved over time.

oz97tj
June 18th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Penns cave? Rausch creek?

Jarhead
June 18th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Penns cave? Rausch creek?

Pennís Cave: http://www.pennscave.com/

Rausch Creek: http://www.rauschcreekoffroadpark.org/

The location in Ohio: http://www.jeepskool.com/

OldSlowReliable
June 19th, 2009, 07:28 AM
NPORA is doing a little thing in michigan next summer to, kinda similar to the migration....But ours is more a circuit, starting @ mounds and circling all the parks and such. ie mounds, silverlake, twisted trails, beaver island (?), drummond island, rocks and valleys.

Since the nissan crowd is kinda small, and especially just in the midwest, we may just join in with the migration to make things easier, and get a bigger group :)

oz97tj
June 19th, 2009, 01:03 PM
NPORA is doing a little thing in michigan next summer to, kinda similar to the migration....But ours is more a circuit, starting @ mounds and circling all the parks and such. ie mounds, silverlake, twisted trails, beaver island (?), drummond island, rocks and valleys.

Since the nissan crowd is kinda small, and especially just in the midwest, we may just join in with the migration to make things easier, and get a bigger group :)

That's not a problem at all. The Migration we just had consisted of Silver Lake, Twisted Trails, then Drummond Island, so it is exactly what you guys want to do. For next year, I'm just trying to find other locations, so we don't hit the same places every year.

joe_jeep
June 19th, 2009, 09:18 PM
mounds, rocks and valleys, turtle ridge. 3 you didnt hit this year. also look into the badlands, rausch creek, two out state places.

oz97tj
June 19th, 2009, 10:43 PM
We were going to hit Turtle Ridge, but the group decided to hit state trails instead.

Rocks and Valleys is on the list. Mounds was discussed for this year, but it's the Mounds. lol

I'm looking into Badlands and Rausch Creek though.

WhiteRhino
June 20th, 2009, 06:18 AM
Something to consider is that the mounds should have the next phase of rocks in by next year. I realize that I didn't participate this year but I kinda like the idea of covering the in-state stuff first. However, argueing with myself, maybe one year in-state, then a year out of sate and back in-state. Altering may be nice......

oz97tj
June 20th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Something to consider is that the mounds should have the next phase of rocks in by next year. I realize that I didn't participate this year but I kinda like the idea of covering the in-state stuff first. However, argueing with myself, maybe one year in-state, then a year out of sate and back in-state. Altering may be nice......

I just don't want it to get stale by going to the same places

WhiteRhino
June 20th, 2009, 04:42 PM

How would Joe's suggestion go stale?:confused:
This year was Silver Lake, Twisted Trails and Drummond state trails.
He suggested the Mounds, Rocks & Valleys and Turtle Ridge.

Same format, different venues. Or, are you suggesting a totally different format?

joe_jeep
June 21st, 2009, 08:21 AM
How would Joe's suggestion go stale?

impossible! my ideas are timeless classics. they never go stale:thumb:!

WhiteRhino
June 21st, 2009, 11:21 AM
impossible! my ideas are timeless classics. they never go stale:thumb:!

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

:lmao:

Jarhead
June 21st, 2009, 06:17 PM

This from a guy who hasn't married yet :confused:

Renegade II
June 21st, 2009, 06:37 PM
This from a guy who hasn't married yet :confused:

oz97tj
June 22nd, 2009, 10:01 PM
I just don't want everything to be the same every year. I want it to be an adventure for everyone. Even the people who come every year. This is why I'm considering other locations.

DDS4X4
June 23rd, 2009, 01:45 AM
I like your ideas, keep putting them out here for comments.

All will not agree, but they are still GREAT ideas!

Change is good.

oz97tj
June 23rd, 2009, 03:36 PM
I hope people don't agree and put there thoughts in. I want this event to be THE event that everyone wants to make!

timbercruiser
June 26th, 2009, 10:30 AM
I think it should stay in Michigan (Great Lakes) at least next year. As it gets bigger and more people make the run, then it can go outstate.
It should be a highlight of Michigan wheeling.

dune_n
June 27th, 2009, 09:33 AM
This year was great!
Although I agree we would'nt want the run to get stale, with the small turnout this year, next could be very similar without any trouble. (Plus most of us this year where new to some of the locations and would gladly go back). Even with a similar run variations could be added, such as Turtle Ridge on Drummond, Rocks & Valleys, etc. Again thanks for this years work, had a great time.
I'd be open to some scouting also for next year, let me know.

Robocon
December 2nd, 2009, 08:03 PM
The location in Ohio would provide a nice side trip if you were on your way to Penn's Cave in route to Rausch Creek. Otherwise, the location in Ohio would do little to provide entertainment for more than a day (at present). The location is still being improved over time.

Jarhead,

We have made a few changes since your last visit. We even had a few guest stop by to film a TV show and magazine spread. The Petersen's Ultimate Adventure gang made there way to JeepSkool shortly after you made your above post.

We have been very busy building the big boy stuff and even broke a few of their rigs.:ahhh:

http://i586.photobucket.com/albums/ss306/JeepSkool/p1.jpg

http://i586.photobucket.com/albums/ss306/JeepSkool/d1.jpg

http://i586.photobucket.com/albums/ss306/JeepSkool/pewetb4.jpg

All the action can be seen on our forum or in the Nov/Dec issues of Petersen's 4 Wheel & Off Road. The DVD has been released and is currently shipping also.

Plenty to see and do here and the bathhouse and pavilion have been completed. We are ready!:thumb:

I would be happy to answer any questions you may have and can be reached at Robocon@JeepSkool.com

Thank you,

-Kelly

Creative Fab
December 3rd, 2009, 09:08 AM
"I would be happy to answer any questions you may have"

Thats funny right there, I don't care who you are.

Kixx007
December 3rd, 2009, 09:24 AM
Did the UA guys have to go through the JeepSkool first?

T-way
December 3rd, 2009, 09:40 AM
Like it takes a lot to break the rigs on the UA!!! I don't give a crap how stoutly they're built............when you put a monkey (Pewe) behind the wheel who does nothing but mash the skinny pedal............guess what???

You're gonna break your crap!!! For some reason, they think that's what sells magazines and DVDs. Show me someone who can wheel the tough stuff without breaking their rig EVERY TIME, and I'll be impressed!!!

WhiteRhino
December 3rd, 2009, 10:14 AM
Show me someone who can wheel the tough stuff without breaking their rig EVERY TIME, and I'll be impressed!!!

:wave:

Zero breakage since early 07. (of course I don't wheel)

Creative Fab
December 3rd, 2009, 11:58 AM
What about this one?

WhiteRhino
December 3rd, 2009, 12:08 PM
What about this one?

hahahaha............ I forgot about that one.:banghead:

That is the only breakage that comes to mind.:rolleyes: It was a 1310 u-joint that has since been replaced by a 1350.

jeepbrattt
December 3rd, 2009, 05:23 PM
"I would be happy to answer any questions you may have"

Thats funny right there, I don't care who you are.

joe_jeep
December 3rd, 2009, 05:49 PM
Show me someone who can wheel the tough stuff without breaking their rig EVERY TIME, and I'll be impressed!!!

never had any major breakage on a tj with a dana 35/30 combo with 35's or 36's and over 100k miles. broke a couple front axle shafts. mostly due to old worn out ujoints i was too cheap and lazy to replace. always drove it out under its own power.

i have taken the pink trail a few times when i knew i was in over my head though. not afraid of the strap or cable. you gotta know your rigs limits.

Jarhead
December 3rd, 2009, 05:54 PM
:wave:

Zero breakage since early 07. (of course I don't wheel)

When was Mud Mania at The Mounds?

Jarhead
December 3rd, 2009, 05:57 PM
Jarhead,

We have made a few changes since your last visit. We even had a few guest stop by to film a TV show and magazine spread. The Petersen's Ultimate Adventure gang made there way to JeepSkool shortly after you made your above post.

We have been very busy building the big boy stuff and even broke a few of their rigs.:ahhh:

All the action can be seen on our forum or in the Nov/Dec issues of Petersen's 4 Wheel & Off Road. The DVD has been released and is currently shipping also.

Plenty to see and do here and the bathhouse and pavilion have been completed. We are ready!:thumb:

I would be happy to answer any questions you may have and can be reached at Robocon@JeepSkool.com

Thank you,

-Kelly

Glad to hear of all the progress...here's hoping the new year brings me more time to wheel. All this Land Use Access Stuff :banghead: has kept me away from the trails.

WhiteRhino
December 3rd, 2009, 09:39 PM
When was Mud Mania at The Mounds?

June of 06 or 07 if you're referring to blowing my motor. Don't remember which year now.

TWEAK
January 12th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Anything be decided on this? What places are you currently looking at running the event at, and what dates?

I would love to join in on this event. Was going to join in last year, but I had my rig torn apart at the time.

DieselMTU
January 12th, 2010, 10:04 PM
I can't get enough of the UP... that is where I would like to spend the trip. That being said I doubt I will be able to make it for a couple reasons...

I don't know if there is much on the NE side of the state. I know there are a few snowmobile trails and a route by Devil's Lake, but both are not that exciting. May be Timbercruiser orT-Way have some suggestions. There is also the 67 mile ORV Route from in the Western UP. I think it is Wakefield to Iron Mountain or something. The short time I was on the route it was just an old gravel RR bed, but may be it would get more interesting in places. There are camp grounds on both ends. There is also a lot of old forest roads around Pictured Rocks Lakeshore, some are just dirt road, some a tight and a true rutted two track. Plenty of camping and day sight seeing. May be we should think about just a caravan to a general area. Start in Detroit or Lansing and caravan north, picking up people along the way. Set up a base camp for the first night, like a group camp ground. and then spend a few days jumping from camp ground to camp ground by staying on the dirt.

So I will just spew out suggestions and opinions... but that is about all I can committ to.

Jarhead
January 13th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Get a hold of Mr-S as he would apt to have ideas for the Upper Peninsula. I have a Michigan Waterfalls book if you would to take a gander.

oz97tj
January 13th, 2010, 04:03 PM
Last summer when I went up, there was a group running (a couple guys from here were with them) that had quite a trip. I wanted to tag along some, but wasn't able. I would bet if we wanted to do something along those lines we could recruit them for a little help with a route.

On the other hand, last years Migration was more of a point to point trip with technical wheeling. If we did a UP type trip, it would be more of an expedition. I guess it would depend on what type of wheeling the people would want to do. I'm up for either but if I had to pick would like to do more exploring of the UP.

DieselMTU
January 13th, 2010, 04:27 PM
It is tough, as we know there are a number of people in the group that have purpose built, non-street vehicles and would have to tow them everywhere and could only go on ORV trails or private parks.

I think this was mentioned before... but would some of the local clubs be willing to sponsor a day or two of wheeling. Leave it up to the group if they want to plan for state / federal ORV trails or stop by a local park. May be set up help set up a over night accomidations at a camp ground or other place.

Could we get a paper / mag company / video company (I know we know one of them) to tag along with the group as a PR side. Of course that would mean all would have to be on their best behavior.... That would give businesses and parks the incentive to sponsor the event in some way. The paper / mag / video could call them out as being a sponsor and it would be a way of advertising. $25 or whatever it is for a day in a park could add up to more money than some would spend if you hit 4 or 5 parks (I am thinking this is closer to a week long event). I am not saying the parks should do it for free (unless they want to) but offer a "Sam's Club Bulk Buy" rate.

Again just me playing armchair quaterback here throwing out ideas.

oz97tj
January 13th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Carl, a couple things come to mind.

First, last year wasn't a huge turnout. It was the first year and it was to be expected. However, all those that did turn out were %100 street legal. We did not have any trailer only rigs, even at the parks.

Second, obviously people have the choice, but last year we were trying to get people to do the whole run with the group anyway. Those that did attend stated it was a great time doing the whole run. I will also vouch for that and at the end, we were all like family. It really was a bunch of fun getting to know everyone and having to work together.

As for the parks, if we did a western UP thing, there aren't any parks over that way that I'm aware of anyway, so we need to either decide if we want to do another park event like last year, or a UP expedition type event.

I do like the idea of having a magazine tag along though. Could be good press for the association.

TWEAK
January 13th, 2010, 07:12 PM
Carl, a couple things come to mind.

First, last year wasn't a huge turnout. It was the first year and it was to be expected. However, all those that did turn out were %100 street legal. We did not have any trailer only rigs, even at the parks.

Second, obviously people have the choice, but last year we were trying to get people to do the whole run with the group anyway. Those that did attend stated it was a great time doing the whole run. I will also vouch for that and at the end, we were all like family. It really was a bunch of fun getting to know everyone and having to work together.

As for the parks, if we did a western UP thing, there aren't any parks over that way that I'm aware of anyway, so we need to either decide if we want to do another park event like last year, or a UP expedition type event.

I do like the idea of having a magazine tag along though. Could be good press for the association.

Although the UP expedition sounds like fun, if I made the drive up to the UP I would rather run up to Canada and do some runs there.

If I tagged along, my rig would be towed from point to point, even though its 100% street legal... Its just not the most comfortable thing to drive for miles and miles of pavement.

I think promoting it both as a "migration trip" as well as day events could bring two different crowds together. With the state of the economy, it would be nice for some people who can't take time off from work (or don't have work) to be able to stop in at a local park and meet-up with fellow GLFWDA members.

oz97tj
January 13th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Although the UP expedition sounds like fun, if I made the drive up to the UP I would rather run up to Canada and do some runs there.

If I tagged along, my rig would be towed from point to point, even though its 100% street legal... Its just not the most comfortable thing to drive for miles and miles of pavement.

I think promoting it both as a "migration trip" as well as day events could bring two different crowds together. With the state of the economy, it would be nice for some people who can't take time off from work (or don't have work) to be able to stop in at a local park and meet-up with fellow GLFWDA members.

You have to keep in mind that for the most part, the two types we are discussing will be basically catering to different crowds. The "expedition" group will have rigs built in a different manner and will be fine driving long distances. The "park" group will be different.

The problem I see is last year we did a park run. We could do pretty much the same run as we did last year, but what fun is it doing the same thing? We didn't hit R&V, or the Mounds, or Bundy Hill, so we could do an east side thing, but north of R&V we are limited to Twisted Trails and Turtle Ridge.

Early in this thread, there was talk of maybe going out of state as well. Anyone have any more thoughts on that?

DieselMTU
January 14th, 2010, 12:04 AM
Oz,

I agree. The migration / expedition idea sounds a lot more fun to me. I was tryng to throw out a suggestion to fit in both crowds. But some times trying to please everyone, means you please no one.

I am so what think of this as a PR opportunity for GLFWDA as well as a good time. I keep thinking there is a lack of exposure on the east side of the state. Again... it does not seem to offer as much, but a group of 4x4s with GLFWDA stickers will sure get the word out.

I wish I new more about WI or IL or PA and yes Doug.... OH, but without moe people from those states chiming in... I don't know what we would to there. I beside WI Dells or the Iron Range in MN.

What about doing the Lake Superior Circle Tour? That is Canada and other states, may be modify it to hit the trails (staying "close" to the lake instead of on the pavement...

DDS4X4
January 14th, 2010, 01:37 AM
I am following along with the dialog, Carl, not missing much in OH, unless you go WAY southeast and then its like going to Canada, you might as well keep going into KY and beyond.

DieselMTU
January 14th, 2010, 02:15 PM
I am following along with the dialog, Carl, not missing much in OH, unless you go WAY southeast and then its like going to Canada, you might as well keep going into KY and beyond.

So you are saying my current perspective on that state is correct? :bootyshake:

I didn't mean you weren't follwing along... I wanted to come up with a good stab at the "fine" state of OH, without making it too obvious.

oz97tj
January 14th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Oz,

What about doing the Lake Superior Circle Tour? That is Canada and other states, may be modify it to hit the trails (staying "close" to the lake instead of on the pavement...

I've heard of guys doing this on bikes and such, but never thought about this with an offroad slant. Is this possible? How long do you think it would take?

I really like this idea and think it could be very cool.

DieselMTU
January 14th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Well I don't know if it is possible for an offroad event from the stand point of what Canada has to offer for trails. As a matter of perspective, my waife and I did a full circle of the UP in a week. We only hit pavement when required and spent a couple days in the same places. I know there is plenty of wheeling / exploring in the UP.

So to sum that up. I think it is totally doable, but have no idea how long it would take... may be too long for this type of event.

oz97tj
January 14th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Well I don't know if it is possible for an offroad event from the stand point of what Canada has to offer for trails. As a matter of perspective, my waife and I did a full circle of the UP in a week. We only hit pavement when required and spent a couple days in the same places. I know there is plenty of wheeling / exploring in the UP.

So to sum that up. I think it is totally doable, but have no idea how long it would take... may be too long for this type of event.

I've never done any wheeling in Canada so I have absolutely no idea what to think about that.

As for the UP, check out some of the guys on ExpeditionPortal.com. They did quite the run.

Edit: Here is a website they made with some info. http://www.upoverland.org

This past year they started in Copper Harbor and worked their way to the Sault running mostly dirt and seeing lots of great scenery. I've heard some talk that they are thinking of doing a run further west this year. Either way, we could most likely get some great help with a route...

T-way
January 15th, 2010, 09:27 AM
I've been following along with this discussion also. I think there are several great ideas being floated around!!

It's probably pretty obvious, but just in case - if there is any real chance of this run heading into Canada this year, you had better decide on that early enough so that any interested parties have time to get either their enhanced drivers license, or a passport!

timbercruiser
January 15th, 2010, 12:29 PM
I've never done any wheeling in Canada so I have absolutely no idea what to think about that.

As for the UP, check out some of the guys on ExpeditionPortal.com. They did quite the run.

Edit: Here is a website they made with some info. http://www.upoverland.org

This past year they started in Copper Harbor and worked their way to the Sault running mostly dirt and seeing lots of great scenery. I've heard some talk that they are thinking of doing a run further west this year. Either way, we could most likely get some great help with a route...

That was a neat run! I was on the "official" part that started in Marquette and it was gravel/two track (except for the BIG washout).

If you come toward Indian River/Cheboygan, we can take the group on a 2-2.5 rated trail. (1-5 rating system)

DDS4X4
January 15th, 2010, 08:43 PM
Have Passport ... can Travel!

I'm ready.

oz97tj
February 14th, 2010, 01:52 AM
Well, this really isn't generating much interest it seems. As much as I want this to happen, I don't see it happening unless we set some specifics and get working soon.

If we chose the same time of year as last year, it would leave us very little time to get everything all set.

Can I get a little input from the BOD please? Are we going forth with this, or should we keep our sights on the other activities already planned and revisit this next year?

I think I'm stressing too much about this... lol

DDS4X4
February 14th, 2010, 05:33 AM
More input would be good ... and direction from the BOD is always good, but stressing out about anything is never good ... so enjoy the winter weather and "CHILL", it will all come together in due time if it should.

oz97tj
February 14th, 2010, 07:11 AM
More input would be good ... and direction from the BOD is always good, but stressing out about anything is never good ... so enjoy the winter weather and "CHILL", it will all come together in due time if it should.

I can't really say I'm that stressed. Just looking for clarification really. Last year, we had most all the plans set in place by this time of year and we only had prerunning left to do.

I do really need to get out wheeling though. It's been about 4 months now...

Jarhead
February 14th, 2010, 07:21 AM
Well, this really isn't generating much interest it seems. As much as I want this to happen, I don't see it happening unless we set some specifics and get working soon.

If we chose the same time of year as last year, it would leave us very little time to get everything all set.

Can I get a little input from the BOD please? Are we going forth with this, or should we keep our sights on the other activities already planned and revisit this next year?

I think I'm stressing too much about this... lol

After last years event, you should have some idea why it is so difficult for an individual to put an event together and normally reserved for Clubs. I personally like the idea and believe the Northern Migration provides a very unique opportunity.

Get with Dan and put some ideas of what you guys would like to do this summer. Than throw those ideas out as a plan for Northern Migration 2010.

If MSG is going to do DOA, maybe you could do a week's build up which brings everyone to the final rest by joining another event. Get a hold of Rob (rtikql8) or Tim (timmy_69) if you want to try and do something with DOA.

WhiteRhino
February 14th, 2010, 07:54 AM
It would help if we saw some input from our trail ride comittee chairman.

Or do we still have one??????........

Jarhead
February 14th, 2010, 01:34 PM
It would help if we saw some input from our trail ride comittee chairman.

Or do we still have one??????........
Tim Tull was involved in last years event.

I am in regular communication with Tim as well.

JR was looking for some additional assistance, direction from the BOD as I understood it.

oz97tj
February 14th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Bob hit it. Looking for direction as well as help.

Last year, Tim and I put the event together. Last minute Tim had some things come up, so I ended up running with it by myself. I don't intend to do that again. As stated previously, I was very fortunate to have a great group of people that came along that made it easier.

Bob, as for your comment about clubs, I realize we aren't a club, but we have many members that I was hoping would offer assistance.

This year, if this happens, I know I won't be able to put as much work in as I did last year, therefore would need some assistance. I've spoke with Dan about the issue, and for various reasons I'm not sure he could provide much assistance at this time.

What has me concerned most is routes.

If we decide to do parks, that part is easy except for travel from park to park. However, this year may be better served keeping to slightly more mainstrean roads with some scenic stops instead of trails like last year. It was fun, but not sure if it was worth all the work, considering we had to keep to trails we could still make decent time on.

If we decide to do an expedition of sorts, we have a bunch of work finding routes. Which isn't exactly easy considering just to get to those routes is a 5 to 7 hour drive. This is why we need to get moving. We can't exactly do much for prerunning at this point, but we can start pooling our minds together to see where we want to go.

So, anybody want to help? Anyone want to run with this?

Bob, I haven't talked with Tim since last years Migration. Is he still available to work on this?

WhiteRhino
February 14th, 2010, 09:37 PM
Guys, don't get defensive.:poke: In years past, the trail ride committee chairman was the person who helped to head up EVERY GLFWDA run if it had the GLFWDA name attached to it. Bob, it's great that YOU are in touch with Tim but it doesn't look like any of the other 300 members are.....

oz97tj
February 14th, 2010, 09:46 PM
Who was defensive? lol

:confused::confused::confused:

I thought this was a discussion. Either way, your right about the TRC chairman, but it doesnt seem to be working that way.

Jarhead
February 15th, 2010, 08:09 AM
Guys, don't get defensive.:poke: In years past, the trail ride committee chairman was the person who helped to head up EVERY GLFWDA run if it had the GLFWDA name attached to it. Bob, it's great that YOU are in touch with Tim but it doesn't look like any of the other 300 members are.....
Sorry, if I appeared defensive, it was not my intention. My only point was if I correspond with him on a regular basis, so can anyone else. Tim did go back to work as a County Deputy and has been overly busy.

Who was defensive? lol

:confused::confused::confused:

I thought this was a discussion. Either way, your right about the TRC chairman, but it doesnt seem to be working that way.
Tim has offered to help if he can. Due to work he prefers people to call in lieu of sending e-mails, PM's and such.

Tim's contact information , including phone number is listed on our contact page at http://www.glfwda.org/index.php?page=contact

timbercruiser
February 16th, 2010, 07:33 PM
I can get you from Wolverine to the Bridge on two-tracks and gravel.

phittie1100
February 16th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Tentative Dates? Unfortunately with the UFWDA AGM right in the middle of June, I am assuming this will have to be a July or August trip?

oz97tj
February 16th, 2010, 09:24 PM
Dates? I"m not even sure we had decided to do this yet. And if we do, we haven't decided if we are going to do another park to park or expedition.

I will say last summer we did a UP trip in mid August and the weather was great. Warm enough at nights to be very comfortable in a tent or even under the skies. Day time temps weren't too bad because we were so far north. Best of all, very few bugs.

I'll pose a question to everyone. What would be most appealing to the majority of the members? What types of rigs do most people have? Are there more built trailer queens, or daily driver types? This may help us decide what we should do. Last year, the biggest tires were 35s and all were daily driver type rigs. We should plan the trip around that.

Jarhead
February 17th, 2010, 07:12 AM
I believe as an Association we need to get behind this on a grander scale. Last year we did decals. This year I believe we need to include a t-shirt (advertisement is key to success) in addition to the decal (which I really liked). I have some other ideas but only put this forth to get folks creative juices flowing.

I hope my schedule allows me to participate in this unique opportunity.

phittie1100
February 17th, 2010, 09:52 AM
You know us anal accountants, need a filing deadline first, then work out the details later LOL!

oz97tj
February 17th, 2010, 04:09 PM
I believe as an Association we need to get behind this on a grander scale. Last year we did decals. This year I believe we need to include a t-shirt (advertisement is key to success) in addition to the decal (which I really liked). I have some other ideas but only put this forth to get folks creative juices flowing.

I hope my schedule allows me to participate in this unique opportunity.

We talked about doing t-shirts last year, but seeing as we didn't charge anything for people to come, we didn't do shirts. Also, we didn't have much pre-registration. More than half the people that did show up did not pre register. It just wasn't worth while to design and pay for the set up for two or three sold. I do agree shirts would be cool though.

You know us anal accountants, need a filing deadline first, then work out the details later LOL!

Before I will agree to setting dates, we need to figure out what sort of event we want this to be. Us anal police types want to know what to plan for first.

Bishop
February 17th, 2010, 08:49 PM
I was just thinking about last years event and how i couldn't wait for this year!!
If there is anything i can help out with please let me know.

oz97tj
February 17th, 2010, 09:01 PM
I was just thinking about last years event and how i couldn't wait for this year!!
If there is anything i can help out with please let me know.

Bob, I'm glad you posted. Seeing as you went along last year, what would you like to see this year? Another park to park, or more of an expedition type run?

We may take you up on your offer to help. First, we must decide what type of run we are going to make and then figure out what needs to be done.

Bishop
February 17th, 2010, 09:24 PM
Bob, I'm glad you posted. Seeing as you went along last year, what would you like to see this year? Another park to park, or more of an expedition type run?

We may take you up on your offer to help. First, we must decide what type of run we are going to make and then figure out what needs to be done.

Well, I enjoyed last years trip. I really enjoyed going park to park.
To me going to one park wouldn't be as fun. at least in Michigan. But I cant say much for out of state wheeling because I have never been anywhere but Michigan and Canada.

Although I would not mind at all going down south, as it has been something I have really wanted to do. Travel distance would be a big factor though. I really don't want to drive 6-7 hours in my DD to do more extreme wheeling that I have a greater chance of breaking.
With that in mind, deciding whether the event is going to be based on driving your rig to the park or not will play a large part.

Personally if the trip was the same as last years but different parks I would love it.

oz97tj
February 17th, 2010, 09:53 PM
Well, I enjoyed last years trip. I really enjoyed going park to park.
To me going to one park wouldn't be as fun. at least in Michigan. But I cant say much for out of state wheeling because I have never been anywhere but Michigan and Canada.

Although I would not mind at all going down south, as it has been something I have really wanted to do. Travel distance would be a big factor though. I really don't want to drive 6-7 hours in my DD to do more extreme wheeling that I have a greater chance of breaking.
With that in mind, deciding whether the event is going to be based on driving your rig to the park or not will play a large part.

Personally if the trip was the same as last years but different parks I would love it.

Different parks would include Bundy Hill and Rocks and Valleys, and last year we planned on hitting Turtle Ridge, but didn't due to more people wanting to explore the state trails.

What are your thoughts on a UP expedition? Something going west and up around by Copper Harbor, and maybe into the Porcupines?

I was kind of thinking doing something like starting on the west side and moving east expedition style (which wouldn't be hard wheeling but with lots of great sights and dispersed camping) and then maybe ending up on Drummond and hitting Turtle Ridge.

Bishop
February 17th, 2010, 10:42 PM
The expedition type trip would be nice for sight seeing and such. Right now that's not what I would have interest in doing.
I am more interested in wheeling, and sight seeing/wheeling is fun too. I'm just not sure the UP has anything to offer that I would enjoy. as far as wheeling goes.

If the Northern Migration was to be aimed more towards sight seeing, then that may be the right path.

I myself have some problems. i no longer have a decent set of aggressive street tires such as AT'a or MT's. My current MT's are almost bald, and will be replaced by non aggressive tires. As i have a new set of LTB super swampers i use for off road use. so far i have trailerd my tires to the off road destination. The tires do not like speed and cornering. I would not have done well with the LTB's last trip.
I don't think hauling a trailer would have worked out very well last year. at the same time i wouldn't have liked to go to the parks on street tires.

however i wouldn't think the UP would be much of an issue with street tires, unless there is a stop at Turtle Ridge.

so depending on which way this goes this trip may or may not be right for me this year.

Thought from my brother Zach.

i think that for northern migration, a park to park might be the way to go, its easy, it makes it easy on rigs that might have problems, and if we hit the right parks, it'll definitely be a challenge

oz97tj
February 17th, 2010, 10:51 PM
Ok great! Thanks for your thoughts. That's what I was looking for. I have a question though. You trailer your tires to the park? What do you do, swap them out to wheel, then swap back to ATs for the drive home? Seems like a lot of work. Sell the LTBs, buy a set of MT/R Ks or KM2s and drive them everywhere! lol

Now I guess we plan park to park. Maybe a Bundy Hill to Rocks and Valleys to Turtle Ridge, with a camp night in between R&V and the Ridge? Similar to last year time wise.

oz97tj
February 17th, 2010, 10:52 PM
I can get you from Wolverine to the Bridge on two-tracks and gravel.

Tell me more about this? What types of trails? Can you make some decent time on them, or slow creepy crawling tight trails? Any good places to camp?

oz97tj
February 17th, 2010, 10:59 PM
I just started a thread on GL4x4.

http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?p=2099793#post2099793

Bishop
February 17th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Ok great! Thanks for your thoughts. That's what I was looking for. I have a question though. You trailer your tires to the park? What do you do, swap them out to wheel, then swap back to ATs for the drive home? Seems like a lot of work. Sell the LTBs, buy a set of MT/R Ks or KM2s and drive them everywhere! lol

Now I guess we plan park to park. Maybe a Bundy Hill to Rocks and Valleys to Turtle Ridge, with a camp night in between R&V and the Ridge? Similar to last year time wise.

Yes that is what I do. I have access to a small utility trailer I throw them in.

Sno fari was my first trip, and it worked out just great. i bring a jack and my cordless impact, that makes it a fairly quick job. I didn't mind it in the cold, so im guessing it wont be too bad when its warmer.

I thought for a very long time on what i was going to do about tires. I dont have much money so really cant afford buying really nice tires that i an going to have to replace often. I've done that. i think its stupid to wear out really nice off road tires on pavement. so i bought cheap off road tires and cheap street tires and just put in the extra work to save money.

so all in all it is more work, but I get a better bang for the buck.

Bishop
February 17th, 2010, 11:08 PM
Tell me more about this? What types of trails? Can you make some decent time on them, or slow creepy crawling tight trails? Any good places to camp?

x2, sounds fun. :thumb:

oz97tj
February 17th, 2010, 11:15 PM
Yes that is what I do. I have access to a small utility trailer I throw them in.

Sno fari was my first trip, and it worked out just great. i bring a jack and my cordless impact, that makes it a fairly quick job. I didn't mind it in the cold, so im guessing it wont be too bad when its warmer.

I thought for a very long time on what i was going to do about tires. I dont have much money so really cant afford buying really nice tires that i an going to have to replace often. I've done that. i think its stupid to wear out really nice off road tires on pavement. so i bought cheap off road tires and cheap street tires and just put in the extra work to save money.

so all in all it is more work, but I get a better bang for the buck.

I don't know if it'll be done this summer or not, but I will be starting a small offroad trailer of sorts that I can put a roof top tent on and carry goods in. Then I'll be able to just unhook for the parks. There's nothing wrong with pulling a trailer. The tire changes would get old after the 3rd time though. lol I agree with the cost savings though. I have a set of ATs on rims for my JK, but they just sit there not being used. :banghead:

Bishop
February 17th, 2010, 11:20 PM
I have a question also.

Who can attend this? is it GLFWDA members only?
or is there the $5 supporter thing they can do?

The reason I ask is that both my brothers girlfriend and mine have intrest in going. So they talked about both of the girls going in my girlfriends TJ.

To add to that, Rig requirements should be stressed.
I don't think they have to be extreme. But safe solid tow points front and rear are a must.

oz97tj
February 17th, 2010, 11:42 PM
Last year, the plan was to either be a member, or need to pay the event supporter fee of $5. Due to the low turnout, I decided to just go with it and have fun and not worry about the fee. This year, especially if it get's bigger, will likely charge the fee.

As for vehicle requirments, last year we tried to stress safe tow points. It mostly worked. There was the XJ that didn't have any front points. This year, we will have to stress this more.

I'm also thinking we will have to do a pre-registration only type thing. It would make it much easier to get an idea of who will be attending. Not to mention make shirt purchases easier.

Bishop
February 17th, 2010, 11:54 PM
Last year, the plan was to either be a member, or need to pay the event supporter fee of $5. Due to the low turnout, I decided to just go with it and have fun and not worry about the fee. This year, especially if it get's bigger, will likely charge the fee.

As for vehicle requirments, last year we tried to stress safe tow points. It mostly worked. There was the XJ that didn't have any front points. This year, we will have to stress this more.

I'm also thinking we will have to do a pre-registration only type thing. It would make it much easier to get an idea of who will be attending. Not to mention make shirt purchases easier.

Agreed.

Will there be a limit to the rigs?

with more than a handful it may become more difficult to travel as a group from park to park.

and just a couple things that may need to be brought up.

Food. make sure to bring some...

that's all i have for now.:lmao:

oz97tj
February 18th, 2010, 02:13 AM
Last year, we discussed having a limit. Then we realized seeing as it's the first year it likely wouldn't be an issue. And it wasn't... lol

For this year, I'm not sure if we need to worry about it or not. Not to mention if we stay on pavement on the travel portions it should be a big deal anyway.

I guess we will have to play this one by ear and see what we're looking at then.

Bishop
February 18th, 2010, 05:02 PM
As of now, what needs to be done, planed, talked about, ect?

I'd like to help you out with anything that you guys need. I know last year a lot of work was put into it.

Bundy Hill Off Road
February 18th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Bundy Hill would be proud to be the Official Starting Point for this years run.
Anything that's needed, just let us know.
We have camping available 1 mile West of the Park, and can offer trail guides, meeting areas, parking, support, and just about anything else you need.
Just ask and we will try our best to accommodate.

One area that would be kinda fun, (if it's legal) would be the Tank Trails East of Grayling, North of M-72, and North Down River Road, if that's a legal option? I know you can go from M-72 to Fredrick on trails.
Jones Lake right at 612, offers Rustic Camping and a nice beach area. Maybe, check with the Military Base Commander at Camp Grayling, and see if a permit can be obtained to camp on the Federal Land at Lonesome Lake?
I see The National Guard Camped there quite often, as well as Civilians.
Maybe get some Weekend Warriors to guild us around a bit?

Again, if there's anything we can do to help, please let us know.
The Staff and Owners of Bundy Hill Off Road Park.

oz97tj
February 18th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Well, what needs to be done...

We need at least a couple people that we can count on for trail leaders. Even if there are different leaders for each section.

For road sections, we need to find somewhat entertaining or or scenic routes to take.
For dirt sections, same as above, but also keep in mind we will need to make decent time on them. Not to mention depending on the amount of people may need permits. This is where federal land and or seasonal roads are nice to avoid permits.

The parks are easy enough to work out so I can take care of that.

TimberCruiser mentioned leading from Wolverine to the bridge. This could be great. If we could also figure out a place to camp somewhere along the way for night 3 that would be great.

Ed, you mention trails around Grayling. I would imagine Bob, Jarhead, would have an extensive knowledge of those trails and could maybe help out.

Ultimately, we need to figure out our entire route. It needs to keep everyone entertained while still working with our time frame of 4 days.

What I'm thinking is as following:
Day 1 - Start at Bundy Hill. Be lead around the park by one of the park staff that could show us the "good stuff". Leave mid day and work our way north to R&V. Camp someplace near by or even at the park if it's available.

Day 2 - Wheel R&V. Be lead around by staff. Leave mid day and work north. Maybe stop in Grayling or Wolverine for some dirt portions and hit a decent spot to camp.

Day 3 - Finish the trek to Drummond Island. Find a nice place to camp (Turtle Ridge or any of the other campgrounds) or even hit the Drummond Island Resort like last year. Unload vehicles and either go play at Turtle Ridge or hit the state trails. Have a nice dinner and maybe a group campfire.

Day 4 - Wheel either Turtle Ridge or the state trails (opposite of what we did the day before).

timbercruiser
February 18th, 2010, 07:34 PM

The trails I'm thinking about are mostly forest roads. A couple of spots are a little challenging, but nothing major. The route would be adaptable for time constraints.

Camping: there is a state park here in Cheboygan on the Straits and a couple of private parks in Mackinaw City. There is also primitive camping near Black Mountain along our route.

oz97tj
February 18th, 2010, 08:00 PM
I'm thinking the primitive camping could be cool. Any good sites? Near decent scenery? Do you think the campgrounds would be better?

Jarhead
February 19th, 2010, 07:01 AM
If you do Grayling, I have maps, tracks and more.

Wolverine has a lot of ccc trail.

timbercruiser
February 19th, 2010, 12:18 PM
I'm thinking the primitive camping could be cool. Any good sites? Near decent scenery? Do you think the campgrounds would be better?

Yes. Near Black Lake. Also next to a couple good restaraunt/saloon places.

oz97tj
February 19th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Jarhead - With your knowledge of the Grayling area trails, how much time do you think will be spent in that area? Do you think you could take a few minutes and draw a rough route on Mapsource and email it to me?

Timbercruiser - Same questions as above. I don't know if you do Mapsource though???

Jarhead
February 19th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Jarhead - With your knowledge of the Grayling area trails, how much time do you think will be spent in that area? Do you think you could take a few minutes and draw a rough route on Mapsource and email it to me?

Just sent MapSource PDF Pic and track file to your e-mail.

You could spend half a day or all day depending on those in attendance desire to do a variety of sand hill climbs.

zjrick
February 20th, 2010, 03:56 PM
This sound like and interesting event, and I like staying in Michigan. I may be able to make this run depending on the time of year as it sounds like a great time. Not sure if I will be much help in the planning process though, I have not done lots of riding north of Harrison in the Jeep.

Bishop
April 10th, 2010, 07:40 PM
well i haven't been much help at all, but has there been any progress?

oz97tj
April 10th, 2010, 10:10 PM
Yes, I'll post details soon. Keep an eye out.:thumb:

timbercruiser
April 12th, 2010, 09:52 AM
WOW 10 pages now. What are the proposed dates?

Bishop
August 31st, 2010, 10:16 PM
So I take it this has not been planned?

oz97tj
August 31st, 2010, 11:31 PM
So I take it this has not been planned?

Nope. Too few people available to help. I personally want to see this continue. Maybe next year...

rentalrider
September 1st, 2010, 03:57 PM
not maybe. definitely.

lgottler
September 15th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Help me finish my Jeep and I'll be there next year!

oz97tj
September 15th, 2010, 10:27 PM
What needs to be done? We may need a little HELP too. I can't do it myself. I have some ideas to make it cool, but would need assistance.

lgottler
September 16th, 2010, 11:32 PM
Once I get my Jeep together, I can offer help on the ground. But I can help at home if you need someone in that area!

oz97tj
September 17th, 2010, 01:01 AM
Once I get my Jeep together, I can offer help on the ground. But I can help at home if you need someone in that area!

I would think help on the ground would be what would be needed most. With the previous event, there were a couple different pre runs that needed to be done which is quite a task when each time I was driving 2 to 3 hours one way just to get to where I needed to be. They ended up being long days. I was also quite stressed out being the only person that knew the route (which was questionable due to gps issues). This could have been a real issue also if my rig would have broke down or something.

In a perfect world, I'd love to have multiple leaders. Realistically, if we kept the format of parks, a few phone calls is all that's needed to set up the dates. However, creative and fun routes between the parks is needed and I would love to have a different person run each portion. Somebody who is familiar with the area that could also provide some fun info. For instance, while prerunning some sections with Pat B, he was able to take us to a couple places and also offer some insightful info about the area that I though was cool. Not to mention being able to tell us about certain areas that were fought with the DNR over, which spreads awareness about GLFWDA, which is ultimately what we and this event are about. In the end, local knowledge of the trails is sooooo much better than some guy just following a gps. It would be cool to have some of the clubs maybe show us some of their favorite spots. Maybe even get onto some private property. Everyone knows a guy who has a trail cutting through their back woods. Even if they are short trails, it would be cool to hit some trails that aren't normally available.