PDA

View Full Version : GPS

timbercruiser
October 27th, 2005, 04:34 PM
So which GPS do you guys use-especially Whiterhino, because I know you already have trails on your computor.

WhiteRhino
October 28th, 2005, 08:31 AM
I have the Garmin V.
Several others have different versions of Garmins that can share info.

Check with Brian to see how he likes his new one. It looked like it has all the good features.

Does this mean you are going to lead more explorations??? Hmmmm...

Jarhead
October 28th, 2005, 08:52 AM
I use the Garmin V also. I have the TOPO Maps and such for my laptop also. But I have never used the route feature due to always being a follower.

I anticipate a bit of abuse as I am admitting to being "a follower." :BangHead:

Just remember, Lead, Follow or Get the _ _ _ _ Outa My Way!

WhiteRhino
October 28th, 2005, 11:07 AM
The route planner will not do you any good off road. It only plans using defined roads.
The canadian topo maps are the only way to go! It show pretty much every stream and many of the trails. But not all of them! You still need to work hand in hand with the government issued maps.

Everybody is a follower at one time or another. Especially when your leader winds up at a dead end!

timbercruiser
October 30th, 2005, 11:00 PM
I need to buy one for work. We use a garmin map 76s. Is that compatible with your data Jim?

Heck yea, I'm going to do more exploring!! Although I found a pretty good spot without one.... B)

WhiteRhino
October 31st, 2005, 08:51 AM
Don't know without researching. Does it allow downloading of topo maps? Does it store, upload and download tracks?
If so to both, it is compatable.

timbercruiser
November 1st, 2005, 05:13 PM
Nevermind. I'm just going to baorrow one. $300 to buy the Garmin 76. I can get a locker and a rebuild kit for the front end for that!!

Brian
November 1st, 2005, 06:41 PM
If you think $300 is to much money I'm sure you don't want to hear about my new GPS :o

I am very happy with my 276C. It does everything I wanted/needed it to do and much more. It has plenty of memory for tracking, the screen is the perfect size for my Jeep and now that my wife sees how nice it routes trips even she is glad I spent the extra money for this one :)

The only bad thing is it's a Garmin and I don't like the way they trap us into buying all the locked maps and memory cards at inflated prices. Also their support team SUCKS angry

GreyBeard
November 1st, 2005, 09:11 PM
If you are looking to upload topo background from your PC to your GPS so that everything you need is on your GPS, it is not just Garmin that uses proprietary format. I think that all GPS manufacturers use proprietary formats, so the only data you can purchase and use is theirs.

The answer is to use a laptop in conjunction with the GPS. You put the background data and maps of your choice on the laptop. Many GPS units from most manufacturers are able to communicate with the laptop and provide the current accurate location. The laptop software then provides "moving map" capabilities and stores your track logs and waypoints.

Many sets of software out there to work on the laptop. Microsoft Street and Trips works nicely, and Muddy Paws uses that. I go back and forth between DeLorme Topo and OziExplorer. The DeLorme comes with some pretty descent map information and I use that most of the time. Ozi doesn't give you maps, it let you use your own! If I have a nice map of where I am going, I load that into Ozi and use that. If it is a paper map, I scan it in, identify a few points to register (locate) the map, and it is ready to go.

The OziExplorer software was written by an off-roader for use off the paved roads. You can download a trial version for free, but you have to register (and pay) to unlock all the features. I personally find it to be easier to use and more flexible than the DeLorme that I use most of the time. The built in electronic maps on the DeLorme just make it too nice to ignore.

I love using the laptop as my great big display screen and my endless log for track points. One of these days I will get an appropriate mount for it.

WhiteRhino
November 2nd, 2005, 08:21 AM
I also carry my laptop with me. However, I find it too big to run open while wheeling. In addition, I do not want to get contaminants in my keyboard.

By the way, does anyone know of a small laptop with about a 8-9" screen? I have considered this as an option.

I have all the different street maps and topos loaded. The Garmin Mapsource is very accurate with on the streets and the topo maps are within just a few feet of streams and rivers even out in the Canadian bush.

All in all, it works great.

I have never tried to see if the OziExplorer will work with the Garmin. I guess I need to check it out.

GreyBeard
November 2nd, 2005, 04:10 PM
I used to use the GPS by itself with the uploaded MapSource details to my GPS 12 Map. It is much better protected from the elements, but the small screen was becoming a major PITA.

I like the laptop for the trail or the highway. Remember, some of us don't have a separate tow vehicle. I really like using the large screen on the highway. I can glance at it and see enough detail to know where I am and how I am progressing.

The DeLorme software does not scroll smoothly, but the Ozi map does. Ozi also makes it easier to display track logs (or multiple track logs in different colors). The Ozi keystrokes and options seem to be much more oriented to actually using it in a moving vehicle. The DeLorme works, but seems to be written with the expectation that you are using it sitting at a desk.
Zooming in and out is a good example and it is something I use all the time. Ozi makes it easy to do with a keystroke. DeLorme wants you to mouse to a particular control on the screen and then click it. Tough to do with one hand while you are driving down the expressway.