North Horseshoe Lake - Gwinn Unit
Headquarters Lake - Newberry Unit

timbercruiser
May 5th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Close things that bring in money?

oz97tj
May 5th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Close things that bring in money?

They also cost money to have them open so if they aren't being filled, it's costing money.

rentalrider
May 5th, 2009, 06:35 PM
That sucks. Period. I understand it, but it sucks. Apparently everyone's idea of "camping" is having 3 dozen RV's around you in a concrete field with full hookup. I have spent a week at headquarters lake in the UP every fall since meeting my now wife. I live 1mile from Ambrose Lake campground north of W Branch. Apparently it makes TONS more sense to stick over 1/2 million into a small park like that when they're not even adding more sites. Yeah, I love the huge cement boat launch into a lake that's soot and 4ft deep at best. Don't get me wrong, I'll get more use out of this 1/2 million than anyone pro'ly, but just doesn't make sense. Sorry, I don't buy the "costs money" excuse when they waste it foolishly. End of rant. :soap:
(can you tell you struck a nerve? :bootyshake:)

oz97tj
May 5th, 2009, 07:47 PM
That sucks. Period. I understand it, but it sucks. Apparently everyone's idea of "camping" is having 3 dozen RV's around you in a concrete field with full hookup. I have spent a week at headquarters lake in the UP every fall since meeting my now wife. I live 1mile from Ambrose Lake campground north of W Branch. Apparently it makes TONS more sense to stick over 1/2 million into a small park like that when they're not even adding more sites. Yeah, I love the huge cement boat launch into a lake that's soot and 4ft deep at best. Don't get me wrong, I'll get more use out of this 1/2 million than anyone pro'ly, but just doesn't make sense. Sorry, I don't buy the "costs money" excuse when they waste it foolishly. End of rant. :soap:
(can you tell you struck a nerve? :bootyshake:)

Do you need a hug? lol.

I agree with you though. The states is constantly waisting money. It's what they do best. I was just stating that some parks cost more money than they take in. I'm betting this has something to do with their decision.

T-way
May 6th, 2009, 12:16 AM
Exactly! With many of the forest campgrounds, it costs more to maintain them (removing trash, checking for payment, removing money, cleaning limbs, etc.) than is brought in in revenue if the campground is not heavily used or is "out of the way" for staff to have to go there (travel to the sites costs the DNR money too).

Now....I'm not saying that I'm a big fan of these campgrounds being closed, but if it makes sense to save money, than so be it.

It seems that we all want the State to save money, until the savings comes from something that we personally care about!

(Not meant as a criticism of anyone's viewpoint.....just a general observation!! :thumb:)

rentalrider
May 6th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Exactly! With many of the forest campgrounds, it costs more to maintain them (removing trash, checking for payment, removing money, cleaning limbs, etc.) than is brought in in revenue if the campground is not heavily used or is "out of the way" for staff to have to go there (travel to the sites costs the DNR money too).

Now....I'm not saying that I'm a big fan of these campgrounds being closed, but if it makes sense to save money, than so be it.

It seems that we all want the State to save money, until the savings comes from something that we personally care about!

(Not meant as a criticism of anyone's viewpoint.....just a general observation!! :thumb:)

If you re-read my post I said I understand it, just think it sucks. And the argument I had was the $ excuse would only hold water if they weren't wasting $ on a "similar" situated campground like Ambrose Lake. It seems to me that the idea of maintaining only those things that bring in profit is a slippery slope. I mean how many of our trails are in a similar boat? Since they don't (directly) bring in money, should we abandon them? But yes, I know what you're saying. And yes I truly do understand, as I complain about my taxes as well. And yes OZ, I need a hug! Anyone you can send my way??! :poke::thumb:

oz97tj
May 6th, 2009, 03:43 PM
If you re-read my post I said I understand it, just think it sucks. And the argument I had was the $ excuse would only hold water if they weren't wasting $ on a "similar" situated campground like Ambrose Lake. It seems to me that the idea of maintaining only those things that bring in profit is a slippery slope. I mean how many of our trails are in a similar boat? Since they don't (directly) bring in money, should we abandon them? But yes, I know what you're saying. And yes I truly do understand, as I complain about my taxes as well. And yes OZ, I need a hug! Anyone you can send my way??! :poke::thumb:

Rick, come up to Drummond this weekend and I'll get Melissa to hug you. OR, I will!

phittie1100
May 6th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Muskrat Lake sounds familiar - is that the campground near the trail head at Mio?

rentalrider
May 6th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Rick, come up to Drummond this weekend and I'll get Melissa to hug you. OR, I will!

I don't remember exactly what Melissa looks like... but I'll take my chances with her! I do remember what you look like! :lmao: Man, I really wish I could be there this weekend. Working 80hrs this week. :wah:

oz97tj
May 6th, 2009, 06:07 PM
I don't remember exactly what Melissa looks like... but I'll take my chances with her! I do remember what you look like! :lmao: Man, I really wish I could be there this weekend. Working 80hrs this week. :wah:

Melissa is way out of my league. I'm pretty sure she lost a bet. But I do give good hugs!:bootyshake: