PDA

View Full Version : Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association Northern Migration

Jarhead
April 17th, 2009, 01:23 PM
All,

Attached below are the details for the GL4WD Northern Migration. GL4WD has not had its own event in many years, and as you will see below we have put alot of work into this one. We look forward to the support of the masses and I would encourage you to act fast to make reservations.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

Your Humble Executive Chairman of the Notorious Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association Trail Ride Committee,

Tim

Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association
Northern Migration

Welcome to the first annual GLFWDA Northern Migration. This event is intended to include several off road location with varying levels of difficulty.

By design this event is extremely flexible. If participants are unable to attend the entire event they can pick and choose which sections of the event they want to be a part of.

Dates: The dates for this event will be Thursday, June 11th through Sunday June 14th.

Lodging:
GL4WD Association is making suggestions regarding lodging at each location. Individual plans and reservations for all parties will be the sole responsibility of the participants. If anyone needs assistance making reservations or would like suggestions regarding alternate lodging locations, please feel free to contact Tim @ 269-998-5512.

Meals:
In the interest of keeping this event as cost effective as possible participants will be responsible for their own meals. There will be a buffet dinner arranged Saturday night, while on Drummond Island. Participants will be responsible for their own costs. Details are in the outline.

Cost:
There will be no charger to participate in this event, but participants must be members of the Great Lakes 4WD Association. Membership information can be located at http://www.glfwda.org/index.php?page=join. Any additional cost for this event are the sole responsibility of the participants.

Additional Details:
Attached is an outline regarding all the details and information needed to join us for the Northern Migration. If you have any additional questions please feel free to contact Tim Tull by either e-mail sales@ventureoffroad.com or cell 269-998-5512.

To sign up for this event please ensure you are a current GL4WD member, fill out the attached form and forward to Tim Tull at sales@ventureoffroad.com.

Day 1

We will begin by riding at Silver Lake Sand Dunes, in Mears Michigan. Participants can arrive at any time on this day. However, the main group will be ending their tour of the dunes by meeting in the Dunes Parking Lot at 4:00 P.M. for a trail ride from Silver Lake to Twisted Trails ORV Park, in Copemish, MI. Once at Twisted Trails ORV Park we will set up camp for the night. There will be no riding at the Twisted Trails Park on this night.

(Details in the PDF)

Day 2

On day two we will begin the morning with guided trail rides at Twisted Trails ORV Park at 9:00 A.M. After riding all morning we will meet in the main parking lot of Twisted Trails at 3:00 P.M. We will then travel mostly scenic roads from Copemish, Michigan to the Wilderness Campground in Carp Lake, Michigan. This ride will be on marked roadways that will be primarily paved. This is intended to be a scenic easy going road trip. Most of the vehicles in this group are not intended for high speed travel so if you are riding with us plan on taking your time and enjoying the ride.

(Details in the PDF)

Day 3

Our third day we will be leaving from Wilderness State Campground at 9:00 A.M. Sharp. If anyone wants to join us for the ride over the bridge they can either meet us at the Wilderness State Campground before we leave or catch us in route. Once we cross the bridge we will stop at the rest area immediately after the Mackinaw Bridge Toll Booth, which would be a second opportunity for those participants who are unable to attend until Saturday to join us. We will then continue to the Village of Detour and ride the fairy boat across to Drummond Island. We will then ride the rest of the day at the Twisted Trails ORV Park. There will be a group dinner held on Saturday night.

(Details in the PDF)

Date: Sunday, June 14th
Venue: Drummond Island State Trails

Departure Date: Sunday, June 14th
Departure Time: 8:00 A.M.
Departing from: Drummond Island Resort Parking Lot

Ride the Drummond Island State Trail System then head home!

Jarhead
April 17th, 2009, 02:59 PM
The complete itinerary is in the attached PDF

BlueJay
May 8th, 2009, 12:48 PM
We will meet up Saturday morning at Wilderness State Park and hang for the rest of the trip!

oz97tj
May 19th, 2009, 05:24 PM
23 days away...

phazer42
May 20th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Our third day we will be leaving from Wilderness State Campground at 9:00 A.M. Sharp. If anyone wants to join us for the ride over the bridge they can either meet us at the Wilderness State Campground before we leave or catch us in route. Once we cross the bridge we will stop at the rest area immediately after the Mackinaw Bridge Toll Booth, which would be a second opportunity for those participants who are unable to attend until Saturday to join us. We will then continue to the Village of Detour and ride the fairy boat across to Drummond Island. We will then ride the rest of the day at the Turtle Ridge ORV Park. There will be a group dinner held on Saturday night.

I corrected it :thumb:

oz97tj
May 20th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Ha! Thanks Scott. I thought that was already fixed.

oz97tj
May 25th, 2009, 02:11 AM
Just got back from pre-running with Pat, Tim, and new guy Corey (Wrangling Steel). Long dusty day, but we should be good.

Total miles traveled for me today was just shy of 540 with about 16 hours in the JK. Good times.

Oh, and 18 days away.

Tippy
May 26th, 2009, 05:55 PM
I cant believe there are not more people interested in this trip, It sounds like its going to be a great time and hope I can make it.

oz97tj
May 26th, 2009, 07:12 PM
I've actually gotten a fair amount of interest for this. There is just no pre-registration though so it's hard to guess how many people will show. I guess we will have to wait to find out.

Either way, there will be at least a few of us that are going to be having a great time wheeling multiple locations over a couple days.

Bishop
May 26th, 2009, 07:38 PM
on the reservations do we need to make them ourselves for the campgrounds like twisted trails?

oz97tj
May 26th, 2009, 08:22 PM
No need to worry about Twisted Trails. Just show up and we are good. They know we are coming.

I've spoke with Wilderness State Park, and they stated it's still slow at that time and there will be more than enough sites. Statiscally, they are only about %25 full that time of year, so no worries.

The only thing you may want to book in advance is the Drummond Island Resort. My room is already booked there.

Renegade II
May 26th, 2009, 09:49 PM
I cant believe there are not more people interested in this trip, It sounds like its going to be a great time and hope I can make it.

It's nice to still have a job, but it's impossible to get any time off at work. Wish there was a happy medium, I'd really like to drive this whole trip in the old CJ.

Reminds me of a 'date trip' I took with a gal........three days & 600 miles in my 71 CJ5. To this day I thank the stars above that the tires were louder than her :blahblah: mouth :lmao:

oz97tj
May 26th, 2009, 10:13 PM
It's nice to still have a job, but it's impossible to get any time off at work. Wish there was a happy medium, I'd really like to drive this whole trip in the old CJ.

Reminds me of a 'date trip' I took with a gal........three days & 600 miles in my 71 CJ5. To this day I thank the stars above that the tires were louder than her :blahblah: mouth :lmao:

lol. That's funny.

dune_n
May 27th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Wife and I both got the time off work, planning the whole trip!:thumb:

dune_n
June 4th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Less than a week away:woot:
Sure not much talk about it though.

oz97tj
June 4th, 2009, 03:28 PM
First year, so nobody knows what to expect. Those of us that go will have a GREAT time and then next year will be bigger!

rentalrider
June 4th, 2009, 05:23 PM
I'll speak for myself... I'm quiet cuz I'm jealous as h*ll that I won't be able to make it! That trip sounds perfect. I WILL make drummond some time this year though (said that last year too) :rolleyes: Have a great time and post pics and details of the trip for those of us not lucky enough to make it. :thumb: Heck, write a full story for the boondocker! :poke:

Bishop
June 4th, 2009, 07:04 PM
No need to worry about Twisted Trails. Just show up and we are good. They know we are coming.

I've spoke with Wilderness State Park, and they stated it's still slow at that time and there will be more than enough sites. Statiscally, they are only about %25 full that time of year, so no worries.

The only thing you may want to book in advance is the Drummond Island Resort. My room is already booked there.

is there any alternatives to the Drummond Island Resort?
like any camping?

oz97tj
June 4th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Lots of pics will be taken, and I will be writing an article for the Boondocker.

As for Drummond, I wouldn't mind getting a couple people together for a trip up there later in the summer. I really want to dive Fossil Beach and I don't think I'll have time, nor do I have to haul all my scuba gear during Migration. You can come with us then, Rick.

Jarhead
June 5th, 2009, 07:36 AM
is there any alternatives to the Drummond Island Resort?
like any camping?

ACCOMMODATIONS
CAMPING/RV PARKING

Drummond Island Township Park 906-493-5089

Fort Drummond Marine & Resort 906-493-5359

H & H Resort & Campground 800-543-4743 or 906-493-5195

Mack Haven Resort 906-493-5656

MOTELS

Drummond Island Resort 800-999-6343 or (headquarters) 906-493-1000

All Season Cottages 906-493-5254

Arnoldís Landing Resort 888-252-2650 or 906-493-5654

Bear Track Inn 906-493-5090

Birch Tree Resort 06-493-5355

Drummond Island Hotel 906-493-5799

Drummond Island Yacht Haven 800-543-4743 or 906-493-5799

Fort Drummond Marine & Resort 906-493-5359

Lake View Resort 906-493-5241

LA Lakes Resort and Motel 800-543-4743

Papin's Resort 906-493-5254

Vechellís Cedar View Resort 906-493-5381

WA-Wen Resort 906-493-5445

rentalrider
June 5th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Lots of pics will be taken, and I will be writing an article for the Boondocker.

As for Drummond, I wouldn't mind getting a couple people together for a trip up there later in the summer. I really want to dive Fossil Beach and I don't think I'll have time, nor do I have to haul all my scuba gear during Migration. You can come with us then, Rick.

Sounds fantastic! Wife and I love to snorkel and fish, but have never scuba dove. But we can watch you from (the safety of being) at/or just below the surface!

KJdan
June 5th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Im going to make the last leg of the trip next week but rick and oz im in for another trip in the next month or 2

KJdan
June 5th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Sounds fantastic! Wife and I love to snorkel and fish, but have never scuba dove. But we can watch you from (the safety of being) at/or just below the surface!

will your old jeep make it that far buddy?? lol

rentalrider
June 5th, 2009, 12:31 PM
will your old jeep make it that far buddy?? lol

:bootyshake: Now you're just being mean. :lmao:
And it will have to, I mean who else is gonna pull you out? :poke:

oz97tj
June 5th, 2009, 04:35 PM
:bootyshake: Now you're just being mean. :lmao:
And it will have to, I mean who else is gonna pull you out? :poke:

And I'll be pulling you...?

USMC 0369
June 5th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Where can I buy a T-shirt for this auspicious occasion? Even if I can't make it, I wouldn't mind supporting it.

oz97tj
June 5th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Where can I buy a T-shirt for this auspicious occasion? Even if I can't make it, I wouldn't mind supporting it.

Since we aren't sure how many people we will be having, we chose not to do shirts because of the high set up fees. The fees would be fine if we sell lots, but if it's only 10 shirts, it's cost prohibitive.

We will have stickers though...

Also, we chose to keep it simple and not have sponsors and raffles. One reason being the already mentioned item, and also to keep things simple. The goal is to have a relaxing time wheeing over the course of 4 days. This is a no frills wheeling trip. Also, I wasn't sure how much advertising we could provide to the sponsors so we figured we would see how it goes.

Next year, we will have an idea of the amount of people and will do shirts. We will also reevaluate sponsors and prizes.

joe_jeep
June 6th, 2009, 10:55 PM
we chose to keep it simple and not have sponsors and raffles. The goal is to have a relaxing time wheeing over the course of 4 days. This is a no frills wheeling trip.

the way it should be! good job.:thumb:

i would like to attend twsted trails, but ill be working. drummond is a possibility, but i gotta ask the boss(wife). i have a new toy to try out. should be changing the avitar soon.

having our own trip is a great accomplishment! we need to make this an annual thing! it might be a little small this year, but it will grow each year.

USMC 0369
June 7th, 2009, 02:32 PM
having our own trip is a great accomplishment! we need to make this an annual thing! it might be a little small this year, but it will grow each year.

I know that I will certainly be there next year!

Are stickers available to those not able to attend? I had assumed this is the "first annual"... I hope I was right!

It does sound like a very relaxing schedule, and that's why it's so attractive to me. I hate feeling rushed on the trails, setting up and tearing down camp in a hurry...stuff like that leads to lost items, and too much stress. Wish I could make this years run. :wah:

I agree also; it's good to have a GLFWDA event.

OldSlowReliable
June 7th, 2009, 10:22 PM
Oops, didn't realize i was on page two!

Hope you guys have fun! Im workin this into a circuit I am taking next year as a senior trip, and am considering dropping drummond, but ill see what you guys think :D

oz97tj
June 7th, 2009, 11:20 PM
Currently, we are just going to see how this works out, then we'll talk about next year.

The good thing is with it being relatively simple hitting mostly private parks, it's somewhat easy to plan, versus a full blown event like SnoFari.

My biggest concern is not having permits. Everybody please read this and head this advice. We MUST keep groups on Drummond Island to less than 20 people. Not vehicles, 20 people. If we go over that, then we are supposed to have permits. We will just have to break up into smaller groups. No big deal.

Trail_Fanatic
June 8th, 2009, 01:54 AM
We MUST keep groups on Drummond Island to less than 20 people. Not vehicles, 20 people. If we go over that, then we are supposed to have permits. We will just have to break up into smaller groups. No big deal.

Sorry to have to be the bearer of the bad news, but this does not get you around the requirment. :poke:

Only 19 people from the entire event could be on the Drummond Route durring the entire length of the event (all 4 days) to stay under the radar. Although, if you talked with Pat Halfrisch and mentioned that you'd heard that "The Western Upper Penninsula Citizen's Advisory Council agreed with Mi-TRALE and the MiDNR to allow a 'compromise' on the ORV Group Fee structure. The compromise is to allow groups, clubs, and families to have up to 75 riders at an 'event' before the Permit Process goes into effect. However Private and Commercial operations, guide services, tours, and events where fee's are charges would stay at 20." Ask him if he'd be willing to agree to the same comprmise for our "non-competitive, non-comercial, free event". He just might be willing.

WhiteRhino
June 8th, 2009, 06:49 AM
Although I agree that Trail Fanatic is technically correct, this falls as close to not needing a permit as it gets. No fees, no awards or banquet, not handouts, no organized meals, just a group trail riding. If the DNR wants to push you for a permit, then I would aske them to enforce it for every group of riders on the island.

I hope you guys (and gals) have a good time. This falls into the last week of school for my wife so she can't miss any of it.:wah:

TOOLTIME
June 8th, 2009, 07:23 AM
just so we don't hijack this thread, can we maybe start another one about getting together as ORVers and start planning something to debate this "EVENT PERMIT" policy...maybe under land use...just a thought...
Tim

Jarhead
June 8th, 2009, 07:24 AM
Sorry to have to be the bearer of the bad news, but this does not get you around the requirment. :poke:

Only 19 people from the entire event could be on the Drummond Route durring the entire length of the event (all 4 days) to stay under the radar. Although, if you talked with Pat Halfrisch and mentioned that you'd heard that "The Western Upper Penninsula Citizen's Advisory Council agreed with Mi-TRALE and the MiDNR to allow a 'compromise' on the ORV Group Fee structure. The compromise is to allow groups, clubs, and families to have up to 75 riders at an 'event' before the Permit Process goes into effect. However Private and Commercial operations, guide services, tours, and events where fee's are charges would stay at 20." Ask him if he'd be willing to agree to the same comprmise for our "non-competitive, non-comercial, free event". He just might be willing.

With the event being this weekend, there isn't time to converse with Pat Halfrisch. Besides it is much simpler to simply cap your riders at 19 and the remainder goes to Turtle Ridge.

The intent was/is to enjoy a few Private Parks over a number of days (similar in kind to the Ultimate Adventure). Let us not over complicate this and cause undo bothersome worry or concern.

Enjoy the trails, enjoy the camaraderie and have a GREAT TIME!

timbercruiser
June 8th, 2009, 08:49 AM
I'll still be meeting you guys for the trip to Drummond.

oz97tj
June 8th, 2009, 10:33 AM

Sorry, maybe I wasn't exactly clear. As Bob stated the "event" is actually just the parks. It would be very naive though to think people weren't going to go out on the state trails. The plan from the beginning was to hand out some maps to people who wanted to go explore. Or even take some out(because I want to play on the state trails too). The way it was explained to me was we should be good.

As I stated in earlier posts. This isn't an event like all the others. We are doing nothing more than trying to get people to come wheel with us.

BlueJay
June 8th, 2009, 05:27 PM
I just got another grand ckerekee for Lorie, and am doing a motor swap this week. Most of my money will be going to that.....Probably not going to make it. If i don't see ya'll Sat. morning then have some fun for us!

oz97tj
June 8th, 2009, 06:08 PM
I just got another grand ckerekee for Lorie, and am doing a motor swap this week. Most of my money will be going to that.....Probably not going to make it. If i don't see ya'll Sat. morning then have some fun for us!

The motor swap can wait.

Trail_Fanatic
June 8th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Sorry, maybe I wasn't exactly clear. As Bob stated the "event" is actually just the parks.

:thumb:

BTW, What time do you think you'll be leaving Silver Lake?
I still want to try to catch you for that part of the run.

oz97tj
June 8th, 2009, 08:21 PM
According to the flyer above:poke: 4pm.

dune_n
June 8th, 2009, 08:52 PM
For those of us doing the dunes, is the 4:00 meeting time expecting people to be gassed and aired up, ready to travel?
And would you expect a dinner stop or eating before/after the trails?
Oh, what C B channel do you run, it'd be nice to find others at the dunes, prior to the meeting. We should be there about 11 or so.:thumb:

oz97tj
June 9th, 2009, 03:55 AM
For those of us doing the dunes, is the 4:00 meeting time expecting people to be gassed and aired up, ready to travel?
And would you expect a dinner stop or eating before/after the trails?
Oh, what C B channel do you run, it'd be nice to find others at the dunes, prior to the meeting. We should be there about 11 or so.:thumb:

I would like to be leaving the dunes by 4 pm.

As for fuel, we will be hitting a gas station about 10 miles away from the dunes for people to all fill up. About air, I am planning on airing up some from sand pressure, but not street pressure either. We will be on some roads traveling some higher speeds, but will also be in trails as well. So figure someplace in between.

We will be running channel 4 most likely. This is the common channel most wheelers use and will stick with it.

Looks me up at the dunes. I'll be in a red 2 dr JK on 35s with big GLFWDA logos on the doors. I should be arriving at the dunes sometime around 12 or 1 ish. I'll be hanging out in the parking lot sometime around 3.

Mr-S
June 9th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Any firm plans for saturday and sunday? I heard that there would be wheelin on sunday but from experience I have seen that most people wake up on sunday and say "Well, ya know, I got a long ride home....." and no one wheels.

dune_n
June 9th, 2009, 12:17 PM
I'm in for sunday, till early afternoon.
Just heading back to Mackinac for sunday, (Wife likes it there) and headin home monday.

oz97tj
June 9th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Nothing official for Sunday, but I will be playing on the state trails on Sunday. Anyone who wants to come is welcome.

Saturday is scheduled at Turtle Ridge.

Mr-S
June 9th, 2009, 04:08 PM
I'm gonna plan on being there Saturday then. See you guys at the Ferry.

timbercruiser
June 9th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Myself and one other will be running ORV routes on Saturday. We'll meet at the Bridge.

oz97tj
June 10th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Woo Hoo! Starts TOMORROW!!!!!!

phittie1100
June 10th, 2009, 10:00 PM
I wish I was coming along - you guys be safe and take lots of pictures for your favorite quarterly publication!!

dune_n
June 10th, 2009, 10:10 PM
See ya at the dunes!
Should be a great trip:woot:

oz97tj
June 22nd, 2009, 10:04 PM
Sorry this has taken so long. When I got back from the trip, some unexpected issues came up so I didn't get the photos loaded right away. Anyway, here is a link to all the pics.

http://s622.photobucket.com/albums/tt303/oz97tj/Northern%20Migration%202009/

Enjoy!

trucks are for girls!
June 22nd, 2009, 11:40 PM
my jeep looks like a sissy in that hole i was stuck in :woot:

oz97tj
June 23rd, 2009, 12:36 AM
my jeep looks like a sissy in that hole i was stuck in :woot:

Nah, you can't see your 40s under the water.

trucks are for girls!
June 30th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Nah, you can't see your 40s under the water.

hahahaha