PDA

View Full Version : 97 4.0 4x4 rear main

TOOLTIME
June 6th, 2004, 08:34 AM
time for a new one, diy or take it to garage to have done? have hanes book, and tools. thanks tim

Creative Fab
June 30th, 2004, 10:07 AM
For myself I woud do it, just to save some money for fuel so you can afford to drive the thing once it is fixed.

It is a lot of work to do, especially working on the floor with jack stands and such.

If you have the right tools then go for it, I have always said vehicles are just nuts and bolts with a few wires here and there. As long as you dont touch the wires you will do just fine! lol

Pat Kinne
Pres. GLFWDA
1-888-705-8683

Vader5
July 29th, 2004, 01:26 PM
If the 4.0 rear main is a two piece seal (like sbc and amc V-8's) you can drop the pan, pull off the bottom half of the seal, take a skinny blunt (sacrifice one to the grinder if needed) screw driver and gently tap one end of the seal to chace it around the crank until you can pull it around from the opposite end. Then you lube up your new seal with a little oil and gently slide it in until it is centered on the top half of the crank. Put on the lower portion and replace the oil pan. I did this on my 304 and it never leaked again. The leaky seal had destroyed my clutch. I've also done this on a 350. So far it hasn't failed me.

Good luck.