PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning up St. Helen Motor Sports Area

Jarhead
March 30th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Brewmenn says, "I spent a few hours walking around the St. Helen Motor sports area and found quite a bit of garbage. A few shingle piles, some old dump sites, and quite a bit of droped garbage.

How would we go about cleaning it up? Is there any state programs to get money to pay for a dumpster and disposal fees?

Do you think we could get a decent sized crew up there next spring sometime? Maybe we could even convince someone from the area with a dump truck and a small end loader to help with the shingle piles.

brewmenn
April 7th, 2009, 12:07 AM
There will be an "Adopt a Forest" clean up at the St Helen Motorsports area and the surrounding area (Richfield township)

Date: Saturday, April 25th.

Time: registration from 8am-9am, We'll work until the 30 yard dumpster is full. Hopefully by about 4pm.

Meeting place: The township park in St Helen. 10415 Airport Rd, St Helen MI 48656.

What to Bring:
Work gloves
steel rakes
shovels
Rain gear
Pickup truck or Jeep/SUV with a utility trailer. Most known trash sites are in fairly open areas so you don't have to worry about scratches. Some sites may be accessible to 2 wheel drive vehicles, some will require 4 wheel drive.

Lunch will be provided.

A few other things I'm looking for help with:
I'd like to have coffee and doughnuts in the morning at registration. Anyone want to help provide that?
Heavy equipment. I have 1 skid steer lined up. I'd like to have a second "end loader" type machine if possible. Just keep in mind that we'll be using it for removing plies of old shingles dumped in the woods, volunteer at your own risk.
I'd like to get some fliers put up at some of the businesses around there to try to get some of the local people out to help. If anyone can help with that let me know. I put together a flier but it's on my computer at work so I'll try to get that posted tomorrow.

Note that I'm posting this on several sites so there may be multiple discussions going on about this.

Site admin: please move and/or sticky as you deem appropriate.

shawn
April 7th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Thanks Bruce, I'll see if I can make it.

Jarhead
April 7th, 2009, 10:36 AM
...Site admin: please move and/or sticky as you deem appropriate.

Post/Thread is already a "Sticky"

Planning to attend but have a few details to work out as yet...

Ridin Dirty
April 7th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Bruce, I will still need to get with Jeremy, but it is looking like I will be bringing a skid steer with me.

brewmenn
April 7th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Bruce, I will still need to get with Jeremy, but it is looking like I will be bringing a skid steer with me.

Thats the one I'm already counting on.

Ridin Dirty
April 7th, 2009, 11:41 PM
Bruce, it's looking like we are going to be lonely out there...

brewmenn
April 9th, 2009, 04:28 PM
http://www.glfwda.org/photoplog/images/4/large/1_St.jpg

phittie1100
April 9th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Sorry Bruce - we aren't going to make it

Trail_Fanatic
April 20th, 2009, 11:07 AM
http://www.glfwda.org/photoplog/images/4/large/1_St.jpg

:thumb:

Looks GREAT Bruce!
I have a Conservation Congress meeting in Grayling that day or I'd be there FOR SURE!

I'll be thinking of you, hope you have great weather and that it's a fantastic success.

:yourock:

Jarhead
April 20th, 2009, 12:51 PM
In that my truck broke in route to Silver Lake during the shake-down cruise, we will not be able to attend.

Tippy
April 25th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Glad I was able to make this. Bruce you are AWESOME!:thumb:
Thanks to Marv and Sue for having us lunch ready, Jeremy ( kaiser42 ), Roger (Riding Dirty), Jason (DirtPoor) for making sure we had a Skid steer, and everyone else that showed up and stuck it out in the rain.

Rattler
April 25th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Glad I was able to make this. Bruce you are AWESOME!:thumb:
Thanks to Marv and Sue for having us lunch ready, Jeremy ( kaiser42 ), Roger (Riding Dirty), Jason (DirtPoor) for making sure we had a Skid steer, and everyone else that showed up and stuck it out in the rain.

It was wet but fun and constructive! It was my wife's first and she really felt good about ding the clean-up.

DDS4X4
April 26th, 2009, 06:51 AM
THANKS to ALL for their efforts!

Jarhead
April 26th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Thank You to All of You that were able to attend.

Thank You Bruce for putting this together.

Thank You Marv and Sue for providing lunch.

Trail_Fanatic
April 26th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Bruce,

T-way
April 28th, 2009, 11:09 PM
I wasn't able to attend, but I'd also like to thank all of those who did!

And also a BIG THANKS to Bruce for spearheading this effort. I've put together a couple of big cleanups in the past, so I know it's a lot of work!

:thumb::thumb:

brewmenn
April 30th, 2009, 06:12 PM
I wasn't able to attend, but I'd also like to thank all of those who did!

And also a BIG THANKS to Bruce for spearheading this effort. I've put together a couple of big cleanups in the past, so I know it's a lot of work!

:thumb::thumb:

Putting it together was easy. All it took was about 3 phone calls.

Getting people to show up to help is the hardest part.:(

T-way
April 30th, 2009, 10:28 PM
I hear ya brother!!

:thumb:

DDS4X4
May 1st, 2009, 07:59 PM
And sometimes just getting there is the hard part, hey Bruce!???

Thanks for hanging in there and getting it done!

brewmenn
May 2nd, 2009, 09:30 AM
And sometimes just getting there is the hard part, hey Bruce!???

Yeah, really.

Trail_Fanatic
May 2nd, 2009, 07:41 PM
Bruce,

In my opinion, you have done a great thing.
Take pride knowing that all of that trash is gone because YOU took the initiative to organize the event. You have earned it well (not to take anything away from all the hard work your volunteers put forward too!). :thumb:

Volunteers seem to come with time.
The first 5 years of the Two Tracker's Clean Up were all less than 20 people (most times around a dozen to 15).
But then it started to take off . . . 35, 50, 75, 125, 250, and this year 175. With a really down economy, I worried this year might be a LOT lower than that, but people really came through.

I think having it on the same weekend of the year, every year, and meeting at the same place has helped quite a bit. Folks try it, like it, and bring friends and it grows.

Unless there's some Land Use meeting that I can't get out of or reschedule, I'm already planning to be at next year's event, if you're willing to hold it again (I hope).

brewmenn
May 4th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Unless there's some Land Use meeting that I can't get out of or reschedule, I'm already planning to be at next year's event, if you're willing to hold it again (I hope).

I talked about it with the Swamp Stompers at our meeting yesterday and they are supportive of it being an annual event. We'll try to set a date for next year when we set our calander for next year.

Ridin Dirty
May 4th, 2009, 08:07 PM
I'll be there again.