PDA

View Full Version : Volunteers Needed on Resource Advisory Committee

Jarhead
March 5th, 2009, 10:02 AM
The U.S Forest Service and Oscoda County are seeking candidate volunteers to serve on a Resource Advisory Committee (RAC), which will determine how some federal funds are spent in Oscoda County.

The committee develops and recommends projects that benefit national forest land in the affected counties, monitors the projects, and provides advice to the Forest Service.

If anyone is interested in saving me a few travel miles, give me a shout and I will give you the information I have.

USMC 0369
March 5th, 2009, 12:03 PM
The U.S Forest Service and Oscoda County are seeking candidate volunteers to serve on a Resource Advisory Committee (RAC), which will determine how some federal funds are spent in Oscoda County.

The committee develops and recommends projects that benefit national forest land in the affected counties, monitors the projects, and provides advice to the Forest Service.

If anyone is interested in saving me a few travel miles, give me a shout and I will give you the information I have.

DAMMIT! With the extensive work I've done with the USFS out west here, I'd LOVE to do this...but :banghead:

oz97tj
March 5th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Bob, I got this same letter yesterday. I was thinking about throwing my name in the hat, but then I see it says the deadline for submissions was Feb 28th or something close to that.

It's nice that we get this paperwork a week late.

Trail_Fanatic
March 5th, 2009, 06:13 PM
DAMMIT! With the extensive work I've done with the USFS out west here, I'd LOVE to do this...but :banghead:

Soon though, right?

Ridin Dirty
March 5th, 2009, 07:09 PM
So is that in fact true? Did the date already pass?

Greenway
March 5th, 2009, 07:48 PM
The letter I got was postmarked 3/2/09 so they must have extended the deadline.

joe_jeep
March 5th, 2009, 08:17 PM
i could be of more help in this area in the summer. when will this begin and what all is involved? i know all the trail groomers up there also. they might be involved too. they do most of the local trail maintenance for the old statehouse trail. times are a little tight for me right now, with the wife out of work. ill see what i can do though. if it dont involve me going up every weekend i can probably swing up a time or 2 b4 the wife kills me.

oz97tj
March 5th, 2009, 08:43 PM
The letter I got was postmarked 3/2/09 so they must have extended the deadline.

On the back of the letter, under where it lists the websites to fill out the applications, it states they have to be submitted by the date listed in Feb. I don't have mine in front of me so I can't remember the exact date though. I think it was the 28th.

Greenway
March 5th, 2009, 11:52 PM
Submit by Feb 23, 2009 but they didn't mail them till March 2, 2009.

USMC 0369
March 6th, 2009, 12:28 AM
Soon though, right?

less than 100 days left.

Jarhead
March 6th, 2009, 08:44 AM
One of our Members has contacted me via a PM and I passed the information along to him. I also told him if was still unsure, let me know and I will call the District ranger for details/particulars.

TWEAK
March 6th, 2009, 09:36 AM
I talked with a person who is helping to form the committee and he said that they won't be starting to look at nominations until after March 16th.

In terms of time commitments, if nominated you would meet quarterly, and would be required to do some research before each meeting. The position is for a four year term and is nominated by the department of agriculture in Washington.

There are a few positions open, but they are trying to get people with experience in the sectors that affect the area (i.e. Timber, minerals, etc). They have a general category and I believe that is where the experience of off-road sports would be from. If someone has the nomination form, it might explain a little better about what categories they are looking for (someone can fit multiple areas).

Greenway
March 6th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Here's the letter I got.

http://www.glfwda.org/photoplog/images/711/1_2009_Oscoda_County_RAC_cover_letter.jpg
http://www.glfwda.org/photoplog/images/711/1_2009_Oscoda_County_RAC_news_release_pg1.jpg
http://www.glfwda.org/photoplog/images/711/1_2009_Oscoda_County_RAC_news_release_pg_2.jpg

TWEAK
March 6th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Here are the catagories that they are looking for:

Organized labor or non-timber forest product harvester groups
Nationally recognized environmental organizations
Hold State elected office or their designee
Developed outdoor recreation, off highway vehicle users, or commercial recreation activities;
Regionally or locally recognized environmental organizations
Hold county or local elected office
Energy and mineral development interests; or commercial or recreational fishing interests
Dispersed recreational activities
American Indian tribes within or adjacent to committee area
Commercial timber industry
Archaeological and historical interests
School officials or teachers
Hold Federal grazing or other land use permits, or represent nonindustrial private forest land owners, within the area for which the committee is organized
Nationally or regionally recognized wild horse and burro interest groups, wildlife or hunting organizations, or watershed associations
Represent the affected public at large.

I can apply for a nomination for the "Off highway vehicle user", but if there is someone who has more experiace accross the fields you may be better qualified to repesend. Although my family is a private forest land owner, we are just outside of oscoda county.

Jarhead
March 6th, 2009, 11:51 AM
The application is available here: http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/hmnf/index.shtml

Click on: Oscoda County Secure Rural Schools Resource Advisory Committee Membership Interest Form

I will be filling out an application.

Jarhead
April 6th, 2009, 02:49 PM
I received a letter, "I am pleased to inform you that the Forest Service is moving forward with selections for Huron-Manistee Resource Advisory Committee. Your name will be forwarded to the Secretary of Agriculture, as a second or third backup in case the first candidate is not selected by the Secretary. You have been selected as a backup for Category B, dispersed recreational activities interest group."

Anyone else get a response?