PDA

View Full Version : I'm looking for a new GPS unit

Brian
September 5th, 2005, 03:00 PM
I have used a Garmin GPS 12 for a few years but now I want to upgrade to something that I can upload maps to. I think I want to stay with Garmin so I can share waypoints and routes with friends.

Some of my questions are

How important is the electric compass and altimeter?

How do I decide how much memory is enough?

My choices so far are the eTrex Vista c, GPSMAP 76cs, GPSMAP 276c or maybe my notebook computer with a GPS antenna.

I think I like the GPSMAP 276c the best because it has a larger screen so I think I could see it easier while driving but it does not have the electric compass and altimeter and I wanted them.

What do you use? What do you like?

Please post all your thoughts, opinions and comments even if you would recommend another brand.

Brian

WhiteRhino
September 6th, 2005, 08:42 AM
Will post back later today with some imput.

lgottler
September 6th, 2005, 11:50 AM
I used to have the GPS 12 for years. I just recently went to a Garmin Legend Color.

This past trip was the first real use of the GPS and I was very happy. I cannot keep a permanent mounted one in my vehicle because I also use the GPS for hiking and hunting etc. So, having a handheld model is a must for me. That also means I don't get the giant screens etc...

But with the dashmount and the GPS I have, I can clearly see all the terrain, especially in color, its very vibrant and extremely easy to see everything, even with the smaller screen. With the color screen and backlight on, I ran for 2 days before the batteries needed to be changed.

I think you have to weigh what you plan on doing with the GPS and how much you can afford! I'd love to have a 6" screen full color, but can't afford that along with a handheld one for hiking! But having a multipurpose unit fit my bill.

As far as maps, I am able to load up a whole region I'm heading towards and have space left for additional maps. I've never run out of room yet.

Good Luck

Lucas

Zookeeper
September 6th, 2005, 01:13 PM
I have the Etrex Vista, havin moved up from an Etrex Legend when that one finally wore out.

The Vista is great in terms of having more memory than the Legend did. You can essentially put all of the regional maps for Michigan in there because of its standard 24 megs of memory.

I like the verstatility of having a handheld unit because it serves me well in the Jeep but I then take it out for hiking, geocaching, etc...plus I like to run without doors and top and I'd be uncomfortable parking with a GPS unit in there all the time.

I didn't go with color because of expense and I think it would use the batteries up faster. I figure I always got along fine with the grey screen.

As for Garmin, as you you know they are a great company when it comes to providing software and firmware updates.

The altimeter is something I've only used as a novelty for now; maybe some day I'll find more use for it.

The electronic compass is nice because it helps you locate your bearings without having to move. You can also run with it off to save batteries, or put it on a delay setting. That way, as long as your moving, the compass stays quiet. If you stop moving for a preset amount of time, the compass turns on and takes over.

I also like the sight 'n go feature of the Vista.

HTH

WhiteRhino
September 6th, 2005, 02:21 PM
I have the Garmin V. It has worked well and comes ready to use as a battery hand held along with a cig lighter attachment and quick clip dash mount. The screen size is fine. It is tough to drive down a bumpy road and see detail so there are times I need to slow down or stop.
Good about it:
Small
Runs with batteries
waterproof (most good ones are)
Comes with cig lighter and dash mount
Comes with major hwy's already loaded
Can upload maps

Bad about it:
-Only gray scale. Very hard to distinguish between topo lines, rivers and roads. Color would be great!
-Only stores 10 tracks at a time. Sounds like alot but look at it this way: I loaded 6 different tracks prior to this weekend to have reference while exploring. This left alot of vague areas. 3 days on the trails used up all but one space. I wish I had more.
-Uses a serial port. Most new laptops only have USB. So, I use a PCMCI card which is a pain. I tried a USB to serial adaptor & it would crash because it couldn't communicate fast enough.
-Only has 18 meg space for maps. Good for local areas like northern MI or GG but not enough for detailed info if traveling across the country.

My buddy just bought the Garmin QuestII. It has the entire United States loaded in detail and 200 meg additional for topo maps. It also has alot more track space. It is also color & has a quick release windshiely suction cup. Works great! I have not tried to load topo maps to check them out. It is also a battery hand held with cig plug. For the research he did, this was the biggest bang for the buck.

Finally, since most of us already have Garmins and they support the topo well, it would be nice to stay with the same brand to swap info.

Jim

WhiteRhino
September 8th, 2005, 01:17 PM
I have to retract the above recommendation. We tried to upload and download to the Garmin Quest II last night.
Turns out that it does not have the ability to save tracks. Only the current track so that you can return the way you came. Not good! My buddy is PO'd.

So, you should look at other options.

Brian
September 8th, 2005, 03:27 PM
Cool thanks everyone for all the input :)

Jim when you say that the Quest II does not have the ability to save tracks and I should get a unit that does. what would Garmin call that as a feature? I am looking at the specifications of the models and I don't know what that would be called.

Thanks,
Brian

Looks like I like the GPSMAP 76cs the best so far. Anyone know of a good place to buy or stay away from?

WhiteRhino
September 9th, 2005, 08:49 AM
Sent you an email.

Roadhouse
September 9th, 2005, 11:05 PM
I have a question. I also have been using a Garmen 12 for about 6years and I need to upgrade. Why do these GPS' only come with 18-24meg of memory. Ipods and other mini music players come with like 2-8 gigs.

Brian
September 10th, 2005, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by WhiteRhino@Sep 9 2005, 07:49 AM
Sent you an email.
<div align="right">5818
[/quote]

Got it thanks :)

Brian
September 10th, 2005, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Roadhouse66@Sep 9 2005, 10:05 PM
I have a question. I also have been using a Garmen 12 for about 6years and I need to upgrade. Why do these GPS&#39; only come with 18-24meg of memory. Ipods and other mini music players come with like 2-8 gigs.
<div align="right">5828
[/quote]

The memory seems to be only for uploading maps. I guess they figure that&#39;s all you need. If you spend more money and buy one that accepts cards it with go up to 256 meg of memory, maybe more.

If your GPS 12 is still working and you don&#39;t need the ability to upload maps or share routes and waypoints just keep using the one you have. I am keeping my GPS 12 for a spare.

Roadhouse
September 10th, 2005, 12:18 PM
Brian I like my GPS12, its simple costs me nothing, and runs along time on batteries. The only reason for upgrading is to get maps....wife and I travel around alot of MI and I"m tired of pulling out the Gazetteer....I just want to look at my GPS and see where I am, and where I want to go.

lgottler
September 10th, 2005, 12:43 PM
Believe it or not, I get more battery life out of the GPS Legend Color with the backlight on using 2 AA batteries than I did with the older GPS 12 using 4 AA batteries. I ran 2 days in a row with the GPS on, I typically on got about a day or 1 1/2 days from the 12.

After you go with a map, you won&#39;t go back&#33;

But you can use the GPS12 with a laptop to get a cheap GPS reviever that hooks up to Garmin software for realtime mapping in color with a giant screen&#33;

Lucas

FrenchRover
September 12th, 2005, 03:59 AM
Originally posted by lgottler@Sep 10 2005, 11:43 AM
Believe it or not, I get more battery life out of the GPS Legend Color with the backlight on using 2 AA batteries than I did with the older GPS 12 using 4 AA batteries. I ran 2 days in a row with the GPS on, I typically on got about a day or 1 1/2 days from the 12.

After you go with a map, you won&#39;t go back&#33;

But you can use the GPS12 with a laptop to get a cheap GPS reviever that hooks up to Garmin software for realtime mapping in color with a giant screen&#33;

Lucas
<div align="right">5833
[/quote]

FrenchRover
September 12th, 2005, 04:01 AM
Hi everyone,

I&#39;m also thin king to buy a Garmin 276c as it seems to be very useful and you can use it on sea, off-road and street...

Do you know some web links or address to find one ?
Maybe, it will be cheaper in the States than in France..... &#33;&#33;

Ciao..

WhiteRhino
September 12th, 2005, 08:38 AM
Try 4x4books.com

Originally posted by FrenchRover@Sep 12 2005, 03:01 AM
Hi everyone,

I&#39;m also thin king to buy a Garmin 276c as it seems to be very useful and you can use it on sea, off-road and street...

Do you know some web links or address to find one ?
Maybe, it will be cheaper in the States than in France..... &#33;&#33;

Ciao..
<div align="right">5860
[/quote]

DDS4X4
September 15th, 2005, 10:29 PM
FYI From the IFWDA email group.

Sale Price: &#036;100.00
Garmin GPS III+ is an excellent Global Positioning System. This unit comes
with the GPS and all accessories I have purchased: Manual, dash mount
(Velcro), bicycle mount, AC adapter for vehicle, serial port computer cable.

I am only selling because I have upgraded to a new (&#036;350.00) unit.

For more information, please see the Garmin web site at:
http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsIIIp/

If interested, contact Jason at rjsettles@yahoo.com or respond to this
email.

Brian
September 19th, 2005, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by DDS4X4@Sep 15 2005, 09:29 PM
FYI From the IFWDA email group.

Sale Price: &#036;100.00
Garmin GPS III+ is an excellent Global Positioning System. This unit comes
with the GPS and all accessories I have purchased: Manual, dash mount
(Velcro), bicycle mount, AC adapter for vehicle, serial port computer cable.

I am only selling because I have upgraded to a new (&#036;350.00) unit.

For more information, please see the Garmin web site at:
http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsIIIp/

If interested, contact Jason at rjsettles@yahoo.com or respond to this
email.
<div align="right">5937
[/quote]

Thanks for passing this info onto me it sounds like a good deal. I already picked one up about a week ago. I bought some maps for it and now I am testing it out :)

Thanks,
Brian