PDA

View Full Version : Two Trackers Four Wheel Drive Club 11th Annual Trail Clean-Up

Jarhead
February 13th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association is joining forces with the Two Trackers Four Wheel Drive Club and others in the 11th Annual Trail Clean-Up of the Manistee National Forest spanning Blue Lake, Holton, and Cedar Creek Townships in Northern Muskegon County.

Date: Saturday, April 18th, 2008

Time: Registration from 8:00 AM-9:00 AM
Dumpsters are usually full by 4:00 PM

(CarGo Gas Station)

Bring: A vehicle capable of traveling the two tracks of the Manistee National Forest AND transporting refuse to a drop location (Pick up trucks or Jeeps/SUV's with a utility trailer in tow for the trash). Hard Tined Rakes, Shovels, Leather Work Gloves, and Rain Gear.

BlueJay
February 13th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Can i assume that this is the weekend of our quarterly meeting? If so then I'll be there. I can't haul much refuse in a TJ and 3.5 hours one way is a long way to tow a five' by ten' trailer. Any suggestions.....I haven't attended the clean-up before.

oz97tj
February 13th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Yes, same weekend. Ive gone and haven't taken a trailer before too. Just bring some work gloves and trash bags and be ready to help. There is always a handful of trailers for the big stuff.

joe_jeep
February 13th, 2009, 11:25 PM
how big a trailer can i fit behind my superduty down those trails. my jeep most likely wont be ready for the dunes. i usually can borrow a few pretty big trailers. is 20ft long too big? i have pulled over 20k b4 but only over smooth terrain. any thoughts?

Trail_Fanatic
February 14th, 2009, 02:19 PM
These are a wide variety of trail widths.

We have increased our adoption area to over 36,000 acres this year and are working to get Oceana County Road Commission to begin an Adopt-A-Road program like the one that the Muskegon CRC operates.

If you have a pick up, just bring it without the trailer. Easier to turn it around on dead end trails.

Jeeps with small utility trailers work well too. Like you would use for hauling snowmobiles or a riding lawn mower.

Much bigger than that and it starts to get difficult to get turned around.

Most trash dumpers seem to prefer to dump out of sight.
For us, that usually means the dead ends are worse than the through trails (which can be pretty bad).

As soon as the Two Trackers get a few more details nailed down we'll get the flyer posted up.

*** ALSO, look for a MUCH easier and faster registration process this year too! ***

We were expecting around 100-150 volunteers last year and imagine our joyous surprise to have 250-300! We've ironed out a few things to accommodate the larger number of people.

Jarhead
February 16th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Hey Oz good to see you are bringing your girlfriend so some work will get done :poke:

oz97tj
February 16th, 2009, 03:48 PM
It'll give me the opportunity to do some PR! lol

Jarhead
February 16th, 2009, 04:06 PM
"USMC 0369 (http://www.glfwda.org/member.php?u=708) [Remove (http://www.glfwda.org/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=112&rsvp_remove=708&day=2009-04-18)] - =( But at least I'll be representing GLFWDA out west here in the SBNF!"
Way to go Jarhead, Semper Fi

sportsnut44
February 16th, 2009, 08:05 PM
These are a wide variety of trail widths.

We have increased our adoption area to over 36,000 acres this year and are working to get Oceana County Road Commission to begin an Adopt-A-Road program like the one that the Muskegon CRC operates.

If you have a pick up, just bring it without the trailer. Easier to turn it around on dead end trails.

Jeeps with small utility trailers work well too. Like you would use for hauling snowmobiles or a riding lawn mower.

Much bigger than that and it starts to get difficult to get turned around.

Most trash dumpers seem to prefer to dump out of sight.
For us, that usually means the dead ends are worse than the through trails (which can be pretty bad).

As soon as the Two Trackers get a few more details nailed down we'll get the flyer posted up.

*** ALSO, look for a MUCH easier and faster registration process this year too! ***

We were expecting around 100-150 volunteers last year and imagine our joyous surprise to have 250-300! We've ironed out a few things to accommodate the larger number of people.

you have a pm

Shaguardriver
February 17th, 2009, 09:16 PM
Do not worry if you can not bring a trailer, sure it helps but you can tag along with someone else that has a truck or trailer. Plus many of the items you will load are better moved with 2 people. See you there :thumb:

MiNi Beast
February 23rd, 2009, 03:33 AM
Got it wrote down on the Monthly tracker already. Bringing a trailer, the girl, and if the child labor laws allow it going to bring the kid, to "teach her some values".:muttley:

phazer42
February 23rd, 2009, 08:55 PM
I hope to be able to make it!!

Thus far its a green light!

sportsnut44
March 12th, 2009, 10:55 PM
booked my room today :woot:

Mozman68
March 13th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Woops...sorry for the extra post. Guess it doesn't hurt.

All the info on this clean-up as well as statistics from past clean-ups is on our website at www.twotrackers.org

Jarhead
March 13th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Woops...sorry for the extra post. Guess it doesn't hurt.

All the info on this clean-up as well as statistics from past clean-ups is on our website at www.twotrackers.org

Mark, it is all GOOD! I would rather have duplicity than not have the posts at all.

Oh by the way, great minds think alike! :thumb:

sportsnut44
March 13th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Mark, it is all GOOD! I would rather have duplicity than not have the posts at all.

Oh by the way, great minds think alike! :thumb:

i started a thread on cheapthrills board last night.

there are a few already commited to going.

Trail_Fanatic
March 13th, 2009, 10:25 PM
i started a thread on cheapthrills board last night.

there are a few already commited to going.

Awesome!
It'll be nice to see you guys again. :thumb:

Greenway
March 13th, 2009, 11:40 PM
I'll be dragging a 5x8 utility trailer this year too.

Trail_Fanatic
March 26th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Here's the flyer for this year's event:

n8big
April 1st, 2009, 01:12 PM
I will be there again this year selling T-shirts and helping with communications

Trail_Fanatic
April 8th, 2009, 05:58 PM
*** NEW EMAIL ADDRESS ***

We have been experiencing "technical difficulties" with the email address listed on the announcement.

PLEASE substitute the following address:

TwoTrackersForestCleanUp2009@Hotmail.com

Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused!

Trail_Fanatic
April 19th, 2009, 03:48 PM
You people ROCK!

Every year I'm AMAZED at your generosity and dedication to the trails and the event.

I can't thank you enough for coming out!

YOU are the TRUE environmentalists!

Preliminary totals look like 150 yards of trash and 525 tires this year.

I have to figure the shingle amount yet.

That brings us to 900 cubic yards and 3,450 tires total for the event's run!

That's AWESOME!

Registrations were down roughly 17%, but with the economy in the crapper, that's a lot less loss than I thought we might see. I was worried we might see as much as a 50% reduction.

But no, you care too much to let that happen.

To be honest; I find it touching.

This year, I would have NEVER imagined that 90 cubic yards of dumpster space wouldn't hold the trash from ONE teany, tiny, short, little, lousy piece of road!

I have to laugh at myself for being a poor judge of space, I guess . . .

I thought 3, 30 yard dumpsters would be enough for both the nasty road and the dead end counterpart (on the south side of that same little lake) to be completely cleaned.

BOY! Was I wrong!

I can DEFINITELY tell you were there, but there's still so much more to be done!

There was a little dead end trail not far from the Area 10 Dumpsters that I have NEVER been down because the trash pile blocking it predates my having a driver's license. It's now open, so I went down it . . .

Right to another area FILLED with crap!

The amount of trash out there is absolutely U-N-B-E-L-I-E-V-A-B-L-E-!!!

BUT!!!

IT IS WORKING!

The volunteers in Area 4 spent 2-1/2 hours driving every trail in their area - and didn't even find so much as an empty cigarette wrapper! That place was just as trashed as many of the roads in Area 10 (well maybe not quite THAT bad).

Now? NOTHING BUT FOREST!

SO, I guess that brings us to the question . . .

Do we want to keep at it and go out again next year?

oz97tj
April 19th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Do we want to keep at it and go out again next year?

Yup!