PDA

View Full Version : Drummond Island ORV Route Proposal

Jarhead
November 9th, 2008, 11:19 AM
The Drummond Island Trails Work Group has completed its primary mission in completing a Draft Proposal for submission to the executive level of the Michigan DNR in Lansing.

The Draft Proposal is designed to designate the ORV Routes on Drummond Island. I would like to Thank Everyone who had a part in this argueist process. I know several people who traveled many, many miles as these meetings have taken place over the past few years. The sacrifice in monies and time spent should not go unappreciated.

It is to early to give details of the draft proposal because we cannot be 100% certain the executive level will adopt the proposal without change. Once we know whether it was adopted in whole or we are forced to return to the table we will keep all of you informed the best we can.

Thank You for your patience and to all those involved.

WhiteRhino
November 9th, 2008, 12:48 PM
A little birdy told me the agreement is pretty durn good! Thanks to all.

lgottler
November 9th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Can we see the draft proposal?

Jarhead
November 10th, 2008, 06:51 AM
Can we see the draft proposal?
In that it is a Draft Proposal, we are not at liberty to divulge the details. The Executive Level must buy off on the Draft, once this is accomplished we than move the Draft to the Formal Submission. All indications are that we will have everything needed prior to the snow melting next spring.

To divulge any of of the draft details would violate the confidentiality agreement we had from the beginning. If the Draft is adopted 100% as written, please rest assured for now the OHV community will be very pleased.

lgottler
November 10th, 2008, 04:41 PM
I think I understand: A group submits a Draft Proposal.. If the Draft is acceptable by the all wise leaders in Lansing, then you can make a Formal Submission which becomes public....? So when the Formal Submission happens, we can see what roads/trails/etc... the Drummond Island Trails Work Group is asking to be designated as an ORV Route.

?

WhiteRhino
November 10th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Lucas,
Let me take a shot at it for you. "WE" as in GLFWDA have already seen it, in fact are members of the group who formulated it. Several meetings were held with more than one of our members. They met with the DNR, snowmobilers, conservatory, biologists, etc and formulated a plan that seems agreeable to everyone.

Now, once the plan is formulated, it doesn't come into effect. It first has to be approved by some mucky mucks in Lansing.

So, "we" have seen it and like it. But, apparently there is a bit of a gag order on it.

How'd I do Bob?

Walker
November 10th, 2008, 09:13 PM
For whats its worth, I'll reply for Bob,,till he replies for himself.

Basicly... thats a fair statement. Its been a long process, with an open exchange of opinion.. some, at times, quite frank.

However, I wouldn't call it a "Gag Order" as such, (the reason we've down played the process) .. I would prefer to call it a "good faith arrangement" between all stakeholders.

Trail_Fanatic
November 10th, 2008, 11:02 PM
:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Close enough for horseshoes and hand grenades.

:thumb:

Jarhead
November 11th, 2008, 07:00 AM
All things considered, yeah.

Rest assured that Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association has been a key stakeholder in and through this entire process and if the Draft Proposal were not acceptable to the full size community of which we represent, we would still be engaged in meetings.

The Draft has great potential; but far be it from me to know what if anything the executive level may find insufficient or overlooked necessitating further change.

Importantly also I might add, is there is a great deal more at stake then just the designation of ORV Routes on Drummond Island. The Draft has potential for a wide variety of users to enjoy what Drummond Island has to offer; those of us that represented Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association focused our energies on the full size user.

lgottler
November 12th, 2008, 09:59 PM
Lucas,
Let me take a shot at it for you. "WE" as in GLFWDA have already seen it, in fact are members of the group who formulated it.

So, "we" have seen it and like it. But, apparently there is a bit of a gag order on it.

So, can the membership see it because we are "WE" and if "WE" got to see it can't we see it too? we=WE therefore WE=we?

I just feel the membership has a right to see what the GLFWDA members of the group Drummond Island Trails Work Group decided to submit on the behalf of all the membership. Even in a very early edition.

?

oz97tj
November 12th, 2008, 10:42 PM
So, can the membership see it because we are "WE" and if "WE" got to see it can't we see it too? we=WE therefore WE=we?

I just feel the membership has a right to see what the GLFWDA members of the group Drummond Island Trails Work Group decided to submit on the behalf of all the membership. Even in a very early edition.

?

No. Wait for the approval.

Jarhead
November 13th, 2008, 06:38 AM

?
Miscommunication is at the root of many misconceptions or rumors. Both misconceptions and rumors have hindered and almost destroyed this Association throughout its history which is demonstrated in the various clubs and individuals that have great angst toward Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association.

The bottom line is, we (those of us involved) did the very best we could. That being said, if the end result is less than that deserving of this great Associations Membership I will gladly stand aside and allow someone with better foresight and leadership take the reins of President.

I don’t profess to have all the answers and will need a great deal of help from the Membership to be successful. At the point I fail to do what is in the best interest of the Membership, I trust someone will have the courage to tell me step aside.

DDS4X4
November 13th, 2008, 08:05 AM
Hang in there,Bob ... WE stand beside you or is it behind you ??? I have wheeled behind you and like what I see ... you and that H2 in action!!

WhiteRhino
November 13th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Lucas,
I think you are overly anxious. We voted people into positions and appointed committee chairs with the trust and assumption that they would act in our best interest. To my knowledge, there are 4 or 5 different members from this site who have been attending these meetings on our behalf. They have settled on a plan with the DNR that they feel represents us well. In fact, as I understand it, this is the very first set of trails designated as ORV routes that will actually challenge a full size user! They also have an agreement to not disclose details until it has been reviewed by the state.

So I say, trust our guys and have faith that they have done us right.:thumb:

And Bob............................ you're not going ANYWHERE!:yourock:

T-way
November 13th, 2008, 11:50 AM
I can understand the desire to know what is going on. But, as an employee of the State, working for a Department that enforces State law, I deal with policies and drafts all the time. And I know that, if a new policy or proposal is drawn up, and it's in the draft stage, it will be marked "DRAFT" on all copies. Those copies may only be distributed to individuals with a direct involvement in the issue at hand.

So...there is no conspiracy to hide information here. It is simply in a draft policy stage, and until it's accepted or declined, those of us who were not part of the process have to be patient.

Thanks to all who have been working so hard on this issue!!

:thumb::thumb: