PDA

View Full Version : question about trail help

mudman
November 2nd, 2008, 07:10 PM
me and some of my friends are looking into doing some trail work in lower michigan, how do we go about getting started with the state and such? or if it even possible. it is on 4k acres of state land. any info would be a great help!

Jarhead
November 3rd, 2008, 07:52 AM
Do you know if the areas/items in question are on the web site: http://www.cleanforests.org/ (http://www.cleanforests.org/)

This would be your contact person at the State level:
Ada M. Takacs, Department Analyst
Michigan Dept of Natural Resources
Forest, Mineral and Fire Mgt Division
8717 North Roscommon Road
Roscommon, Michigan 48653
989.275.5151, Ext 2049 voice
989.275.5167 Fax

Trail_Fanatic
November 3rd, 2008, 02:21 PM
The first thing to do is find out who has jurisdiction for the rustic roads you would like to work on. Some may be County, although most would probably be State. What kind of work you want to do will also have a LOT to do with who needs to be contacted and your likelihood of approval.

If you want to post more information, we can probably help with more advice or a contact.

Great to see your interest in Michigan's back country roads.

:thumb:

mudman
November 5th, 2008, 08:39 PM
it is in the lower section of lapeer county. It used to be a main dirt road til the farmers did not use it anymore, then it just came to a two track.

kb8ymf
November 6th, 2008, 08:36 AM
it is in the lower section of lapeer county. It used to be a main dirt road til the farmers did not use it anymore, then it just came to a two track.

I live in Lapeer Co. Gary. Let me know what road you're talking about.
jim-kb8ymf

joe_jeep
November 6th, 2008, 05:27 PM
is there a legal two track left in lapeer?? i would have thought most were closed. i have hunted up there a few times and never noticed any 2 tracks.

Ridgerunner
November 7th, 2008, 07:23 AM
The only thing close to a 2 track would be some seasonal roads within the lapeer state game area.

joe_jeep
November 7th, 2008, 03:31 PM
there used to be some nice trails in the game area. they are all off limits as far as i know. there was a small lake in there right off the trail. had some great bluegill fishing. its a little far to walk with a tackle box though.