PDA

View Full Version : Navigation Rally.

offroadracer99
August 2nd, 2005, 10:24 PM
I had an idea for an event to be held be my club ( not a club in the old fashion sense since there is no elections, but there is only like five of us anyway) the Xtreme Wheelers. We are thinking of holding an Navigation Rally. I just want to see who would be interested in coming to an event like this if we were to hold one.

I have lots of phone calls to make to see if I can do it, but I was thinking of holding it within Montmorency County around and within the Atlanta Trail system. Now I know some of you might be thinking this is a bad idea already, but remember that it is a Navigation Rally, so its about finding the check points with basically a set of coordinates and a map and/or GPS unit. All rules of the trail and rules of the road must followed and so on, lots of rules to make up and there should be no speeding or recklessness. Its about using your head and your navigational skills, not speed, but the best time wins.

I have lots to figure out and things to think about for it, so before you run me down about how I can control the speed thing ( I will have it all figured out and I already have a good start in my head, soon to be on paper) or tell me I am a bad influence for wheeling. This is all about navigation! Not driving like a ?bad word?. Everyone knows Atlanta is an easy, easy trail, and the road surrounding them are not real rough, but the event would be open to all trucks and SUVs that are four wheel drive, teams of two, driver and navigator. (GPS unit highly suggested)

Just think Navigation and Brain Power if you would be interested in doing such an event. Or let me know if you would not be interested in such an event. I want to know if this is something people would be interested in doing or not. I need feed back to determine if I will even have such an event.

Thanks!

Roadhouse
August 2nd, 2005, 10:52 PM
Nick sounds like it could be a fun time. Everyone campout for the weekend, do the event on a Sat. and have a big pot luck dinner/cookout for dinner that night.

Keep us posted.

MuddyPaws
August 3rd, 2005, 02:56 AM
We did something like this...there were basicly check points that you had to find and then pick up a card. It was a poker run type thing but it was mostly a navigation thing. It was in Evart Michigan. We controlled speed with time...there were prizes at stake and the closest to a set time won. Too fast, yer out. If you need help with this, PM me. We had a great time...a few people got lost...then were found by others and they followed each other in...had an award for best sportsmanship and all that.

Vader5
August 3rd, 2005, 10:12 AM
I don't own a GPS, but would be willing to drive. I live a half hour away from Atlanta so my co-driver/navigator could be someone who owns a gps, but doesn't want to drive their trail rig up from downstate

Zookeeper
August 3rd, 2005, 02:44 PM
I'm interested. I think the idea of controlling speed with "too late/too soon" timing is a great idea.

offroadracer99
August 3rd, 2005, 08:53 PM
I am glad to see some very positive feedback! :D Keep them flowing in.

Nvrenuf
August 3rd, 2005, 10:04 PM
Sounds fun we would try it.

Brian
August 4th, 2005, 05:46 AM
Sounds good to me :)

offroadracer99
August 6th, 2005, 07:05 PM
I have been working on the packet which will include all rules and other information. I have yet to contact the DNR or others of that nature, but I will get my rules and things in line first before discussing the event with the DNR and others as necessary. :D

WhiteRhino
August 8th, 2005, 08:24 AM
would be interested.