PDA

View Full Version : Any Progress with Drummond Island??

T-way
October 7th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Just wondering.....I know that GLFWDA has been involved with the DNR and getting the trails on Drummond Island signed properly so that we can all stay on the legal side of things when we visit there.

Has there been any progress? Any updates on what's going on? My club members would like to take a ride out there before the snow flies, and we don't want to cause any problems or have any problems!

Thanks for any info that anyone can provide!!

DDS4X4
October 7th, 2008, 10:00 PM
It was discussed at the Quarterly.
Final route designation expected in 2009??
I'll let someone who can comment on your question, provide a better response.
Take care T-Way!

Greenway
October 7th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Contact Steve Walker at the Bear Track Inn for up to date info.
(906) 493-5090

Jarhead
October 8th, 2008, 08:45 PM
We anticipate the formal signing of the re-designation of the ORV Trails to ORV Routes to take place Spring 2009. As soon as we have a definitive date, it will be posted as we hope to have as many wheelers in attendance we can muster.

T-way
October 8th, 2008, 11:08 PM
Cool....good info! But does anyone know if we can legally travel the existing trails up there without any problems? We'd like to make a trip there this fall if possible.

I can call Steve if that's the best way to find out!

Jarhead
October 9th, 2008, 10:08 AM
I am aware of a couple of ATV's that have been sited and fined for being off the trail, but I haven't heard of any full-size that has been hassled. I can't count the number of meetings that have taken place at the Bear Track, it is always the one place to go to find out what is happening.

Mr-S
October 26th, 2008, 01:16 PM
FWIW....we have made 5 trips to Drummond this year with no issues with the DNR. We ran into them 2 times this year, one time just a wave and the other a friendly reminder to not drive in the water off shale beach.

We were no where near the water...I mean the rigs weren't, when the DNR pulled up on quads. It was just a reminder. It was foggy and sorta rainy and they asked how the view in the weather was off marblehead. We said we had not been there yet but it was our next stop.

They did not say the steps were closed. They said have fun and stay safe and on the trails.

I am planing on being at the meeting this week.

T-way
October 26th, 2008, 03:43 PM
I talked to Walker the other day, and he said we were good to go as long as we stayed on the trails that we have historically traveled, including the Marblehead steps.

Unfortunately, I was the only member of our club who didn't have some sort of issue to keep me from making the trip, so we ended up not going! But it's nice to know that we could've gone without any problems if we chose to!!

:thumb:

I appreciate all of the work that those who have been involved with this issue have done on behalf of all of us!!

:yourock:

Trail_Fanatic
October 26th, 2008, 04:09 PM
GLFWDA has made several trips to the Island to work on this issue.
There are still one or two hurdles to overcome before announcements can be made with surety but we ARE getting right down to the nitty-gritty end of the process.

There will be a few areas that require stabilization to prevent deterioration over time, and a couple that will require a more permanent solution to presently evolving damage, but the bigger obstacles are looking very good for final approval at this point. Most importantly, the Island's rugged, rocky, back country, 4x4 driving 'experience' will be preserved. We just have to be sure that it is preserved in a manner that won't bankrupt maintenance funding nor "maintain" the system out of the need for 4x4 use.

It's a tricky and fine line to try to get put on paper.

timbercruiser
October 27th, 2008, 12:29 PM
GLFWDA has made several trips to the Island to work on this issue.
There are still one or two hurdles to overcome before announcements can be made with surety but we ARE getting right down to the nitty-gritty end of the process.

There will be a few areas that require stabilization to prevent deterioration over time, and a couple that will require a more permanent solution to presently evolving damage, but the bigger obstacles are looking very good for final approval at this point. Most importantly, the Island's rugged, rocky, back country, 4x4 driving 'experience' will be preserved. We just have to be sure that it is preserved in a manner that won't bankrupt maintenance funding nor "maintain" the system out of the need for 4x4 use.

It's a tricky and fine line to try to get put on paper.

This is good to hear. I know I would be willing to put in my share of "sweat equity" to maintaining the trails.