PDA

View Full Version : Trial Closure Due to Rednecks.

Vader5
July 27th, 2005, 01:12 PM
A portion of a local trail near my house was closed down last week. It's just a short section, but it had some fun areas on it. The trail was closed due to some local redneck boggers testing their race rigs out in a wetlands area above a beaver pond. There were other places they could get their rigs dirty without tearing up the wetlands. It's the few idiots like this that ruin it for us all. I could have told the DNR who was doing it. And it would have been really easy to catch them had they even tried. But they just hauled in a bunch of stumps and blocked off the whole area for any motorized traffic. This piece of land was private property at one time that was traded to the state for another tract. It even had a little man made motor cross track on it from it's private days.

This is why GL must survive. To fight closures and to give people who don't wheel another example of what the off road culture is about. Otherwise these Rednecks will ruin it for all of us.

White Rhino, Dice and T-way have been to the area that was closed with me before. It was a fun spot to test articulation and practice spotting skills. Now it's gone.

Creative Fab
July 27th, 2005, 01:36 PM
Paul, thanks for posting for one! You should still let them know who you think it was, this way it shows us organized fourwheel recreationalists are willing to help preserve our land and are all for punnishing those who do not.

Let me know if there is anything I can do from here.

As a side note the State can only legally close an exsisiting road through a compartment review with notice given to the public of the review and what will be discussed at said review.

Sometimes when they put stumps or a burm to close a forest road or two track it was not done through the proper channels, thus the road or two track can still be traversed by a 2 wheel drive car. The hard part is now proving that your 2 wheel drive car can get over the man made obstacle. If it cannot and your found attempting it I sure some overzealous CO would be more than happy to write you a citation. Which might not hold up in court due to the proper channels not be followed in the closing of an exsisiting travel corridor.

If you have the time Paul, maybe you could ask around and see if the proper channels were followed?

Pat

MuddyPaws
July 28th, 2005, 03:54 AM
How do they notify the public about a review for a closure? Wondering because there is talk up here about closing the clay pits on Drummond. They just went out and put bolders on the sides so you can not bypass the hard parts...but there is still talk about closing it altogether.

Creative Fab
July 28th, 2005, 08:58 AM
They are required by law to publish the compartment reviews in a local news paper. So you have to keep an eye on the local paper or call your local DNR district office and ask what their schedule is for there compartment reviews.

Pat Halifrisch is the guy you want to talk to about Drummond, I believe he is out of the Mackinaw office.

MuddyPaws
July 28th, 2005, 12:38 PM
I think Pat is out of the Soo office now...i'm perdy sure that's who I talked to. He said he had pre-run one of the DOA events (to approve it) with someone from GL. Had good things to say about the GL people.

Vader5
July 28th, 2005, 05:02 PM
I'll definately be reporting the people who did this. The main trailthrough this area (there were several) was definately passable by a two wheel drive car. I'll check back issue of my local paper about the "Review" and ask the DNR officer I'll talk to to check into it.

Thanks for the advice. I know several of our local officers, and I'm sure a few of them who hunt in that area wern't to thrilled about the closure either.

I may also write an editorial in the local paper about this issue. There are rumors another road in my area will be closed down soon. It's actually a county seasonal road, which I've been told can only be closed if determined "Abandoned" by the county and/or unused.