PDA

View Full Version : ORV study

MiniJ
July 29th, 2008, 10:22 AM
FYI:

O.R.V. USE: The Department of Natural Resources has contracted with Michigan State University to update its information on off-road vehicle and snowmobile use in the state.

The $150,541, two-year contract will allow the department to see changes in both equipment and use patterns, said spokesperson Mary Dettloff.

The last full survey was done in 1996-97, she said.

The contract is awaiting State Administrative Board approval.

Trail_Fanatic
July 29th, 2008, 11:35 AM
I'd like more information, if you have any available.
Dr. Nelson again, I assume?

Sounds like a once in a decade opportunity to stand up and be counted that we can't afford to miss.

THANKS for the heads up! :thumb:

MiniJ
July 29th, 2008, 01:06 PM
That's all the information I have, I copied it from one the the insider news publications we get here in Lansing. I'll dig around and see if I can come up with anything more to add.

MiniJ
July 29th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Ok, here's some more info. It came from a DNR press release sent to the local media, who were nice enough to provide me with the following details:

Mary Dettloff (335-3014) was the contact person. The contract for the study is on the agenda for the next Administrative Board meeting. The study is looking at the economic effects of ORVs in the state. It is being overseen by the Forest, Mineral and Fire Management Division.

Hope that helps Pat, looks like something we should check into and see how we can be involved!!

joe_jeep
July 29th, 2008, 05:36 PM
good job as usual minij! we miss ya! tell ari hello from all of us.:wave:

Trail_Fanatic
July 29th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Mary Dettloff (335-3014) was the contact person.

Hope that helps Pat, looks like something we should check into and see how we can be involved!!

I'll give her a call.
I agree. This looks like our opportunity to show the Department how much we contribute to the tourism economy of our State.

signman
July 30th, 2008, 03:45 PM
I tried to copy and paste the agenda for the next ORV meeting, but it wouldn,t let me do it, the study is under Staff Reports. More $ to Dr Nelson :confused:

kb8ymf
July 30th, 2008, 05:54 PM
I tried to copy and paste the agenda for the next ORV meeting, but it wouldn,t let me do it, the study is under Staff Reports. More $ to Dr Nelson :confused:

I hope the report show the trend that it did last time that ORV were overtaking Snowmachines and teh state woefully lack opportunities for full size recreation and the Rock Crawl @ St. Helen is 10 years overdue!
We need to somehow submit info for Nelson to get them to understand the economic impact of our recreation. It's ALWAYS biased as they have previously pre-selected the group to do the survey with and it's been the motorcycle org in the past.
jim-kb8ymf

phittie1100
July 30th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Unfortunately our data collection through the Tailgate report is pretty thin. We can give them what we have, but need to find a way to gather more data to make it more meaningful.