PDA

View Full Version : UFWDA new Treasurer



DDS4X4
July 14th, 2008, 09:09 PM
CONGRATULATIONS Paul Hittie!

I read you are the incoming Treasurer for United.

THANKS for filling an important role!

phittie1100
July 14th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Yup - I was appointed to serve the remainder of Trish Groom's term. We also successfully re-elected Wayne Groom as President, Pete Vahry as Int'l VP and a guy from VA to the post of Membership Secretary, which has been vacant through this really challenging year for UFWDA.

Jarhead
July 15th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Congratulations Paul and Thank You!

WhiteRhino
July 15th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Well, to be honest, I have mixed feelings about this. First, I congratulate Paul for stepping up to the national level. I have all the confidence in the world that you have the knowledge and professionalism to do a good job for UFWDA.:thumb:

On the flip side, the activity level within our own organization is extremely low. I see virtually nothing being posted about ANYTHING on this site. I have not seen any posts by any EBOD member promoting anything or telling us what is going on....... if anything. It scares me that one of our most professional people, and a EBOD member to boot is now going to have his time cut dramatically for what he can provide to GLFWDA. So, we are robbing Paul to pay Peter. Scares me to tell the truth.

Jarhead
July 15th, 2008, 01:05 PM
...On the flip side, the activity level within our own organization is extremely low. I see virtually nothing being posted about ANYTHING on this site. I have not seen any posts by any EBOD member promoting anything or telling us what is going on....... if anything. It scares me that one of our most professional people, and a EBOD member to boot is now going to have his time cut dramatically for what he can provide to GLFWDA. So, we are robbing Paul to pay Peter. Scares me to tell the truth.
I post very little on the web site due to time spent in letter writing, e-mails, phone calls and meetings (here-and-there). The difficulty in managing the time available is but extreme. This weekend as I travel to the West Side of the State to participate in the Two-Trackers Annual BBQ will be the third chance this year I have had time to get a little mud on my tires because of "what is going on" (As I travel west with a few of the kids, my wife will head north with a few of the kids to (my) family reunion, joining my Mom, our Kids and Grandchildren; plus many other family members.) My wife's understanding of my need to get a little mud on my tires is why we will travel in separate directions this weekend.

As for Paul, he has indicated his desire to have someone else step up to the position of GLFWDA Treasurer for about a year now. His responsibility to UFWDA is dwarfed by his commitment to GLFWDA and the State through his involvement in the DNR's future financial planning. Paul's level of involvement with the State is well complemented with his newly assumed position at the National Level. We as an Association are very, very fortunate to have someone like Paul aboard.

As for "what is going on":



GLFWDA - Land Use Committee Report



Below is an update of the status for issues addressed by the LUC as of April 20, 2008.



FEDERAL LAND USE (NFS)
Huron-Manistee 2006 Forest Plan Appeal
We continue to gather the necessary information to properly support, document, and fund our Appeal. We are pleased to have found a Michigan attorney willing to work with UFWDA Legal Council, Carla Boucher, to represent GLFWDA and file our suit. The attorney is also willing to grant our non-profit organization a discounted rate.

Jumpin Jackpine
This project is being introduced by the Huron Shores Ranger District to increase Kirtland’s Warbler habitat. There are very few rustic roads being recommended for closure. These roads are also of low value to the wheeling community with no 4wd utilization or outstanding scenic quality. The Project probably would’t ordinarily warrant comment by GLFWDA, however, there are several minor procedural issues that are of concern. GLFWDA has submitted comment to attempt correction of these.

M Triangle
The purpose of this project is to designate the first 4x4 Route in the Huron-Manistee National Forest. We are working diligently to map all of the existing trails and obstacles in the project area. The area is quite large and is defined by M-37, M-55, and M-115. We will work to include as much of the “good stuff” as is practicable during the initial round of development. This will likely be an on-going project that will start small and grow to include more Routes and bigger/ better obstacles as the need is demonstrated and the Service’s concerns are shown to be unfounded or addressable.

Mast Lake
This project proposes the closure of several miles of rustic roads near the Croton-Hardy Damn area. GLFWDA and the Two Trackers Four Wheel Drive Club (The closest GLFWDA Member Club to the project area) GPSed the area and submitted comments suggesting a more appropriate closure plan to retain rustic access to, and through, this portion of the Forest.


STATE ISSUES (DNR)

Advisory Board Meeting
A Director’s Order officially establishing 24” Motorcycle only trails will be issued by the time this hits print. While this has no direct effect on the 4x4 enthusiast, this can act as a precedent for the possible future creation of a separate 4x4 Route designation catering more to our recreation. New ORV system maps will be on line by Memorial Day. The new Draft ORV Plan was discussed. The GLFWDA LUC also utilized the meeting for personal introductions with the new Upper Peninsula ORV Tech, Rob Katona. Mr. Katona fully supports the Drummond Island ORV Route proposal as issued by GLFWDA and its partners.

Drummond Island
It has taken a phenomenal amount of work behind the scenes, but the ORV Route proposal submitted by a joint coalition comprised of GLFWDA, Drummond Island Off Road Club, Jeep Jamboree, Drummond Island Tourist Association, and the Drummond Island Resort Association is meeting with success as of this printing. The FMFM Biologist and Geologist have inspected and approved Marble Head and Connor’s (Log Jam) Hole for probable inclusion, with discussions now revolving around Clear Lake and other sites. While the process appears to be going our way at the moment and approval seems likely, the need for a high intensity writing and phone contact campaign to our DNR and State Legislature may still arise. Please check the GLFWDA website for future announcements, should this become necessary.

State Forest Plan Revision
GLFWDA submitted several comments concerning the Department’s new Draft ORV Plan. These comments resulted in the implementation of more favorable language guiding Event Permit issuance. We are encouraged that the Department will continue to support improvements at St. Helen Motorsport Area and look forward to completion of the full Master Plan approved in 2002. We applaud the Department for considering the inclusion of currently designated, yet highly utilized, “play areas” (compromised sites) and believe this is an outstanding way to increase user enjoyment of the system while substantially reducing development and construction time and cost. It is a tremendous disappointment to find the Department again shifting lead responsibility for the southern Michigan ORV area to enthusiasts and local units of government.

Upper Peninsula Citizen’s Advisory Councils
GLFWDA has been invited to attend two developmental meetings of the Upper Peninsula Citizen Advisory Councils (CACs). The meetings are to provide DNR with information to be used to establish the charter for the CACs. The DNR will be establishing two groups, based on the department’s ecosystem boundaries in the UP. The East UP CAC will cover Alger, Chippewa, Luce, Mackinac, and Schoolcraft counties, with the Western CAC covering the remainder.


County / Local Issues

Monitor Road Closures
The Land Use Committee did not receive notice of any pending Abandonment Proceedings this quarter. However, assistance was rendered to an enthusiast encountering problems with a DNR Conservation Officer on an Allegan County Seasonal Road.

Mounds ORV Park (Rock Course RFP)
The LUC Representative monitoring the Mounds reports that the Rock Crawl proposal contains a lot of content from the GLFWDA proposal. It also added some additional dimensions to help with the understanding of what is desired. It appears courses would be 20 feet wide and 300' long. GLWFDA will find out if RFP is going out and when bids are required.

Kidds in the Mud Extreme Farm
The Stasiaks have lost their Appeal of the Township Zoning. They are still committed to the creation of a private off road park in south-western Michigan and are looking for another location. Your ideas and support are welcome and encouraged. If you know of a suitable piece of land or a motorized recreation friendly Township, please contact Carol and Dave Stasiak at Cstasiak7478@esagelink.com (Cstasiak7478@esagelink.com)or 269-325-2890 or the GLFWDA Land Use Committee at landuse@glfwda.org.


Miscellaneous

KOTARO
The LUC is forming groups of volunteers (members and non-members alike) who are willing to gather GPS data of trails utilizing a uniform set of standards. These groups will be dubbed ’KOTARO Teams’. KOTARO stands for Keep Our Trails And Roads Open. The goal is to gather complete data to submit to the National Forest Service for inclusion in the Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUMs). The Huron MVUM will be published in 2008, the Manistee in the spring of 2009. The maps will be reviewed annually and additional GPS routes may be considered for inclusion. Data gathering will be easiest before publication of the MVUMs make travel on the majority of trails illegal.Contact Pat Brower (landuse@glfwda.org (landuse@glfwda.org).) or Bob DeVore (membershipsecretary@glfwda.org (membershipsecretary@glfwda.org) ) if you are interested in assisting the project.

If you have read this far, read on:

http://www.glfwda.org/showthread.php?t=6372 (http://www.glfwda.org/showthread.php?t=6372)

http://www.glfwda.org/showthread.php?t=6316 (http://www.glfwda.org/showthread.php?t=6316)

http://www.glfwda.org/showthread.php?t=6247 (http://www.glfwda.org/showthread.php?t=6247)

WhiteRhino
July 15th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Bob,
Don't get me wrong. I greatly appreciate Paul's efforts and that is why I wish we could keep him at the much needed local level. It's quite obvious by the lack of activity that the membership is in need of local volunteers.

RE; the liste you just posted, why is it that someone has to ask for this stuff if it was so readily available that you just posted it? To the casual lurker, there isn't much going on. I log in a half dozen times a day and 99% of the time when i click "new posts" there is nothing new. I know you guys are doing stuff but that's only because I happen to know. But what about the new members that are looking to see what their $$$$ went to?

Jarhead
July 15th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Bob,
Don't get me wrong. I greatly appreciate Paul's efforts and that is why I wish we could keep him at the much needed local level. It's quite obvious by the lack of activity that the membership is in need of local volunteers.

RE; the liste you just posted, why is it that someone has to ask for this stuff if it was so readily available that you just posted it? To the casual lurker, there isn't much going on. I log in a half dozen times a day and 99% of the time when i click "new posts" there is nothing new. I know you guys are doing stuff but that's only because I happen to know. But what about the new members that are looking to see what their $$$$ went to?
I don't have the answer, maybe someone else will...but, I have to confess, the list came from our web site: http://www.glfwda.org/showthread.php?t=6269

phittie1100
July 15th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Jeez Bob - it gets cold around here when you blow that much sunshine up my skirt. :lmao:

While I understand and acknowledge your concerns Jim, the simple fact is that we need Carla's expertise and the national ability to coordinate our efforts with other Associations through UFWDA. After being openly critical of the financial components of the new UFWDA business plan, I failed to step up when they (Carla) asked if I would take the Treasurer's position last year. When Trish Groom announced she was resigning mid-term, I figured I had a chance to ease my conscience a bit. I can assure you this extra work will cut into my already limited free time, but I can also assure you that I will continue to do the same things I have done in the past for GLFWDA until the end of my term.

phittie1100
July 15th, 2008, 02:28 PM
I don't have the answer, maybe someone else will...but, I have to confess, the list came from our web site: http://www.glfwda.org/showthread.php?t=6269

I could not make out a single word of Pat's presentation from the last quarterly meeting when I tried to transcribe the minutes from the tape recorder, the sound quality was AWFUL. I called Pat and asked if he could foward his report to me so I could use it for insertion in the minutes, he polished it up for that purpose a couple of weeks ago, and for inclusion in our annual report to UFWDA.

WhiteRhino
July 15th, 2008, 02:39 PM
While I understand and acknowledge your concerns Jim, the simple fact is that we need Carla's expertise and the national ability to coordinate our efforts with other Associations through UFWDA. After being openly critical of the financial components of the new UFWDA business plan, I failed to step up when they (Carla) asked if I would take the Treasurer's position last year. When Trish Groom announced she was resigning mid-term, I figured I had a chance to ease my conscience a bit. I can assure you this extra work will cut into my already limited free time, but I can also assure you that I will continue to do the same things I have done in the past for GLFWDA until the end of my term.

Paul,
I cannot argue with you. I certainly subscribe to the fact that if a person is to be critical, they need to be prepared to "put up or shut up". I commend you for that. :thumb:

Just don't leave us, you're an impotent guy.:wave:

joe_jeep
July 21st, 2008, 02:05 PM
as odd as this will sound im on jims side on this?? id hate to lose paul even a little bit. without Paul, Bob, mark, and Pat B. the association would be very different!! the real hard work done by the bod is handled by those 4 people. they are all very good at the many things they do. the loss of any one them would be very costly to us!

jim is also right that there is less posts and traffic on the website. we need to realize too that its summer and alot of our membership is doing other things. there are alot of other off road sites also. it would be nice to have more traffic on our site though.

congrats anyway paul!! you da man!!

Brian81CJ
July 22nd, 2008, 08:06 AM
Congratulations Paul!:thumb:



On the flip side, the activity level within our own organization is extremely low. I see virtually nothing being posted about ANYTHING on this site. I have not seen any posts by any EBOD member promoting anything or telling us what is going on....... if anything. It scares me that one of our most professional people, and a EBOD member to boot is now going to have his time cut dramatically for what he can provide to GLFWDA. So, we are robbing Paul to pay Peter. Scares me to tell the truth.

Funny, you would think with all the work GLFWDA has put into the Mounds, that this would be the first place they would announce that the Mounds Rock Crawl construction was starting...

WhiteRhino
July 22nd, 2008, 08:55 AM
Congratulations Paul!:thumb:



Funny, you would think with all the work GLFWDA has put into the Mounds, that this would be the first place they would announce that the Mounds Rock Crawl construction was starting...


HUH? I have no idea what you mean as related to quoting me? BTW, the mounds was 100% Jim Mazzola with some proof reading by me......... no others from GLFWDA were involved other than attending the meeting with 50 other non members.

Brian81CJ
July 22nd, 2008, 10:09 AM
HUH? I have no idea what you mean as related to quoting me? BTW, the mounds was 100% Jim Mazzola with some proof reading by me......... no others from GLFWDA were involved other than attending the meeting with 50 other non members.

I was just refering to the comment you made about nothing being posted on this site... I should have cut more out of the quote. My mistake, I thought GL was more involved with the Mounds. That explains why it wasn't mentioned here...

Trail_Fanatic
July 22nd, 2008, 10:31 AM
I too found it interesting that the GLFWDA LUC member who is handling the Mounds issue for the Association elected to place notice of the eminent rock course construction on GL4x4 and not on GLFWDA.

WhiteRhino
July 22nd, 2008, 11:05 AM
I was just refering to the comment you made about nothing being posted on this site... I should have cut more out of the quote. My mistake, I thought GL was more involved with the Mounds. That explains why it wasn't mentioned here...

Makes sense Brian.:thumb:

kb8ymf
July 22nd, 2008, 07:01 PM
I was just refering to the comment you made about nothing being posted on this site... I should have cut more out of the quote. My mistake, I thought GL was more involved with the Mounds. That explains why it wasn't mentioned here...


I too found it interesting that the GLFWDA LUC member who is handling the Mounds issue for the Association elected to place notice of the eminent rock course construction on GL4x4 and not on GLFWDA.

Here's the simple answer; I'm working 14-16 hours a day due to having a class to attend and my managers still wanting my regular job to get done.
I posted up on GL4X4 last night just as before I left work. Once I got home tonight I posted it here. I usually post in both places due to traffic and interest but just got sidetracked last night due to lack of sleep.
Sorry if I offended some. Let's see who gets the first picture of construction of the course.
jim-kb8ymf
jim-kb8ymf

Mudgoer
July 24th, 2008, 02:54 AM
Congrats Paul. I hope it's not a case of hopping from the frying pan into the fire.
Good Luck, Rick