PDA

View Full Version : KY Outback Adventure Park

offroadracer99
May 29th, 2005, 10:46 PM
I was checking out some off road parks and this one caught my interest. It is six hours away from my place, southeast MI, Monroe County, so it is a little bit more of a drive for most others. I was thinking that this could be a possible addition to the current GL runs and end up as the fourth run for the year. None the less it is a nice thought for other clubs and individual members if it does not become an official GL event.

Here is the web site.

http://www.kyorvpark.com/

This is off the KY web site and what Peterson?s 4wheel & Offroad said about it.

"The park is tucked back into a beautiful setting, set on creek beds, rock runs, and old logging and utility access roads through the Appalachian Mountains. Rugged hillclimbs, ridge tops, creeks, mud, rocks, and even an obstacle course should be enough to coax you out of the garage and into the Adventure Park. There are trails for everyone from stockers to the fully modifieds, and we didn't even get through half the park." - Petersen's 4Wheel & Off-Road, May 2004.

It looks like a lot of fun, just check out the web site for all the details.

Mudgoer
May 30th, 2005, 02:34 AM
The July issue of Four Wheeler magazine also has an article called 'Mountain Music' about the place. The pics look interesting.
I believe our V.P. and his Mrs. were there recently.

Rick

WhiteRhino
May 31st, 2005, 08:19 AM
We were there 2 weeks ago with MSG.
Beautiful country and the difficulty ranges from easy to tough. In fact, I managed to explode my Ford 9"!

The park is in it's early stages with no maps or trail markings. They just sort of point you in a direction and say "that trail should give you guys some challenge" or "look for the hill climb on the right".
The park has several rocky streams that run through it and it is cool to just drive up and over the rock ledges.

According to the magazine article, there are something like 32 miles of trails. I am sure we did not cover a third of them.

It is hard to find the place and there are NO SIGNS anywhere. So, I suggest you spend some time doing some homework with maps. I don't think mapquest does a good enough job.

If you are looking to go, pm me and I will give you some help.

Don't go alone!

Jim

offroadracer99
May 31st, 2005, 06:05 PM
I know that they are planning to get up a building soon and they have been talking to the county to get the road repaired, so I would guess trail makers is high on the list too :D . I don't think I will get down there anytime soon, I am thinking next year sometime. When I do plan on going I will put a post on here letting everyone know about a month in advance or more, so if anyone else wants to make plans to go down there too, they won't be alone and will be with other GL members (which would be good for everyone).

Thanks for the offer for the help Jim, maybe you come down next year and show the rest of us some direction if the markers aren't up. :blink: I know my cousin wants to go down there too, so I won't be alone, and I can pull the his Blazer out if he needs it. :P

So sometime next year, maybe I can some of you guys to come wheel with us. Everyone has a year to get ready! :lol:

WhiteRhino
June 1st, 2005, 07:58 AM
Happy to offer!

We would be interested, depending on the schedule. I prefer to wheel in the cooler months. If it's hot and muggy, we enjoy the dunes and lake Michigan. It has been years since GL has done out of state runs other than Gitchee Gumee. Maybe this would be something to plan.

offroadracer99
June 1st, 2005, 08:10 AM
I would be more than happy for GL to plan the event and be an official GL event, even if it is a one time or a new yearly event. The cooler months work good for me too, less bugs. We should keep this ball rolling and bring it up at a meetting and not let it die out. I think this would be a fun event for everyone.