PDA

View Full Version : Content filter?

lgottler
April 15th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Do we have a set of guidelines for posting?

And if not, can we write something up so that if a mod/admin needs to edit/delete a post we have a reason to point to?

Also, would it be out of line to add a "personal attack" policy or something like it? To help keep threads cleaner and more productive without effecting the constructive criticism?

Do we need this?

Lucas

cc
April 15th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Do we need this?

No.

joe_jeep
April 15th, 2008, 12:05 PM
do we need it? probably.
have we let a alot of stuff slide for a long time? yes.
who decides who or what is offensive? thats a tough question!

a no negativity or attack rule for the fourm has been thought of b4!

if someone wants to bring this up at a quartely for discussion it think it would be good.

i know you might not be able to make it to the quarterly lucas, this was not a jab at you in anyway! any member could bring this up for discussion.

Nvrenuf
April 15th, 2008, 12:06 PM
How about a cage?
Let everyone get the stuff out that has been stewing for so long and see how silly it has been. Then delete it after a certain time.

95geo
April 15th, 2008, 12:23 PM
if people act like little kids then treat them like little kids.

I dont see a need for it but the petty **** needs to stop.

Jarhead
April 15th, 2008, 12:33 PM
No.
I have to agree with Kelly on this one.

As much as I don't enjoy the drama and such, at least people have an opportunity to express themselves. If we fail to allow the expression they will simply in turn talk to anyone who will listen.

If we can hear and then try to understand the pent up energies at least we have a tool or idea of what may be broken so we can assist in resolving the issues. Unforetunately, we are going to always have the facts nor are we going to always apease those who become upset.

But if someone becomes upset with the Association and walks away, I for one would like to have a clue as to why. I can't read minds and I don't have the history so many of you do; I am still playing catch up.

Just my 2 cents.

joe_jeep
April 15th, 2008, 12:43 PM
I have to agree with Kelly on this one.

As much as I don't enjoy the drama and such, at least people have an opportunity to express themselves. If we fail to allow the expression they will simply in turn talk to anyone who will listen.

If we can hear and then try to understand the pent up energies at least we have a tool or idea of what may be broken so we can assist in resolving the issues. Unforetunately, we are going to always have the facts nor are we going to always apease those who become upset.

But if someone becomes upset with the Association and walks away, I for one would like to have a clue as to why. I can't read minds and I don't have the history so many of you do; I am still playing catch up.

Just my 2 cents.

bob your right. we do need to understand things, and opinions are important. there also has to be limits. if come on here and talk about someones mama and a goat in an outhouse it needs to be deleted! if we dont set guidelines for when and why something should be deleted its kinda tough. this could also lead to this power being used in an unfair manner against an unpopular person or position. jmho

lgottler
April 15th, 2008, 01:41 PM
I was kinda thinking along the lines of just guidelines. Enforcement would be like the DNR. If one feels like it.

Do we have a warning system for users? Or a way to ban someone for a day etc...after so many infractions? Kinda like detention.

Those type of posts get stuff out in the open, clear some false information that passes around, etc...its a good thing, but seeing it makes you feel ill.

Lucas

lgottler
April 15th, 2008, 01:42 PM
i know you might not be able to make it to the quarterly lucas, this was not a jab at you in anyway! any member could bring this up for discussion.

I take serious offense to that statement....:wah:

joe_jeep
April 15th, 2008, 02:44 PM
:lmao: i offend everyone else. id prefer not to offend you too.

the babys a cutie too, congrats!

grandman
April 15th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Seems i put the rules together for michigan wheelers ill offer some advice .

In your private areas id suggest nothing of the sort . That is where members can hash things out .

In your public area i would suggest a clearly stated rules posting . The sites that have " no rules " allways have rules but they pick and choose when and on who to use them .

Keep the rules simple and appropreiate for the problems you seek to solve .

post that are in question must go to a disscussion preventing the hitler concern already expressed . Any board will run smoother with democracy at the helm and clear rules any one can follow .

I know , who ask me :ironman:

phittie1100
April 15th, 2008, 06:04 PM
I hate to admit it, but I agree with grandman :scared:. I think in the public areas of the website there should some simple rules for moderating content, and they should be posted. To a certain extent we do this already, for example inappropriate pictures of offroad adfventures. But behind "closed doors" I think there shopuld be very little moderation AS LONG AS THE DISCUSSION PERTAINS TO GLFWDA ISSUES. There are plenty of other sites for drama, this does not need to be one of them. And once in a while we should have mandatory ediquette training for all users.

joe_jeep
April 15th, 2008, 06:22 PM
mandatory ediquette training for all users.

its ok i know your really just talking about me!:lmao:

cc
April 15th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Content Filter?

Yet you wanted my post to be deleted??? :confused:

Yes.

Content filter is filtering peoples thoughts, spam filtering is filtering spam.

If you stick around, great. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Jarhead
April 16th, 2008, 09:28 AM
...Do we have a warning system for users? Or a way to ban someone for a day etc...after so many infractions? Kinda like detention.

Lucas
Yes we do, but I for one would have to have Kevin school me on it's usage.

Jarhead
April 16th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Seems i put the rules together for michigan wheelers ill offer some advice .

In your private areas id suggest nothing of the sort . That is where members can hash things out .

In your public area i would suggest a clearly stated rules posting . The sites that have " no rules " allways have rules but they pick and choose when and on who to use them .

Keep the rules simple and appropreiate for the problems you seek to solve .

post that are in question must go to a disscussion preventing the hitler concern already expressed . Any board will run smoother with democracy at the helm and clear rules any one can follow .

I know , who ask me :ironman:
I have to confess, time does not allow me to venture out and visit many of the web sites I would enjoy visiting. Is there a chance you could forward or post the rules, that we could review and adapt. I hate reinventing the wheel when somebody has something that works. Original thoughts come once a year if I am lucky, most of my thoughts have come from harsh lessons I have learned.

shaker
April 16th, 2008, 10:38 AM
http://www.michiganwheelers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238

cc
April 16th, 2008, 11:29 AM
You guys have to be kidding me. Why do adults need rules governing opinions, especially on a website you have be a paying member of to use? Give me a break.

If this website appealed to 7 year olds, it would be different.

Here's a better set of rules:
http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=55852

shaker
April 16th, 2008, 12:55 PM
You guys have to be kidding me. Why do adults need rules governing opinions, especially on a website you have be a paying member of to use? Give me a break.

If this website appealed to 7 year olds, it would be different.

Here's a better set of rules:
http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=55852

I don't think it matters who's rules are better. Just putting up an example for the bod to look at. GLFWDA bod, no doubt will wright their own rules, if they chose to post rules.:thumb:

joe_jeep
April 16th, 2008, 01:41 PM
cc i enjoy your site daily. you by far have the biggest 4x4 site around. your rules work there for the most part.

we try to be a little more pg rated. i have nothing against an r rated or even x rated site. some stuff talked about on your site would not be welcome here. when our members wanna see this stuff they usually go to gl4x4. hopefully when your members wanna have a serious discussion about land use they would come here. we kinda cater to a different side of the same crowd.

we try to be more family friendly. it dont always work, but we try.

grandman
April 16th, 2008, 06:15 PM
You will have to reinvent the wheel to some degree . Each site has a different intention or goal so the rules will be unique to some degree for any site .

Now im not sure about 7 year old but MW does have a 10 year old member . The funny part is HE dont need rules , he's never a problem :lmao:

cc
April 16th, 2008, 07:58 PM
The funny part is HE dont need rules , he's never a problem :lmao:
Do you let him post as payment for pushing around your wheelchair? http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/images/smilies/teehee.gif

grandman
April 16th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Do you let him post as payment for pushing around your wheelchair? http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/images/smilies/teehee.gif

Push ? He has a ford ranger , I hook up a tow strap . GIT R DONE

Trail_Fanatic
April 16th, 2008, 09:51 PM
:lmao:

Reminds me of that kid the wheelchair that got it hooked in the grille of a semi tractor for several miles last summer.

joe_jeep
April 17th, 2008, 11:22 AM
:lmao:

Reminds me of that kid the wheelchair that got it hooked in the grille of a semi tractor for several miles last summer.

that must have been a hell of a ride:ahhh:! its amazing he lived!!

i was tubing last summer and got thrown off at about 55 to 60mph. it was no fun!
can you say 60mph enema!:scared:

oz97tj
April 17th, 2008, 11:36 AM
can you say 60mph enema!:scared:

it'll clean you out good though!!!

JerryD
April 26th, 2008, 11:50 PM
cc i enjoy your site daily. you by far have the biggest 4x4 site around. your rules work there for the most part.

we try to be a little more pg rated. i have nothing against an r rated or even x rated site. some stuff talked about on your site would not be welcome here. when our members wanna see this stuff they usually go to gl4x4. hopefully when your members wanna have a sreious discussion about land use they would come here. we kinda cater to a different side of the same crowd.

we try to be more family friendly. it dont always work, but we try.

x2. Pirate is another one that can be interesting. I don't post too much there because I don't feel like getting my Nuclear Utilization Target Selection system blown off if I make a doofus statement and sometimes GL can be just as fun :lol:! Actually, my ten year old often shoulder surfs when I'm on GLFWDA, so I want to feel relaxed when I visit certain sites.

I'm a club moderator on binderbulletin.org, and although I think they come down a bit hard at times, there is very little drama except in the "free for all" area and the moderator area, and even then it's still PG.

Here's a cut & paste of what the policies are for the Tech Section:
Acceptable ALL the Time:
IH-related Technical Topics
IH-related event and trip info/discussions
IH-related Humor
IH-related Club News
Land-Use Discussions
Vehicle-related Legislation relevant to IH owners
Non-IH-related humor if it's in good taste and *really* funny
Personal messages regarding the health and well-being of Community members, birthday/anniversary greetings, etc.
Questions about where to purchase specific goods and services
"Check out this photo of my truck . . ."Acceptable in MODERATION
Discussions of firearms, the NRA, gyrocopters, Libertarianism and other non-IH topics. (Please use good sense.)
Things not specifically in either the category above or the category below. (If there's enough of it happening, I'll add it in one place or the other.)Never Acceptable
Unsolicited Commercial Messages
Using a business name as your TechTalk "Posted By:" handle/alias
Personal "Classified Ads"
Anything illegal, hateful, hurtful or profane
Anything beyond a "PG" ratingThe guy that owns it, Bill Thebert, started the forum in '97 and these rules have evolved since then. This is what HE uses in a SPECIFIC forum on his board. Obviously, some of these would be less appropriate than others, but you get the idea.

I think the key here isn't "Is the target audience over X years of age"?, it's "Does the association have control of it's website"? It doesn't matter how old someone is; they still might be a moronic jackass that lives to cause trouble for others anonymously and may also be a subscribing member. Without an acceptable use policy that stipulates appropriate behavior and outlines repercussions, the admin & moderators can't do much except admonish the jerk.

cc
April 27th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Nice post Jerry :thumb: