PDA

View Full Version : Need St. Helens Info

ky8t
April 4th, 2005, 10:19 AM
The Wolverines are going to St. Helens MSA in a couple of weeks. Since no one has ever been there, we are looking for information on the MSA, any good nearby trails, and places to camp. We'd be very grateful for any info or advice.

Lee

Creative Fab
April 5th, 2005, 12:20 PM
The MSA is 2 square miles of scramble area, meaning you can travel cross country without the aid of a trail. Just do not run over any Jack pine in the Kirtland Warbler area. No camping allowed in the Scramble area boundries but camping is allowed on the surrounding State land with a camp permit from the DNR.

I am sure there are campgrounds near by but I couldnt give you any names, try their chamber of commerce for more info, and while you are talking to them make sure you tell them that they can expect a group of full size ORV people in their town for the weekend. We do not do a good job of letting these towns we frequent know that we are spending money in their community while enjoying the trails that surround it. The Snow Mobiles do it and look at what they have acomplished.

The south east corner has a couple of good sand hill climbs, this is along Meridian Rd. which is the east border.

When entering the MSA use Airport Rd. on the north end and that si where you will find the parking lot with restrooms and a place to park trailers.

Carter Lake Rd. is the south border, you will find a few boundry markers around the perimeter, unless they have put in the new ones that we put into the "master plan" for the area back when I sat on that committee in 2003.

The only inmprovement, if you can call it that, that was in the Master Plan, and has been acomplished is the clear cutting they done this past winter.

I am still awaiting word about the rocks I had put into this plan.

I am sure some of your club will recognize the area from running Sno Blind, it has some of the same trails that are used by the Mud Chuggers.

Post a report when you return to let us know how it was and if there have been any noticable improvements.

Pat

Mudgoer
April 6th, 2005, 02:09 AM
Thanks Pat, I'll clean out the spiders in the Comanche for that run.

Rick

ky8t
April 6th, 2005, 09:14 AM
Pat,

Where can we get DNR permits to camp in the state forest?

Lee

Originally posted by Ironman@Apr 5 2005, 09:20 AM
No camping allowed in the Scramble area boundries but camping is allowed on the surrounding State land with a camp permit from the DNR.

<div align="right">4694
[/quote]

roll-bar Bob
April 6th, 2005, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by ky8t+Apr 6 2005, 09:14 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ky8t &#064; Apr 6 2005, 09:14 AM)</div>
Pat,

Where can we get DNR permits to camp in the state forest?

Lee

<!--QuoteBegin-Ironman@Apr 5 2005, 09:20 AM
No camping allowed in the Scramble area boundries but camping is allowed on the surrounding State land with a camp permit from the DNR.

<div align="right">4694

<div align="right">4705</div>
[/b][/quote]

we got it from the DNR field office. In Kalkaska when we were two tracking and camping up there last year. :D

RBB B)

6bangler
April 18th, 2005, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by ky8t@Apr 4 2005, 07:19 AM
The Wolverines are going to St. Helens MSA in a couple of weeks. Since no one has ever been there, we are looking for information on the MSA, any good nearby trails, and places to camp. We&#39;d be very grateful for any info or advice.

Lee
<div align="right">4686
[/quote]
yes there is lots of trail in and around sthelen ,motorsports park , pinball trail and more &#33;

Mudgoer
April 20th, 2005, 02:46 AM
We Wolverines met at the St. Helens MSA parking lot last Sat. and did a c.c.w. circuit around the area. When we got to the hills, we had some fun. We had 9 Jeeps and were the only full sizers there. My MJ overheated and a YJ lost a rear driveshaft, so our day was replanned.
Nobody had flags, but they should require them.
If we get to put rocks there, they ought to be near the parking lot.
After lunch at the lake, we scouted a trail in Backus twp.

Rick

Brian
April 20th, 2005, 06:25 AM
Nice to hear most of you had a nice time :)

Any pictures of the trip?

Mudgoer
April 22nd, 2005, 01:23 AM
Yes, I took a few. Nothing dramatic and I don&#39;t know the procedure to get them here.

Rick

Brian
April 24th, 2005, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Mudgoer@Apr 22 2005, 01:23 AM
Yes, I took a few. Nothing dramatic and I don&#39;t know the procedure to get them here.

Rick
<div align="right">4823
[/quote]

You can get a free acount at http://photobucket.com/ or any free picture hosting site.
Upload the pictures there then just copy and paste the link to each picture into your post. :)
I hope that helps if you need more info please ask.