PDA

View Full Version : Steering Box

CovertOps
March 6th, 2005, 09:15 PM
So, I have a question. I just took my jeep for a ride after 2 weeks of sitting while I caught up on my house work... Painting, oh how I love painting. Anyway, I noticed that the steering box is leaking. Seems to be from the top where the steering shaft enters the box. I am not a mechanic, but I can turn a wrench. Is this the first sign of failure? Is there a seal here that just needs to be replaced? Anyone have any thoughts?

Mudgoer
March 7th, 2005, 04:06 AM
Yes, there is a bearing and seal there. You can get a replacement seal kit at parts stores for $20 - $30. A rebuilt unit about $200.

Rick

Guest_CovertOps_*
March 7th, 2005, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by Mudgoer@Mar 7 2005, 04:06 AM
Yes, there is a bearing and seal there. You can get a replacement seal kit at parts stores for $20 - $30. A rebuilt unit about $200.

Rick
<div align="right">4436
[/quote]

So I started my research and I think I might go with a rebuilt unit from PSC down in texas. I just need to decide if I want to go with an upgrade or an OE. Maybe I will go the seal route now that I know that there is that option. Any special tools needed to replace the seal?

March 7th, 2005, 04:29 PM
Mine started to leak last fall, but I put some Lucas Oil, stop leak for Power Steering and it stopped after about 1 week of use.

I planned on upgrading to another stronger box, but not yet. If you search around on Pirate4x4, they have direct bolt in models that some guys use that have larger bores etc... stronger boxes.

I&#39;m steering box stupid right now, I will start my searching sometime this month hopefully and be able to talk about it a bit better :D

Good Luck&#33;

Lucas

lgottler
March 7th, 2005, 09:07 PM
Cool, I didn&#39;t know you could post as a guest&#33; That was me above if there is any confusion :D

Lucas

yogi
March 9th, 2005, 08:28 AM
i heard the stering box from a yj is better than the ones in a tj any one no for sure???/
need mine fixed also.
97 tj

yogi

CovertOps
March 10th, 2005, 05:18 PM
My temporary fix was about the same as the Lucas oil sealer. I got some valvoline fluid with sealer added. It is working for now. Who knows maybe it will hold up for a couple of years?

yogi
March 13th, 2005, 02:11 PM
trust me its only a band aid you will still have to rebuild or replace

yogi

NSANE
March 15th, 2005, 09:28 PM
I have install a few of the upgrade PSC unit on TJ&#39;s and they work very nice. They turn a little quicker too.

lgottler
March 16th, 2005, 06:13 PM
Well, I did a little searching and came up with something that won&#39;t help you at all&#33;&#33;

Well, kinda, I guess a Durango Steering box is larger, but costs like 200 bucks new. Aparently the J20 boxes aren&#39;t larger&#33;? Like I read a few months ago. Still looking into that thou, maybe they meant larger or better than a YJ or CJ box? Who knows.

Anyways....around 100 bucks will get you a hydro assist, if you do most of it yourself. I plan on doing that since I wanted to redo my steering anyways, might as well add this to it. It will cut down the stress on your box about in half. Chevy knuckles, get a hysteer arm for the passenger side, connect drag link there, leave my tie rod in place and do a hydro assist system. I&#39;ll also rebuild my box since I need to drill some holes in it and it did leak.

Good Luck&#33;

Lucas