PDA

View Full Version : An insurance qoute came through!!!

Creative Fab
February 3rd, 2005, 11:44 AM
I receieved a call last night about 6:30 pm from a company I was working with on getting us a policy for trail maintenance. He obviously was working overtime on it becuase they close at 5 pm.

He gave us a qoute of $5624.56 for this coverage annually. However this also covers 4 events and general club liability for meetings and e-board protection.

This is the only company I have been able to get a quote back from, and in talking to other associations it is about 1/5 what they are paying. SFWDA has a $25,000.00 a year policy right now.

Looks like we can have events and do maintenance again!

Get your Troll's Spring Opener application in the mail soon!

Vader5
February 3rd, 2005, 12:33 PM
That is awsome news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll be registering for the Spring Opener Soon.

:D

brewmenn
February 3rd, 2005, 01:41 PM
This is good news. It is probably, however, to late for my proposed winter event. I don't know if we'd be able to get people registered and paid by then as it was to be only 4 weeks from now.

Therefore I would like to propose that I downgrade the "event" to simply a informal, nonsanctioned gathering and trail ride. i don't expect over 20 poeple anyways.

Then I will use what I've learned and begin to plan a winter event for next year, possibly in late January, which will still fulfill the requirement to have a 4th event for the year.

Please let me know if this will be acceptable.

brewmenn
February 3rd, 2005, 02:43 PM
oh... and is there a "per event" fee in addition to the premium?

Roadhouse
February 3rd, 2005, 10:44 PM
Good news Pat!

Bruce, let me know what you need help with for planning next years winter trailride! I can take registrations if that would help you out. Just let me know :D

lgottler
February 4th, 2005, 05:31 PM
My question is what happens if someone wants a 5th run to be sanctioned, is it turned away? Or is there a small fee for each additional?

Lucas

Creative Fab
February 5th, 2005, 08:12 PM
To answer a couple of questions, the price includes up to 4 events.
The agent is looking into how much it is to add additional events.

The Trolls have said they would pay up to $500 to be able to hold the Spring Opener. It was also discussed with a MSG club member and they to would pitch in and match that if that is what is decided on. As a trail ride committee putting on Gitchee we would more than likely do the same.

Once I find out how much they will charge to add events I will post that, and with adding more can bring down the per event fee for coverage than everyone wins and we get more events!

Roadhouse
February 7th, 2005, 10:56 AM
Not to start anything or misqoute something, but for GG why do we need insurance? Its not in our state with the event permit requiring it. Or is it just for general liablity? I'm just saying this because I have heard it mentioned in the past that our insurance was a non issue for GG. If we don't need it for GG, I would rather see us spend that $500 towards a legal fund. After all it would come out of the trailride committe fund, and us trailriders want trails.

Sorry if this post came off in a wrong way, just trying to understand a few things.

PeteC
February 7th, 2005, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the hard work on this matter Pat.

I know this is a controversial subject, but it is something I have talked about since I first heard about it.

Was the topic of "Event Membership" discussed with the insurance agent? It is still in our by-laws as far as I know.

If the insurance company views membership as that which is defined in our by-laws, then I do not see a problem with "event membership" since this is already in the by-laws.

I only bring this up since i still believe it could be a useful tool to bring more people into GLFWDA.

PeteC
February 7th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Roadhouse66@Feb 7 2005, 12:56 PM
Not to start anything or misqoute something, but for GG why do we need insurance? Its not in our state with the event permit requiring it. Or is it just for general liablity? I'm just saying this because I have heard it mentioned in the past that our insurance was a non issue for GG. If we don't need it for GG, I would rather see us spend that $500 towards a legal fund. After all it would come out of the trailride committe fund, and us trailriders want trails.

Sorry if this post came off in a wrong way, just trying to understand a few things.
<div align="right">4128
[/quote]

This is an interesting question. Is this new insurance even valid in Canada? If not, then GG can not be counted as 1 of the 4 events. Just a curious thought.

Creative Fab
February 15th, 2005, 05:38 PM
We would still want to be covered by ins. when we have an event in Canada.
However it would not need the same requirements as the DNR event permit ins. requirements.

So in reallity the heart of our policy being general club liability should theoroetically(sp chk) cover us.

Onto event memberships: I posed the question to the carrier and she told me that as long as they are a member they were covered. This is different from what our past ins. carriers have said. So we can offer event memberships for our trailrides or other activities and still be covered by our policy. If we are going to do that we should probably raise the fee to &#036;10 instead of the current &#036;5. If someone were to do all of the events, given we come up with 4, that person would never feel the need to ever join fully. &#036;20 would gain them entry to all 4 events. Where at &#036;10 they would think about the full membership if they were going to do 4 events, or even just three events.

DDS4X4
February 15th, 2005, 09:45 PM
Sounds good, &#036;10 event membership is still a reasonable fee.
Let&#39;s DO IT ... Git Ir Done.

Roadhouse
February 16th, 2005, 04:17 AM
Next quarterly lest propose the bylaw change of event membership from &#036;5-10. I think this will help bring some people to GG, DOA, Opener, and winter run. It&#39;ll save them &#036;25, then they can see if GL is something they want to join from that point on.